    but it's not a major requirment. anyone with any pointers or idea's i'm
    all ears. i'd really not like to have to use somthing like imagemagick
    and start from scratch.

    Timothy Smith, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Timothy Smith

    Josef Meile Guest

    Josef Meile, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Timothy Smith

    Larry Bates Guest

    You need to specify a "platform" you will be running on. I've had
    good experience with ExperVision's RTK toolkit on Windows. It is not
    free, but it is very, very good. Sometimes software is actually
    worth paying for ;-).

    Larry Bates

    Larry Bates, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Timothy Smith

    Josef Meile Guest

    Hi Timothy,

    first at all, sorry if you receive this message twice, but I sent a
    message five hours ago and I don't see it on
    mail.python.org/python-list.

    Now at least the OP will receive it since I included it in a CC.

    This thread may give you an start:
    http://groups.google.ch/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/362ac64a3c3aece2/

    It mentioned how to call simpleocr, which according to the website:
    http://www.simpleocr.com

    it is Royalty Free. I haven't tried it, so, I can say how accurate it
    is.

    Regards,
    Josef

    Josef Meile, Sep 12, 2005
  5. Larry Bates wrote:

    >You need to specify a "platform" you will be running on. I've had
    >good experience with ExperVision's RTK toolkit on Windows. It is not
    >free, but it is very, very good. Sometimes software is actually
    >worth paying for ;-).
    >
    >Larry Bates
    >

    >Timothy Smith wrote:
    >

    >>i'm looking for ocr librarys with reasonably free licensing and the
    >>ablity to use python with them. c library's that i can call from python
    >>are acceptable.
    >>so far all i have run into is voodoo and wild claims. i've tried gocr,
    >>and it wasn't very impressive. i'm like to be able to ocr handwriting
    >>but it's not a major requirment. anyone with any pointers or idea's i'm
    >>all ears. i'd really not like to have to use somthing like imagemagick
    >>and start from scratch.

    i know it's worth paying for a good one. i built a system that read
    barcodes off images once and it used a paid for library.

    Timothy Smith, Sep 12, 2005
  6. Timothy Smith

    robocop

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1

    I'm doing research for the same type of project. May i ask what libraries you used for yours?

    robocop, Oct 13, 2008