odd image puzzler

Richard

www.1-large-world.com/images/xtest.jpg

Compare the image on the left to the one on the right.
I can't for the life of me figure out why that little _ character shows up
just after the image.
Other than the possibility of the </a> tag being on a seperate line.
If I put the </a> tag on the same line, the character goes away, but then
the text appears immediately after the image, so I have to put in a <br>.
This happens in both IE and mozilla.

Just curious to know why this is.

This never happened before tonight.
The only other thing I did tonight was install one program.
Could this have screwed up a shared file perhaps?

PeterMcC

Richard said:
www.1-large-world.com/images/xtest.jpg

Compare the image on the left to the one on the right.
I can't for the life of me figure out why that little _ character
shows up just after the image.
Other than the possibility of the </a> tag being on a seperate line.
If I put the </a> tag on the same line, the character goes away, but
then the text appears immediately after the image, so I have to put
in a <br>. This happens in both IE and mozilla.

Just curious to know why this is.

This never happened before tonight.
The only other thing I did tonight was install one program.
Could this have screwed up a shared file perhaps?

URL of real page?

Bob Long

In
Richard said:

A real URL would be more helpful.
Compare the image on the left to the one on the right.
I can't for the life of me figure out why that little _ character
shows up just after the image.
Other than the possibility of the </a> tag being on a seperate line.
If I put the </a> tag on the same line, the character goes away,

That is most likely it. The new line is being treated as white space. And as
it is within the anchor, it will thus be underlined as part of the link.
but
then the text appears immediately after the image, so I have to put
in a <br>. This happens in both IE and mozilla.

Just curious to know why this is.

If you are putting </a> on a new line to "force' text to a new line, then
you have the wrong approach.

Bob Long

Toby A Inkster

Richard said:
Other than the possibility of the </a> tag being on a seperate line.

That is why.

The new line causes white space to appear. (You would hate it if it didn't
-- trust me!) As that white spcae is before the "</a>", it is part of the
link, and thus underlined.

Trevor George

Richard wrote in message ...
www.1-large-world.com/images/xtest.jpg
I can't for the life of me figure out why that little _ character shows up
just after the image.

It's part of the hyperlink which your image has to enlarge to a new
photograph.

Check yout HTML. You'll probably find a space before the closing </a> of
your link from the thumbnail image. Make sure the <br> for the caption
comes right after the </a>.

You know it's part of the link because if you click on the underscore
you'll get your enlarged image.

Steve.

Steve R.

Richard wrote in message ...
www.1-large-world.com/images/xtest.jpg
I can't for the life of me figure out why that little _ character shows
up just after the image.

It's part of the hyperlink which your image has to enlarge to a new
photograph.

Check yout HTML. You'll probably find a space before the closing </a> of
your link from the thumbnail image. Make sure the <br> for the caption
comes right after the </a>.

You know it's part of the link because if you click on the underscore
you'll get your enlarged image.

Steve.

Michael Fesser

Richard said:
www.1-large-world.com/images/xtest.jpg

Compare the image on the left to the one on the right.
I can't for the life of me figure out why that little _ character shows up
just after the image.
Other than the possibility of the </a> tag being on a seperate line.

Every text - this includes white space - inside an a-element is
underlined by default. What you see is an underlined line break.
If I put the </a> tag on the same line, the character goes away, but then
the text appears immediately after the image, so I have to put in a <br>.
This happens in both IE and mozilla.

Put a blank between the link and the text:

Just curious to know why this is.

This never happened before tonight.

Might be the moon, it's nearly full.

Micha

John McGaw

Richard said:
www.1-large-world.com/images/xtest.jpg

Compare the image on the left to the one on the right.
I can't for the life of me figure out why that little _ character shows up
just after the image.
Other than the possibility of the </a> tag being on a seperate line.
If I put the </a> tag on the same line, the character goes away, but then
the text appears immediately after the image, so I have to put in a <br>.
This happens in both IE and mozilla.

Just curious to know why this is.

This never happened before tonight.
The only other thing I did tonight was install one program.
Could this have screwed up a shared file perhaps?
Every time I've seen it happen on my pages it has been a matter of a space
or line break showing up between a linked image and the following content.
This happens semi-randomly since I usually format my source with Tidy after
every minor change.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Sid Ismail

: Just curious to know why this is.
:
: This never happened before tonight.

Didn't you hear? Aliens have arrived yesterday...

Sid