Odd CSV behavior

Binh Ly

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me troubleshoot a strange problem
that I'm experiencing with CSV files.

I download a file, in CSV format, from a website and when I try to parse
with CSV and Faster CSV I get the following error.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:639:in `get_row': CSV::IllegalFormatError
(CSV::IllegalFormatError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:556:in `each'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:531:in `parse'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:311:in `open_reader'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:85:in `open'

But if I open the CSV file in TextMate, select all of the contents,
paste and save that content into a new CSV file, created with TextMate,
the CSV parser can process it just fine.

Anyone have any idea about what might be causing this?

Thanks,

binh

kranthi reddy

I think the csv file you have must be corrupted .
Check out with the file.
Kranthi.

Ryan Davis

But if I open the CSV file in TextMate, select all of the contents,
paste and save that content into a new CSV file, created with
TextMate,
the CSV parser can process it just fine.

My guess is end of line format for the next file. Maybe you're reading
the whole file in as a single line and the EOL char is confusing CSV.
TextMate could be reformatting it when you save it out.