Objects in a JComboBox

Ike

I want to populate a JComboBox with Objects like the following:

class MyThings{
public int myint;
public String mystring;
}

Suppose I have an ArrayList of these things. I put the mystring Strings into
the JComboBox, which then gets sorted. However, when a selection is made in
the JCombobox, I want to retrieve the myint values (note - the myint values
are unique to each element, the mystring values may not be, i.e. it is much
like a relational database record).

Any idea how best to accomplish this? Thanks Ike

Ike

make an arraylist of MyThings.....
then, Collections.sort() on the arraylist, based on comparing mystring...
iterate through the now sorted ArrayList, jComboBox.additem(...mystring);
When an element is selected in the JComboBox, get the
JComboBox.getSelectedIndex()...this is the index into the sorted ArrayList
where the myint corresponding the the selected mystring can be found......

Jeff

Objects can be placed in a JComboBox. Just make sure your object
implements the toString() method appropriately for display in the list.
Then JComboBox.getSelectedItem() will return the selected MyThing.
There's really nothing to it.

Ike

Ah, right...thats the better way. Thamnks, Ike