    because my IIS stands behind a firewall and uses reverse hosting techniques,
    the http headers contains the firewall's IP instead of the client's.

    Thanks,

    Paul, May 19, 2005

  2. Given that the machine is behind a firewall, what use is the local IP going
    to be to you? it's likely to be 192.168.0.12 or something similar, i.e. a
    local IP address, not a fully-fledged internet address. This will not
    uniquely identify a machine.

    Yes, an internal IP *and* an external IP would do a better job, but it's
    still not a valid unique identifier. For instance, my home machines are
    distributed around behind a few routers, in tiers, but they all appear to be
    behind my front-end IP, however I can make two or three machines inside
    appear to have the same internal IP address (192.168.0.2, or simlar) quite
    easily. Just takes a little fiddling with router settings.

    So what I'm trying to say is that before any other considerations such as
    privacy or security, the local IP is immeidately of limited use. Though that
    depends why you want it.

    --
    Jason Brown
    Microsoft GTSC, IIS

    Jason Brown [MSFT], May 19, 2005

  3. I've just re-read your question and I'm no longer 100% clear. I had thought
    you meant the client was behind a NAT, now it looks like you're saying the
    server is behind one? and all clients are reported as being the firewall?

    --
    Jason Brown
    Microsoft GTSC, IIS

    Jason Brown [MSFT], May 19, 2005
  4. Paul

    Evertjan. Guest

    Paul wrote on 19 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Is their a client side VBscript command that I can use to post the
    > local IP address of the machine back to my web server.

    Not using ASP.

    ASP is unaware that there is such a thing called clientside.

    Please ask in a clientside or vbscript NG.

    [though I doubt there is such command,
    and if there where it would only work in IE]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., May 19, 2005
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Dear Jason,

    I am trying to script a web-based conferencing website using netmeeting
    which is commonly available on all PCs. I am using the h.323 gatekeeper on
    ISA for registering internal users for internet clients to place calls to;
    so that part is fine. The part that is creating problems is scripting for
    internal users to place calls to internet users, because the internal users
    need to know the IP address of the internet clients' internet IP address
    before placing a call, which could change each time internet users connect
    their notebooks to the internet. Since these will be business users, I can
    not reasonably ask the internet users to enter their internet IP each time
    they connect as that would be deemed as too technical for some, if not all
    of them. If I can obtain the internet ip address of the external users when
    they visit our IIS server (sitting behind the ISA firewall), then hiding all
    the connection parameters from the users would go a long way to making the
    whole thing easy to use and usable in a business context. ISA strips out the
    originating internet IP address in web publishing.

    Thanks,

    > I've just re-read your question and I'm no longer 100% clear. I had

    thought
    > you meant the client was behind a NAT, now it looks like you're saying the
    > server is behind one? and all clients are reported as being the firewall?
    >

    > --
    > Jason Brown
    > Microsoft GTSC, IIS

    rights.

    Paul, May 19, 2005
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Will try vbscript group.

    Paul, May 19, 2005
  7. Paul

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:20:19 +0700, "Paul" <>
    wrote:

    >Is their a client side VBscript command that I can use to post the local IP
    >address of the machine back to my web server.

    Sure. Only this isn't a client side VBScript group.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, May 19, 2005