ObjectDataSource SelectMethod TypeName returning a Dataset? is this really a DAL?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jobs, May 31, 2007.

  1. jobs

    jobs Guest

    re: ObjectDataSource SelectMethod TypeName returning a Dataset? is
    this really a DAL?

    Pardon my misguided email on the subject...

    I'm working in asp.net 2.0 and vb.net 2005.

    Say I don't want any SQL code in my presentation layer, and I want all
    my SQL operations accessable through methods I've developed in vb.net
    of a class I will conviently call MyDAL.

    So I will have methods like DeleteIT(), UpdateIT(), InsertIT() .. but
    what about GetAllOfIT()??

    What should GetAllOfThis return? I ask because many of the examples
    out there for DAL are in C# and return what seems like a generic type
    and are defined as such:

    public Lis<IT> GetAllOffIT() { ... }

    with TYPENAME = "IT"

    and i suspect the comparable code in vb.net is :

    Public Shared Function GetAllofIT() As Generic.List(IT)

    and provided there is a class of IT, the TYPENAME of the
    ObjectDataSource would be set to "IT".

    But, say I don't want to have a class of IT and i don't want to use
    Generics. What should my function return so that I can still use
    ObjectDataSource, and does it even make any sense to use
    ObjectDataSource if I won't be creating a Generic Object (and did I
    even say that correctly)? LOL. And even if this is all possible, that
    is, all custom methods doing all the sql operations, with no custom
    class object for the entity - would this be consider typical?
    acceptable or good coding?

    Thanks for any help or information! especially any simple code
    example of use of ObjectDatasource with a selectmethod and typeName
    returning something like a Dataset or a DataTable.
    jobs, May 31, 2007