Odd problem with a oneway webservice

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Keith McDonald, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. We need to invoke a webservice method that will call an sp that may run
    up to 1 hour so we want to start the sp then let the client continue
    working. I have read about the OneWay:=true but calling the webservice
    it seems to still wait until the service is finished before returning
    to the client. Any ideas? - Code below..

    In the webservice we define this method:

    <SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay:=True), _
    WebMethod(EnableSession:=True, Description:="STX processing of
    imported invoices.")> _
    Public Sub StartProcessingInvoices()

    --code to run the sp which works as needed

    End Sub

    In the codebehind aspx page:

    'Final call to webservice to start processing inported data
    Dim wsInvoices As New STXProcessInvoices
    Dim resultMessage As String

    wsInvoices.StartProcessingInvoices()

    ...continue processing and displaying the aspx results page
    to the client
    Keith McDonald, Jan 25, 2006

  2. This looks to be solved. We had the webservice in the same project as
    the aspx page. Not sure what the difference is but putting it in as a
    web reference and calling it that way fixed the problem.
    Keith McDonald, Jan 26, 2006

  3. Keith McDonald

    m.posseth Guest

    I guess the difference is the threading mechanism used , in your code you
    could have acomplished the same if you used a background worker

    regards

    Michel Posseth [MCP]

    m.posseth, Jan 29, 2006