Odd CSS related text "reflow" issue?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rob O, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Rob O

    Rob O Guest

    Hi Folks

    We are having an odd little effect happening with a non-tabled site
    that uses fairly basic CSS.

    It is only happening in IE it seems and it really is just a pixel
    shift in a column of text, but the client has noticed it and wants it
    fixed.

    I wondered if any resident gurus may throw any light?

    An example page can be seen here:

    <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com/services/MERITservices.asp>

    a screengrab from IE6 highlighting the problem can be seen here

    <http://www.c-eye.co.uk/misc/ljftextproblem.jpg>

    It seems to be related to when there is a right hand panel floated
    right.

    I know it's minor but as I say, the client wants it fixed and it would
    be a shame to rebuild the site using tables :-(

    TIA!

    R
    Rob O, Jul 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rob O

    Rob O Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:47:14 GMT, Rob O
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Folks
    >
    >We are having an odd little effect happening with a non-tabled site
    >that uses fairly basic CSS.
    >
    >It is only happening in IE it seems and it really is just a pixel
    >shift in a column of text, but the client has noticed it and wants it
    >fixed.
    >
    >I wondered if any resident gurus may throw any light?
    >
    >An example page can be seen here:
    >
    ><http://www.littlejohnfraser.com/services/MERITservices.asp>
    >
    >a screengrab from IE6 highlighting the problem can be seen here
    >
    ><http://www.c-eye.co.uk/misc/ljftextproblem.jpg>
    >
    >It seems to be related to when there is a right hand panel floated
    >right.
    >
    >I know it's minor but as I say, the client wants it fixed and it would
    >be a shame to rebuild the site using tables :-(
    >
    >TIA!
    >
    >R


    Follow up - it happens in Firefox too!!

    R
    Rob O, Jul 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rob O

    Rob O Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:02:31 GMT, Rob O
    <> wrote:


    >>R

    >
    >Follow up - it happens in Firefox too!!
    >
    >R
    >


    Arrgh - not it doesn't it's only IE - doh!

    R
    Rob O, Jul 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Rob O

    Spartanicus Guest

    Rob O <> wrote:

    ><http://www.littlejohnfraser.com/services/MERITservices.asp>


    When you want to specify one colour, specify them all (you didn't
    specify a page background colour).

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Jul 26, 2005
    #4
  5. Rob O

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Rob O* wrote:

    > Hi Folks
    >
    > We are having an odd little effect happening with a non-tabled site
    > that uses fairly basic CSS.
    >
    > It is only happening in IE it seems and it really is just a pixel
    > shift in a column of text, but the client has noticed it and wants it
    > fixed.
    >
    > I wondered if any resident gurus may throw any light?
    >
    > An example page can be seen here:
    >
    > <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com/services/MERITservices.asp>
    >
    > a screengrab from IE6 highlighting the problem can be seen here
    >
    > <http://www.c-eye.co.uk/misc/ljftextproblem.jpg>
    >
    > It seems to be related to when there is a right hand panel floated
    > right.
    >
    > I know it's minor but as I say, the client wants it fixed and it would
    > be a shame to rebuild the site using tables :-(
    >
    > TIA!
    >


    Try to make navcol id just a couple of pixels more narrow. This id's
    bottom line is on the same level as the line "All these services ..."
    is, so every line abowe will move to the left when you change the
    width of the navcol id.

    --
    /Arne

    Top posters will be ignored. Quote the part you
    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.
    Arne, Jul 26, 2005
    #5
  6. Rob O wrote:

    > Hi Folks
    >
    > We are having an odd little effect happening with a non-tabled site
    > that uses fairly basic CSS.
    >
    > It is only happening in IE it seems and it really is just a pixel
    > shift in a column of text, but the client has noticed it and wants it
    > fixed.
    >
    > I wondered if any resident gurus may throw any light?
    >
    > An example page can be seen here:
    >
    > <http://www.littlejohnfraser.com/services/MERITservices.asp>

    [...]
    #all is specified as having a fixed width and there are then varying amounts
    of margin/padding added to elements on the page. IE calculates the box
    model somewhat differently so maybe you're seeing an effect of this? There
    is a css hack regarding width and IE. I'm not saying it is this but it was
    something that occured to me looking at the code. I could be miles off.

    --
    Robert
    http://brightonfixedodds.net
    Robert Frost-Bridges, Jul 26, 2005
    #6
  7. Rob O

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <>, Rob O
    <> writes
    >On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:47:14 GMT, Rob O
    ><> wrote:


    >>We are having an odd little effect happening with a non-tabled site
    >>that uses fairly basic CSS.


    >>It is only happening in IE it seems and it really is just a pixel
    >>shift in a column of text, but the client has noticed it and wants it
    >>fixed.


    >Follow up - it happens in Firefox too!!


    Is it? I thought this was only an Internet Explorer 6 'feature.'

    Anyway, it's a well-known problem. I found this page helpful:

    http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/threepxtest.html

    Unfortunately it involves some css hacking, but they pass through the
    CSS valuator at http://www.w3.org/

    Does anyone have alternative solutions?
    --
    Martin Jay
    Martin Jay, Jul 26, 2005
    #7
  8. Rob O

    Wÿrm Guest

    "Rob O" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...

    <snip>

    > a screengrab from IE6 highlighting the problem can be seen here
    >
    > <http://www.c-eye.co.uk/misc/ljftextproblem.jpg>


    Looks like typical 3 pixel JOG bug. Googling for 3 pixel jog should give
    you solution how to fix this. Been while I had to deal this issue so can't
    be 100% sure I recall correctly, but I think you have to set some height,
    most likely MAINTEXT class to height: 1px; or something like that.

    Anyway, Google should give you more answers what fix is and if that cause
    problems elsewhere...
    Wÿrm, Jul 27, 2005
    #8
  9. Rob O

    Rob O Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:40:47 +0300, "Wÿrm"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"Rob O" <> kirjoitti
    >viestissä:...
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> a screengrab from IE6 highlighting the problem can be seen here
    >>
    >> <http://www.c-eye.co.uk/misc/ljftextproblem.jpg>

    >
    >Looks like typical 3 pixel JOG bug. Googling for 3 pixel jog should give
    >you solution how to fix this. Been while I had to deal this issue so can't
    >be 100% sure I recall correctly, but I think you have to set some height,
    >most likely MAINTEXT class to height: 1px; or something like that.
    >
    >Anyway, Google should give you more answers what fix is and if that cause
    >problems elsewhere...
    >


    Yep thanks guys, you're on the money - it is the 3 pixel Jog.

    There is a dodgy CSS hack that we have now tried on dev machine and it
    has cured the problem - many thanks for the quick responses!

    R
    Rob O, Jul 27, 2005
    #9
  10. Rob O

    Rob O Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:29:45 GMT, Spartanicus
    <> wrote:

    >Rob O <> wrote:
    >
    >><http://www.littlejohnfraser.com/services/MERITservices.asp>

    >
    >When you want to specify one colour, specify them all (you didn't
    >specify a page background colour).



    Oppsie, thanks for the headsup

    R
    Rob O, Jul 27, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Roedy Green

    inhibiting comment reflow

    Roedy Green, Jul 27, 2005, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    954
    Roedy Green
    Jul 29, 2005
  2. Michael Speer

    Odd behavior with odd code

    Michael Speer, Feb 16, 2007, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    33
    Views:
    1,090
    Richard Heathfield
    Feb 18, 2007
  3. Replies:
    12
    Views:
    541
    CBFalconer
    Oct 23, 2007
  4. Fredrik Lundh

    Re: Odd math related issue.

    Fredrik Lundh, Jul 21, 2008, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    236
    Fredrik Lundh
    Jul 21, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    reflow

    Roedy Green, Apr 15, 2009, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    439
    Arved Sandstrom
    Apr 16, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page