Odd behavior in 2005 with base page classes

craig.wagner

I have converted two ASP.NET 1.1 applications to ASP.NET 2.0. Each one
had some odd results, most of which I've been able to address. I'm
looking for some confirmation/advice.

Both applications use a base page class inherited from
System.Web.UI.Page. In both cases my base page class is in a separate
folder of the web application (e.g. c:\mywebapp\baseclass).

When I converted the second application, the wizard was insistent on
creating an abstract stub for my base class, which messed everything up
royally (circular reference errors). I unwound that. The wizard seems a
little indiscrimanent about applying that particular coding pattern to
my applications, btw.

Anyway, upon first trying to compile my app I got errors that it
couldn't find my base page class. I resolved that by adding the
following to each page that complained about not finding the base
class.

<%@ Reference Page="~/BaseClasses/basepage.aspx" %>

Everything is now compiling without error, but I am getting a lot of
warnings like the following.

Warning 2 'Nwea.BlueWater.GenericError.Profile' hides inherited
member 'Nwea.BlueWater.BaseClasses.BasePage.Profile'. Use the new
keyword if hiding was intended.
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\bluewateradmin\4c8ac349\b294ab7\App_Web_rga8akwb.0.cs 45
Warning 3 'Nwea.BlueWater.GenericError.ApplicationInstance' hides
inherited member
'Nwea.BlueWater.BaseClasses.BasePage.ApplicationInstance'. Use the new
keyword if hiding was intended.
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\bluewateradmin\4c8ac349\b294ab7\App_Web_rga8akwb.0.cs 51

I only get these in one of my converted projects, not the other (and
they both use a base page class). The problem is that the warning is
showing up in files that are being generated for me.

Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers?

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Hi Craig,

Ah yes, the pain of upgrading real world projects <g>...

The issues you are encountering are due to the fact that ASP.NET changes the
way page inheritance works in 2.0. Add to that the abstraction that the
Conversion Wizard adds and you end up with some cases where you get errors
like you're experiencing.

Now in your case the properties happen to be ASP.NET internal properties. Do
you really have these properties implemented somewhere in your page
hierarchy? Profile is a new ASP.NET property on the page class so if you had
an existing Profile property there will be a conflict. This may not be a
problem and you can simply add the New keyword as described. But if you do
have a conflict then your only choice will be to rename...

+++ Rick --

--

Rick Strahl
West Wind Technologies

craig.wagner

I don't have properties with those names on my own pages. Adding the
"new" keyword doesn't seem like an option, given that I'm seeing the
error on code that is being generated for me during the compilation
phase.