odbc project

vaib

hi to all.
usenet is where i come back when i need some serious help.
i have to do a project using c++ and sql , ie , i have to use odbc .
the problem as always is of time . i use visual studio c++ and am
willing to use microsoft sql server ( any other wud also do fine and i
can also use any other compiler of c++ ).but the problem is that i do
not know a thing about odbc nor do i know how to get started with it.i
would be very greateful if people out there could help me out with
this.it would be great if anyone could send me a project code.kindly
tell me the learning curve involved in this and cite some usefull
sources and books ( online or otherwise ) . just tell me how to get
started with my project and maybe send some code too ( can mail it to
me ).any simple project would be fine , i just want to learn odbc .

willing to learn and thanking all in anticipation . vaibhav .

Victor Bazarov

vaib said:
[..] the problem is that i do
not know a thing about odbc nor do i know how to get started with it.
[..]

Find a book and read it. It can't be too hard.

Also, consider that ODBC has nothing to do with C++ language, so you
have posted in a wrong newsgroup, twice within 5 minutes.

douggunnoe

vaib said:
[..] the problem is that i do
not know a thing about odbc nor do i know how to get started with it.
[..]

Find a book and read it. It can't be too hard.

Also, consider that ODBC has nothing to do with C++ language, so you
have posted in a wrong newsgroup, twice within 5 minutes.

"consider that ODBC has nothing to do with C++ language"

What about hot babes and other such spam? Does that have to do with C+
+?

Considering this isn't a spam post, and the post at least mentions C+
+, I think you could cut the guy some slack.

To answer the question of the OP: ODBC is just a way to connect to the
DB and if you're using Visual Studio like you say, their is a wizard
that will set up the ODBC project for you. You really don't have to
worry much about the ODBC part of it.

Look in your visual studio help library for the CRecordSet class
(IIRC) and read up on this. This will show you how to iterate through
records and query the DB, etc.

Good luck.

douggunnoe

* (e-mail address removed):
[off-topic]

Please read the FAQ before posting.

- Alf

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

I don't doubt I'm incorrect.

However, did it take much more effort to make the post I made than to
slop up a smart ass, rude comment?

I realize the need to keep on topic, but being a smart ass toward
people isn't nice.

Richard James

I don't doubt I'm incorrect.

However, did it take much more effort to make the post I made than to
slop up a smart ass, rude comment?

I realize the need to keep on topic, but being a smart ass toward
people isn't nice.

There are some people that think that the people using the newsgroup should
serve the FAQ. These people are obviously deluded. Don't pay any attention
to them because anyone who doesn't know that the FAQ serves the people is a
moron. Keep up the good work helping people.

Richard James

douggunnoe

There are some people that think that the people using the newsgroup should
serve the FAQ. These people are obviously deluded. Don't pay any attention
to them because anyone who doesn't know that the FAQ serves the people is a
moron. Keep up the good work helping people.

Richard James

Thanks Richard. I know the frustration of searching for an answer to a
rather straight forward question and coming up empty because either:

1. People answer questions, but really don't know what the hell they
are talking about
2. People know the answer perfectly well, but had much rather take the
opportunity to be a condescending ass.

And as to my failing, and that of the OP, of not sticking to the
subject of ANSI C++, I think our time would have been better spent in
the thread

"Who wants to find, approach & talk to Girls who love c++?"

And I hope for the author of that thread's sake, these girls love ANSI
C++.

Victor Bazarov

Richard said:
What is really absurd about this is that there is a recycling
of bad behavior going on here. [...snip...]
If you don't like Off Topic [OT] posts then just
don't reply. I mean really how hard can it be to ignore those posts?

Do you see what you're doing?

If you don't like people reacting to [OT] posts in their preferred
manner, just ignore those replies. I mean really how hard can it be
to let everybody do what they are entitled to in an unmoderated
newsgroup?

See the point? No?

Somebody posts OT, then somebody else complains about the OT post,
then the OP complains about rudeness, then you side with the bozo
and chime in with your valuable analysis, then I show you how you
are wasting bandwidth... When is it going to end??? And it all
starts with an off-topic post, which has no business of being here
_in the first place_. Now, whose fault is that? Those who can't
ignore OT posts? Ppplease.

You need the last word? You may have it. Go ahead.

Richard James

Thanks Richard. I know the frustration of searching for an answer to a
rather straight forward question and coming up empty because either:

1. People answer questions, but really don't know what the hell they
are talking about
2. People know the answer perfectly well, but had much rather take the
opportunity to be a condescending ass.

And as to my failing, and that of the OP, of not sticking to the
subject of ANSI C++, I think our time would have been better spent in
the thread

"Who wants to find, approach & talk to Girls who love c++?"

And I hope for the author of that thread's sake, these girls love ANSI
C++.

:)

What is really absurd about this is that there is a recycling of bad
behavior going on here.

When someone starts out in C++ they tend to think in terms of oh this is so
cool I will use Object Orientation everywhere and end up with a complete
mess. Later on they realise that OO is just a tool and it has its place.

Then they come to this newsgroup read the FAQ that says.
"First of all, please keep in mind that comp.lang.c++ is a group for
discussion of general issues of the C++ programming language, as defined by
the ANSI/ISO language standard. If you have a problem that is specific to a
particular system or compiler, you are much more likely to get complete and
accurate answers in a group that specializes in your platform. A listing of
some newsgroups is given at the end of this post."

Now nowhere in that does it say if someone does post something offtopic you
should tell them so in a rude manner. But of course the FAQ is this new
fangled technology and we are going to overengineer it to help us shoot
ourselves in the foot.

Eventually these people might realise that the FAQ is a tool like OO and has
its place. If you don't like Off Topic [OT] posts then just don't reply. I
mean really how hard can it be to ignore those posts?

Richard James

vaib

well thanks to all of you . i just came here since this newsgroup also
helped me a lot in my lexer project . and i use ANSI C++ only . i only
use the standards . and yes something should be done about the spam
posts . its really very frustrating .