OCR-resistent images

Brian

Hi -

Not sure if they've coined a name for these yet, but many web sites (google,
yahoo, etc) use OCR-resistant images to either slow down a brute force
password attack or to verify that a human is on the other side. Seems like
an ideal solution to prevent hacking issues without actually locking
accounts.

Is there a library out there for .NET (preferrably C#)?

Thanks.

Darrel

Not sure if they've coined a name for these yet, but many web sites
(google, yahoo, etc) use OCR-resistant images to either slow down a brute
force password attack or to verify that a human is on the other side.

It's called a captcha
Seems like an ideal solution to prevent hacking issues without actually
locking accounts.

It's hardly ideal, as it annoys most human users and can be completely
inaccessible for others. It's a last-resort option. Or at least, should be.
Is there a library out there for .NET (preferrably C#)?

I'm sure there is. Just google 'captcha + C#' and you should find something.

That said, if this is mainly just to prevent bots, I'd suggest using a plain
english captcha:

enter the letter 'd':
what color is an orange?:

etc.

Still not completely accessible, but a LOT nice than the crazy optical
illustion things.

-Darrel