ODBC access

Discussion in 'Java' started by Glenn Robinson, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I'm writing some java code that reads data from a DB2 table on an IBM
    iSeries which is then used to update a Clipper database on a Windows
    server.

    We have been instructed that the majority of the code needs to run on the
    iSeries where the DB2 database exists and as little as possible on the
    Windows server.

    The ODBC driver that is supplied with Windows has the capability to access
    the .DBF files used by Clipper so I am planning to use that to read/write
    the Clipper database.

    If my java class is running on the iSeries server then what's the best way
    of accessing the ODBC driver on the remote Windows server?

    I have considered using sockets to pass the data between two java classes
    and also looked at RMI.

    Any comments on using these approaches?

    Is there another way of doing this?

    Thanks

    --

    Glenn
    Glenn Robinson, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Glenn Robinson

    Oscar kind Guest

    Glenn Robinson <> wrote:
    > The ODBC driver that is supplied with Windows has the capability to access
    > the .DBF files used by Clipper so I am planning to use that to read/write
    > the Clipper database.
    >
    > If my java class is running on the iSeries server then what's the best way
    > of accessing the ODBC driver on the remote Windows server?

    With a JDBC-ODBC bridge (essentially a JDBC driver). See:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jdbc/getstart/bridge.doc.html

    > I have considered using sockets to pass the data between two java classes
    > and also looked at RMI.
    >
    > Any comments on using these approaches?

    I don't know if RMI is possible, but direct access is an option. It's a
    horrible option IMHO, because it's much easier to use a JDBC-ODBC bridge to
    access toe ODBC driver. See above.

    kind regards,
    Oscar

    --
    Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/

    Oscar kind, Jun 13, 2004

  3. "Oscar kind" <> wrote in message
    > Glenn Robinson <> wrote:
    > > The ODBC driver that is supplied with Windows has the capability to

    access
    > > the .DBF files used by Clipper so I am planning to use that to

    read/write
    > > the Clipper database.
    > >
    > > If my java class is running on the iSeries server then what's the best

    way
    > > of accessing the ODBC driver on the remote Windows server?

    > With a JDBC-ODBC bridge (essentially a JDBC driver). See:
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jdbc/getstart/bridge.doc.html
    >

    > > I have considered using sockets to pass the data between two java

    classes
    > > and also looked at RMI.
    > >
    > > Any comments on using these approaches?

    > I don't know if RMI is possible, but direct access is an option. It's a
    > horrible option IMHO, because it's much easier to use a JDBC-ODBC bridge

    > access toe ODBC driver. See above.
    >

    > kind regards,
    > Oscar
    >
    > --
    > Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/
    > Software Developer for contact information, see website
    >
    > PGP Key fingerprint: 91F3 6C72 F465 5E98 C246 61D9 2C32 8E24 097B B4E2

    I did look at this but didn't think it allowed what I wanted.

    So, your saying that using the JDBC-ODBC bridge I can run my Java code on
    one server and use the ODBC driver located on another server?

    --

    Glenn
    Glenn Robinson, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Glenn Robinson

    Oscar kind Guest

    Glenn Robinson <> wrote:
    > I did look at [the JDBC-ODBC bridge] but didn't think it allowed what
    > I wanted.
    >
    > So, your saying that using the JDBC-ODBC bridge I can run my Java code
    > on
    > one server and use the ODBC driver located on another server?

    My mistake: I forgot that you're trying to access an ODBC driver as if it
    were a database. AFAIK this is not possible.

    However, the link I posted also refers to this site:
    http://servlet.java.sun.com/products/jdbc/drivers

    Here you can find database drivers for any kind of database, among which
    Clipper.

    kind regards,
    Oscar

    --