OCR librarys

Timothy Smith

i'm looking for ocr librarys with reasonably free licensing and the
ablity to use python with them. c library's that i can call from python
are acceptable.
so far all i have run into is voodoo and wild claims. i've tried gocr,
and it wasn't very impressive. i'm like to be able to ocr handwriting
but it's not a major requirment. anyone with any pointers or idea's i'm
all ears. i'd really not like to have to use somthing like imagemagick
and start from scratch.

Josef Meile

Larry Bates

You need to specify a "platform" you will be running on. I've had
good experience with ExperVision's RTK toolkit on Windows. It is not
free, but it is very, very good. Sometimes software is actually
worth paying for ;-).

Larry Bates

Josef Meile

Hi Timothy,

first at all, sorry if you receive this message twice, but I sent a
message five hours ago and I don't see it on
mail.python.org/python-list.

Now at least the OP will receive it since I included it in a CC.

This thread may give you an start:
http://groups.google.ch/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/362ac64a3c3aece2/

It mentioned how to call simpleocr, which according to the website:
http://www.simpleocr.com

it is Royalty Free. I haven't tried it, so, I can say how accurate it
is.

Regards,
Josef

Timothy Smith

Larry said:
You need to specify a "platform" you will be running on. I've had
good experience with ExperVision's RTK toolkit on Windows. It is not
free, but it is very, very good. Sometimes software is actually
worth paying for ;-).

Larry Bates

Timothy Smith wrote:
i know it's worth paying for a good one. i built a system that read
barcodes off images once and it used a paid for library.

Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Timothy Smith said:
Larry Bates wrote:

>You need to specify a "platform" you will be running on. I've had
>good experience with ExperVision's RTK toolkit on Windows. It is not
>free, but it is very, very good. Sometimes software is actually
>worth paying for ;-).
>
>Larry Bates
>

>Timothy Smith wrote:
>

>>i'm looking for ocr librarys with reasonably free licensing and the
>>ablity to use python with them. c library's that i can call from python
>>are acceptable.
>>so far all i have run into is voodoo and wild claims. i've tried gocr,
>>and it wasn't very impressive. i'm like to be able to ocr handwriting
>>but it's not a major requirment. anyone with any pointers or idea's i'm
>>all ears. i'd really not like to have to use somthing like imagemagick
>>and start from scratch.

i know it's worth paying for a good one. i built a system that read
barcodes off images once and it used a paid for library.

I'm doing research for the same type of project. May i ask what libraries you used for yours?