    to an ODBC compatible database via a Win32 DSN name from the Sun or Linux?

    --
    Average Joe

    Average Joe, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Average Joe

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Average Joe" <> wrote in message
    news:bUKxd.58222$DC.25101@fed1read03...
    >I am using a Sun Sparc Solaris 8 or Linux x86, doesn't matter. I want to be
    >able to modify a database via perl. The only way to get to the database is
    >via a Win32 DSN. I'm new to this so can I access the database directly? I
    >do not know what DB server is running, just that it is ODBC compliant. Is
    >there a perl ODBC module that allows me to connect to an ODBC compatible
    >database via a Win32 DSN name from the Sun or Linux?

    You're probably better off finding out exactly what type of database you're
    connecting to and using the appropriate DBD driver.

    If you have to go the ODBC route, you'll still need to know what type of
    database it is so you can get the appropriate ODBC driver. You'll also need
    unixODBC or some other manager and the Perl DBI and DBD::ODBC modules.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Dec 21, 2004