obscure division by zero conundrum

subnunciation

i know, this shouldnt be a conundrum right? one just shouldnt divide by
zero. but this is suddenly happening *all over* my site. after chasing
the error here and there, i simplified things down to:

response.write cstr(4/2)
response.end

and i STILL get the error:
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000b'
Division by zero
[followed by the line on which the error occurs]

so i know it's not my code. how can you get a division by zero error
when you're dividing with CONSTANTS??? did i change some obscure
setting or something?
now mind you, i tried "response.write cstr(4+2)" and the system managed
to output "6".

what the heck is this? please help!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

i know, this shouldnt be a conundrum right? one just shouldnt divide
by zero. but this is suddenly happening *all over* my site. after
chasing the error here and there, i simplified things down to:

response.write cstr(4/2)
response.end

and i STILL get the error:
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000b'
Division by zero
[followed by the line on which the error occurs]
Are you saying that if you create a page containing only:
<%
response.write cstr(4/2)
response.end
%>
and run it, you get this error?
If so, I cannot reproduce it and I have no idea what would cause it.

kiana

after 3hrs of struggling, the error went away as randomly as it came.
instead of using those two lines as flags in the page giving me errors,
i created a page called divby0.asp with *only* those two lines and
pointed all other pages to it. after clicking around a bit and not
getting the error on divby0.asp, i reassigned all the original links
and everything was back to normal.

weird isnt it? this is the type of error that makes me uncomfortable bc
i know it could pop back at any moment, but thanks for the inspiration!