Odd CSS question

justin.harper

I have a question. I want to display a link, except when I display the
link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from the
word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a different
effect. The problem is, I know there's a way to do it, but I can't for
the life of me remember what it is. If you know how to do it, or you
at least know a site that does it, could you please post it here?
Thank you.

Roy Schestowitz

justin.harper said:
I have a question. I want to display a link, except when I display the
link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from the
word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a different
effect. The problem is, I know there's a way to do it, but I can't for
the life of me remember what it is. If you know how to do it, or you
at least know a site that does it, could you please post it here?
Thank you.

You want something like the following in your stylesheet/s:

a:visited {
color: #000000;
text-decoration:line-through;
}

Hope it helps,

Roy

Jukka K. Korpela

justin.harper said:
when I display
the link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from
the word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a
different effect.

You are almost surely trying to do the wrong thing. If you had posted a
URL and told why you wish to mess around with the common rendering of
links, we might discuss whether it makes some sense.

While you are at it, you might also consider what you mean by an
underline appearing "right up on the word". This would help in
selecting the correct technical advice in the very rare case where the
very idea makes sense.
The problem is, I know there's a way to do it,
but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

And you even found it impossible to describe what you want, on the
Subject line? "Odd CSS question" is a nonsensical subject.

Roy Schestowitz

Jukka said:
You are almost surely trying to do the wrong thing. If you had posted a
URL and told why you wish to mess around with the common rendering of
links, we might discuss whether it makes some sense.

While you are at it, you might also consider what you mean by an
underline appearing "right up on the word". This would help in
selecting the correct technical advice in the very rare case where the
very idea makes sense.

And you even found it impossible to describe what you want, on the
Subject line? "Odd CSS question" is a nonsensical subject.

I agree on that last point. I hate it when people give a teaser rather than
a description. It then gets bound a wrong <title> element in the archives,
which in turn messes up search engines and makes the Internet a jumble of
words.

Roy

Jukka K. Korpela

justin.harper said:

It's a GIF image containing the text "Corporate Mail" in a ridiculously
tiny font and underlined in a manner that makes it more difficult to
read. Moreover, it's (almost?) black, so is it a link or not?

You posted a tiny image. You were asked to post the URL of the page
that demonstrates what you are really trying to accomplish.

It looks virtually certain that your attempt at making the underline
somehow different from normal link underline is misguided. It's
probably just one part of the problem you've created.

justin.harper

Jukka,

If I knew the URL of the page that demonstrates what I was trying to
accomplish, I would be able to look at the source code, and I wouldn't
have a question, now would I?

If you have nothing productive to say, why don't you shut up and go do
something worthwhile with your life. It's obvious that you don't know
the answer to my question, so shut the hell up!

Barbara de Zoete

If you have nothing productive to say, why don't you shut up and go do
something worthwhile with your life. It's obvious that you don't know
the answer to my question, so shut the hell up!

lol

You might as well ask straight forward to be shunned for life. Silly
thing, really. Expecting to find a helpdesk in a usenet newsgroup gets it
done too, especially if that expectation find its way as a rude expression

Bummer, you just lost.

Toby Inkster

justin.harper said:
I have a question. I want to display a link, except when I display the
link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from the
word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a different
effect.

Only tested in Opera 8b3:

http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/weird-underline

Perhaps you'll need to adjust the "em" measurements to get it to work in
other browsers.

Sentient Fluid

justin.harper said:
Jukka,

If I knew the URL of the page that demonstrates what I was trying to
accomplish, I would be able to look at the source code, and I wouldn't
have a question, now would I?

If you have nothing productive to say, why don't you shut up and go do
something worthwhile with your life. It's obvious that you don't know
the answer to my question, so shut the hell up!

Senti's Usenet Rule #1:

"If you're thin-skinned and easily offended, Usenet is not for you."

Sentient Fluid

Jukka said:
It's a GIF image containing the text "Corporate Mail" in a ridiculously
tiny font and underlined in a manner that makes it more difficult to
read. Moreover, it's (almost?) black, so is it a link or not?

You posted a tiny image. You were asked to post the URL of the page
that demonstrates what you are really trying to accomplish.

It looks virtually certain that your attempt at making the underline
somehow different from normal link underline is misguided. It's
probably just one part of the problem you've created.

The image is the OP's only way of demonstrating what s/he wants. S/he
wants to learn the CSS to change the amount of white space between the
underline and the text. Apparently so s/he can have them touching as
demonstrated in the image.

I do agree with your assessment on the problems with what the OP wants
done, though.

justin.harper

THANK YOU! That's pretty cool.

Oh, and I liked your subtle way of putting me in my place :)

Willhe

Barbara
Why is it you don't correct the spelling-mistakes I mailed to you earlier?

Willy.

Barbara de Zoete

Barbara
Why is it you don't correct the spelling-mistakes I mailed to you
earlier?

You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree with
that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard html formatted
e-mails as spam by default, except if sent by my mother.

Anyway, this is not the forum to discuss any probable spelling mistake I
made in my site. Neither is my e-mail box the proper medium to discuss any
topics that are already discussed in newsgroups on usenet.

Oli Filth

Barbara said:
You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree with
that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard html
formatted e-mails as spam by default

Why? That's rather a dramatic way to get rid of spam. That's one step
away from filtering out all e-mails with text in them...

Barbara de Zoete

Why? That's rather a dramatic way to get rid of spam. That's one step
away from filtering out all e-mails with text in them...

It's not like I have to explain my e-mail preferences to anyone, do I?

But here is...

One reason only: html formatted e-mails are waaaaay too big. I hate
receiving three simple five words sentenses with a >5kB mail. Hate hate
hate it.

So, there you have it.

Oli Filth

Barbara said:
It's not like I have to explain my e-mail preferences to anyone, do I?

No, of course not! :) Just curiousity.
But here is...

One reason only: html formatted e-mails are waaaaay too big. I hate
receiving three simple five words sentenses with a >5kB mail. Hate hate
hate it.

So, there you have it.

Interesting...

So you're prepared to miss a load of emails just cos you don't want to
receive a few bytes more than strictly necessary? Even though most
emails are sent with around a KB of header info anyway (not to mention
the TCP/IP overhead)?

(Note: I'm not trying to make you change your preferences, it doesn't
bother me ;) . Just raising a point)

Willhe

You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree with
that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard html formatted
e-mails as spam by default, except if sent by my mother.

Anyway, this is not the forum to discuss any probable spelling mistake I
made in my site. Neither is my e-mail box the proper medium to discuss any
topics that are already discussed in newsgroups on usenet.

I think you should mention on your websites that mail in html format is
deleted
without being read, instead of just giving your e-mail address.

I used this channel because sending a mail gave no result.
I didn't try to discuss a newsgroup item via your e-mail box.

I don't know if you're in fact even interested in the spelling mistakes,
but one of them is a "dt-fout" which I hate much more than html-mails.