    I copied some new asp.net application files to the server
    at 'about' the same time. This has worked without incident before.

    Thanks!

    MarkMurphy, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Hi Mark,

    From your description, you got the following error message
    ==================
    "aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched because the username and/or
    password supplied in the processModel section of the config file are
    invalid."
    ==================

    on one of yoru application server wihch has .net installed, yes?

    As you mentioned that the problem is resolved after unlock the aspnet
    account. So there must be something which cause the ASPNET local account be
    locked. In ASP.NET the default process account is MACHINE\ASPNET (on w2k3
    server is NetworkService accoutn). So if the machine\aspnet account is
    locked, all the asp.net application( web application or webservcire or
    other service require the asp.net runtime ) will fail to be launched. And
    this process account can be set in the .net framework's machine.config
    which is under the .net framework's installed folder, for example:
    {driver}:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG

    find the machine.config file, and the account is set in the <processModel>
    element. The default value is
    userName="MACHINE" password="AutoGenerate"
    We can change the userName as "SYSTEM" so as to let the process running
    under the system account.

    In addition , we can also create custom account to run the asp.net process.
    here is the related reference in MSDN:

    #How To Create a Custom Account to Run ASP.NET
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html
    /secmod15.asp

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 18, 2004

  3. Hi Mark,

    Have you had a chance to check out the things in my last reply or have you
    got any further ideas on this issue? If you need any further assistance,
    please feel free to post here. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 20, 2004
  4. MarkMurphy

    MarkMurphy Guest

    Actually we remedied the problem by reenabling the aspnet account.
    What we can't figure out is what disabled it and why. Any ideas?

    Thanks for getting back!

    Mark

    MarkMurphy, Aug 20, 2004
  5. Hi Mark,

    Thanks for the followup. Since you found that the aspnet local account is
    auto disabled , I think it maybe a lit difficult to monitor it. Is there
    anything helpful in the machine's eventlog ? I think you can do more tests
    to repro the behavior so as to do some further troubleshooting.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 21, 2004