obtaining client side IP

Paul

Hi,

Is their a client side VBscript command that I can use to post the local IP
address of the machine back to my web server.

I want to obtain the client's side IP address of their machine. However
because my IIS stands behind a firewall and uses reverse hosting techniques,
the http headers contains the firewall's IP instead of the client's.

Thanks,

Jason Brown [MSFT]

Given that the machine is behind a firewall, what use is the local IP going
to be to you? it's likely to be 192.168.0.12 or something similar, i.e. a
local IP address, not a fully-fledged internet address. This will not
uniquely identify a machine.

Yes, an internal IP *and* an external IP would do a better job, but it's
still not a valid unique identifier. For instance, my home machines are
distributed around behind a few routers, in tiers, but they all appear to be
behind my front-end IP, however I can make two or three machines inside
appear to have the same internal IP address (192.168.0.2, or simlar) quite
easily. Just takes a little fiddling with router settings.

So what I'm trying to say is that before any other considerations such as
privacy or security, the local IP is immeidately of limited use. Though that
depends why you want it.

Jason Brown [MSFT]

I've just re-read your question and I'm no longer 100% clear. I had thought
you meant the client was behind a NAT, now it looks like you're saying the
server is behind one? and all clients are reported as being the firewall?

--
Jason Brown
Microsoft GTSC, IIS

Evertjan.

Paul wrote on 19 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Is their a client side VBscript command that I can use to post the
local IP address of the machine back to my web server.

Not using ASP.

ASP is unaware that there is such a thing called clientside.

Please ask in a clientside or vbscript NG.

[though I doubt there is such command,
and if there where it would only work in IE]

Paul

Dear Jason,

I am trying to script a web-based conferencing website using netmeeting
which is commonly available on all PCs. I am using the h.323 gatekeeper on
ISA for registering internal users for internet clients to place calls to;
so that part is fine. The part that is creating problems is scripting for
internal users to place calls to internet users, because the internal users
need to know the IP address of the internet clients' internet IP address
before placing a call, which could change each time internet users connect
their notebooks to the internet. Since these will be business users, I can
not reasonably ask the internet users to enter their internet IP each time
they connect as that would be deemed as too technical for some, if not all
of them. If I can obtain the internet ip address of the external users when
they visit our IIS server (sitting behind the ISA firewall), then hiding all
the connection parameters from the users would go a long way to making the
whole thing easy to use and usable in a business context. ISA strips out the
originating internet IP address in web publishing.

Thanks,

Paul

Will try vbscript group.

Evertjan. said:
Paul wrote on 19 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Is their a client side VBscript command that I can use to post the
local IP address of the machine back to my web server.

Not using ASP.

ASP is unaware that there is such a thing called clientside.

Please ask in a clientside or vbscript NG.

[though I doubt there is such command,
and if there where it would only work in IE]

Jeff Cochran

Is their a client side VBscript command that I can use to post the local IP
address of the machine back to my web server.

Sure. Only this isn't a client side VBScript group.

Jeff