OCR

zero

Hi all,

My brother asked me to look into making an OCR program specifically for old
texts (which modern OCR programs don't read correctly). Has someone here
done any OCR programming, or does someone have any hints or know of some
resources that can help me get started?

TIA
Zero

Roedy Green

My brother asked me to look into making an OCR program specifically for old
texts (which modern OCR programs don't read correctly).

I think the newer programs learn the fonts as you go. You have to
train them with a lot of manual correction and first.
At least give ScanSoft TextBridge a try before you launch out on such
a major project.

zero

I think the newer programs learn the fonts as you go. You have to
train them with a lot of manual correction and first.
At least give ScanSoft TextBridge a try before you launch out on such
a major project.

A second problem with existing OCR software is the price... But thanks for
the suggestion :)

David Segall

zero said:
A second problem with existing OCR software is the price... But thanks for
the suggestion :)
I don't think $80.00 <http://www.nuance.com/textbridge/> should be a
problem. Even if your labour is free you will have spent more than
eighty dollars in wear and tear on your hardware before you finish
this project :)