obscure coding error

Discussion in 'HTML' started by thedarkman, Apr 24, 2012.

  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    thedarkman, Apr 24, 2012

  2. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    > Other than the removal of the Wayback Machine header I don't see
    > anything very different in the two pages.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net/
    > "Music is essentially useless, as life is." -  George Santayana

    Found it! omitted a "

    thedarkman, Apr 24, 2012

  3. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    On Apr 24, 8:49 pm, thedarkman <>
    wrote:
    > > Other than the removal of the Wayback Machine header I don't see
    > > anything very different in the two pages.

    > > --
    > > Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net/
    > > "Music is essentially useless, as life is." -  George Santayana

    > Found it! omitted a "

    And guess what, now I've corrected it, there are another 20 errors
    showing!

    thedarkman, Apr 24, 2012
  4. thedarkman wrote:

    > On Apr 24, 8:49 pm, thedarkman wrote:

    >> Ed Mullen wrote: [attribute restored]
    >> > Other than the removal of the Wayback Machine header I don't see
    >> > anything very different in the two pages.

    >> Found it! omitted a "

    > And guess what, now I've corrected it, there are another 20 errors
    > showing!

    Great news! Now you're getting closer to how your pages normally test!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 25, 2012
  5. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    > That hardly accounts for the differences.  There is a huge amount of
    > code ommitted in the copy of the original.  And why did you copy the
    > original anyway?

    I didn't copy the original, I wrote the original. I've been going
    through the site, putting in new links to open pages in a new window
    and replacing quotes with smart quotes. The former is where the error
    crept in.

    thedarkman, Apr 25, 2012
  6. thedarkman wrote:

    >> That hardly accounts for the differences. There is a huge amount of
    >> code ommitted in the copy of the original. And why did you copy the
    >> original anyway?
    >>

    > I didn't copy the original, I wrote the original. I've been going
    > through the site, putting in new links to open pages in a new window
    > and replacing quotes with smart quotes. The former is where the error
    > crept in.

    Unfortunately with all your "edits" you are still ignoring basic HTML
    syntax. Until you address the fundamentals all you be doing is going in
    circles. The sad part is HTML syntax is *not that difficult*.

    1) Nested elements FILO

    2) Some elements REQUIRE closing tags, so simplest to remember is to
    close ALL elements except for AREA, BASE, BASEFONT, BR, COL, FRAME, HR,
    IMG, INPUT, LINK, META, and PARAM

    3) Learn which elements are INLINE and those that are BLOCK. Basically,
    inline elements need to be inside at least one block element and inline
    elements cannot contain block elements.

    Until you do the above, you code will be nothing more than a muddle.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO