ODBC driver needed need for the java app

Mahesh

Hi,

Do anyone have idea of the ODBC driver needed for a simple java
application accessing the ORACLE DB? do we need to
1. install the oracle client in local (for the ODBC driver) Or
2.the ODBC driver for oracle installed with windows will be
sufficient?

Thanks in advance,
Mahesh

Lew

Mahesh said:
Hi,

Do anyone have idea of the ODBC driver needed for a simple java
application accessing the ORACLE DB? do we need to
1. install the oracle client in local (for the ODBC driver) Or
2.the ODBC driver for oracle installed with windows will be
sufficient?

You'd be better off using the JDBC driver. Oracle provides one for free
download (ojdbc,jar - there might be a version number embedded in the name,
I'm not sure).

Snoop around Oracle's database site and you'll find it.

-- Lew

Mahesh

thanks Lew,
I will be installing this app in different machines, so need to know
whether we need to install any driver or the drver avaialble with
windows is sufficient?

Thanks,
Mahesh

Lew

Mahesh said:
thanks Lew,
I will be installing this app in different machines, so need to know
whether we need to install any driver or the drver avaialble with
windows is sufficient?

Oracle's JDBC drivers are written in Java. Since JDBC is used from Java only,
it is safe to assume that there will be Java available on any machine where
you use JDBC. It is like any other JAR in the application's classpath that way.

-- Lew

Chris Uppal

Mahesh said:
I will be installing this app in different machines, so need to know
whether we need to install any driver or the drver avaialble with
windows is sufficient?

Windows doesn't come with any kind of driver for Oracle (unless there's
something new in Vista). So whether you use the Oracle JDBC driver or the
Oracle ODBC driver, you'll have to install /something/ on the users' machines.

And the JDBC<->ODBC bridge which comes with Java is not intended for production
use, so the chances are that the Oracle JDBC driver will work best.

-- chris

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Mahesh said:
I will be installing this app in different machines, so need to know
whether we need to install any driver or the drver avaialble with
windows is sufficient?

Actually Oracle comes with 2 JDBC drivers.

The OCI requires Oracle Client installed on the system.

The thin does not require anything installed on the system.

I will strongly recommend the thin JDBC driver.

The jar in classpath, load the driver, use the
correct connection URL and you are going.

Arne