    the life of me remember what it is. If you know how to do it, or you
    at least know a site that does it, could you please post it here?
    Thank you.

    justin.harper, Apr 9, 2005

  2. justin.harper wrote:

    > I have a question. I want to display a link, except when I display the
    > link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from the
    > word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a different
    > effect. The problem is, I know there's a way to do it, but I can't for
    > the life of me remember what it is. If you know how to do it, or you
    > at least know a site that does it, could you please post it here?
    > Thank you.

    You want something like the following in your stylesheet/s:

    a:visited {
    color: #000000;
    text-decoration:line-through;
    }

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 9, 2005

  3. "justin.harper" <> wrote:

    > when I display
    > the link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from
    > the word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a
    > different effect.

    You are almost surely trying to do the wrong thing. If you had posted a
    URL and told why you wish to mess around with the common rendering of
    links, we might discuss whether it makes some sense.

    While you are at it, you might also consider what you mean by an
    underline appearing "right up on the word". This would help in
    selecting the correct technical advice in the very rare case where the
    very idea makes sense.

    > The problem is, I know there's a way to do it,
    > but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

    And you even found it impossible to describe what you want, on the
    Subject line? "Odd CSS question" is a nonsensical subject.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 9, 2005
  4. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > "justin.harper" <> wrote:
    >
    >> when I display
    >> the link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from
    >> the word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a
    >> different effect.

    > You are almost surely trying to do the wrong thing. If you had posted a
    > URL and told why you wish to mess around with the common rendering of
    > links, we might discuss whether it makes some sense.
    >
    > While you are at it, you might also consider what you mean by an
    > underline appearing "right up on the word". This would help in
    > selecting the correct technical advice in the very rare case where the
    > very idea makes sense.
    >
    >> The problem is, I know there's a way to do it,
    >> but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

    > And you even found it impossible to describe what you want, on the
    > Subject line? "Odd CSS question" is a nonsensical subject.

    I agree on that last point. I hate it when people give a teaser rather than
    a description. It then gets bound a wrong <title> element in the archives,
    which in turn messes up search engines and makes the Internet a jumble of
    words.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Apr 9, 2005
  5. Here's an example of what I mean:
    http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg944q/Text4.gif

    justin.harper, Apr 9, 2005
  6. "justin.harper" <> wrote:

    > Here's an example of what I mean:
    > http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg944q/Text4.gif

    It's a GIF image containing the text "Corporate Mail" in a ridiculously
    tiny font and underlined in a manner that makes it more difficult to
    read. Moreover, it's (almost?) black, so is it a link or not?

    You posted a tiny image. You were asked to post the URL of the page
    that demonstrates what you are really trying to accomplish.

    It looks virtually certain that your attempt at making the underline
    somehow different from normal link underline is misguided. It's
    probably just one part of the problem you've created.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 9, 2005
  7. Jukka,

    If I knew the URL of the page that demonstrates what I was trying to
    accomplish, I would be able to look at the source code, and I wouldn't
    have a question, now would I?

    If you have nothing productive to say, why don't you shut up and go do
    something worthwhile with your life. It's obvious that you don't know
    the answer to my question, so shut the hell up!

    justin.harper, Apr 9, 2005
  8. On 9 Apr 2005 07:47:54 -0700, justin.harper <>
    wrote:

    > If you have nothing productive to say, why don't you shut up and go do
    > something worthwhile with your life. It's obvious that you don't know
    > the answer to my question, so shut the hell up!

    lol

    You might as well ask straight forward to be shunned for life. Silly
    thing, really. Expecting to find a helpdesk in a usenet newsgroup gets it
    done too, especially if that expectation find its way as a rude expression

    Bummer, you just lost.

    Barbara de Zoete, Apr 9, 2005
  9. justin.harper

    Toby Inkster Guest

    justin.harper wrote:

    > I have a question. I want to display a link, except when I display the
    > link, I don't want the underline the normal distance away from the
    > word. I want the underline right up on the word, to create a different
    > effect.

    Only tested in Opera 8b3:

    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/weird-underline

    Perhaps you'll need to adjust the "em" measurements to get it to work in
    other browsers.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Apr 9, 2005
  10. justin.harper wrote:
    > Jukka,
    >
    > If I knew the URL of the page that demonstrates what I was trying to
    > accomplish, I would be able to look at the source code, and I wouldn't
    > have a question, now would I?
    >
    > If you have nothing productive to say, why don't you shut up and go do
    > something worthwhile with your life. It's obvious that you don't know
    > the answer to my question, so shut the hell up!

    Senti's Usenet Rule #1:

    "If you're thin-skinned and easily offended, Usenet is not for you."

    Sentient Fluid, Apr 9, 2005
  11. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > "justin.harper" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Here's an example of what I mean:
    >>http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg944q/Text4.gif

    > It's a GIF image containing the text "Corporate Mail" in a ridiculously
    > tiny font and underlined in a manner that makes it more difficult to
    > read. Moreover, it's (almost?) black, so is it a link or not?
    >
    > You posted a tiny image. You were asked to post the URL of the page
    > that demonstrates what you are really trying to accomplish.
    >
    > It looks virtually certain that your attempt at making the underline
    > somehow different from normal link underline is misguided. It's
    > probably just one part of the problem you've created.

    The image is the OP's only way of demonstrating what s/he wants. S/he
    wants to learn the CSS to change the amount of white space between the
    underline and the text. Apparently so s/he can have them touching as
    demonstrated in the image.

    I do agree with your assessment on the problems with what the OP wants
    done, though.

    Sentient Fluid, Apr 9, 2005
  12. justin.harper

    Els Guest

    Els, Apr 9, 2005
  13. THANK YOU! That's pretty cool.

    Oh, and I liked your subtle way of putting me in my place :)

    justin.harper, Apr 9, 2005
  14. justin.harper

    Willhe Guest

    Willhe, Apr 9, 2005
  15. Toby- Any ideas on how to get it to work in IE 6?

    justin.harper, Apr 9, 2005
  16. [OT] Re: Odd CSS question

    On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:48:05 +0200, Willhe <> wrote:

    > Barbara
    > Why is it you don't correct the spelling-mistakes I mailed to you
    > earlier?

    You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree with
    that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard html formatted
    e-mails as spam by default, except if sent by my mother.

    Anyway, this is not the forum to discuss any probable spelling mistake I
    made in my site. Neither is my e-mail box the proper medium to discuss any
    topics that are already discussed in newsgroups on usenet.

    Barbara de Zoete, Apr 9, 2005
  17. justin.harper

    Oli Filth Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Odd CSS question

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree with
    > that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard html
    > formatted e-mails as spam by default

    Why? That's rather a dramatic way to get rid of spam. That's one step
    away from filtering out all e-mails with text in them...

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Apr 9, 2005
  18. Re: [OT] Re: Odd CSS question

    On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:01:58 GMT, Oli Filth <> wrote:

    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >> You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree with
    >> that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard html
    >> formatted e-mails as spam by default

    > Why? That's rather a dramatic way to get rid of spam. That's one step
    > away from filtering out all e-mails with text in them...

    It's not like I have to explain my e-mail preferences to anyone, do I?

    But here is...

    One reason only: html formatted e-mails are waaaaay too big. I hate
    receiving three simple five words sentenses with a >5kB mail. Hate hate
    hate it.

    So, there you have it.

    Barbara de Zoete, Apr 9, 2005
  19. justin.harper

    Oli Filth Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Odd CSS question

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:01:58 GMT, Oli Filth <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>
    >>> You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree
    >>> with that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard
    >>> html formatted e-mails as spam by default

    >> Why? That's rather a dramatic way to get rid of spam. That's one step
    >> away from filtering out all e-mails with text in them...
    >>

    > It's not like I have to explain my e-mail preferences to anyone, do I?

    No, of course not! :) Just curiousity.

    > But here is...
    >
    > One reason only: html formatted e-mails are waaaaay too big. I hate
    > receiving three simple five words sentenses with a >5kB mail. Hate hate
    > hate it.
    >
    > So, there you have it.

    Interesting...

    So you're prepared to miss a load of emails just cos you don't want to
    receive a few bytes more than strictly necessary? Even though most
    emails are sent with around a KB of header info anyway (not to mention
    the TCP/IP overhead)?

    (Note: I'm not trying to make you change your preferences, it doesn't
    bother me ;) . Just raising a point)

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Apr 9, 2005
  20. justin.harper

    Willhe Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Odd CSS question

    > You probably sent me an e-mail in html format, and I don't agree with
    > that, so I filter them out even before receiving. I regard html formatted
    > e-mails as spam by default, except if sent by my mother.
    >
    > Anyway, this is not the forum to discuss any probable spelling mistake I
    > made in my site. Neither is my e-mail box the proper medium to discuss any
    > topics that are already discussed in newsgroups on usenet.

    I think you should mention on your websites that mail in html format is
    deleted
    without being read, instead of just giving your e-mail address.

    I used this channel because sending a mail gave no result.
    I didn't try to discuss a newsgroup item via your e-mail box.

    I don't know if you're in fact even interested in the spelling mistakes,
    but one of them is a "dt-fout" which I hate much more than html-mails.

    Willhe, Apr 9, 2005