Odd URL

Discussion in 'HTML' started by frederick, Apr 20, 2006.

  1. frederick

    frederick Guest

    frederick, Apr 20, 2006

  2. On 20/04/2006 14:30, frederick wrote:

    [snip]

    > http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?manuscripts-d-f.shtml~main
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me as to use of the "~main" at the end?

    Notice that it's part of the query string? It can mean whatever
    /interest/i.htm wants it to mean.

    In this case, the frameset page (/interest/i.htm) uses some rather
    badly-written client-side code to load its content frame from the query
    string. The tilde (~) acts as a separator between the document URL and
    the name of the frame to load.

    This can be done, and should have been, server-side (though omitting
    frames altogether would be the best option).

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Apr 20, 2006

  3. Jonathan N. Little, Apr 20, 2006
  4. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Michael Winter wrote:
    > On 20/04/2006 14:30, frederick wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?manuscripts-d-f.shtml~main
    > >
    > > Can anyone enlighten me as to use of the "~main" at the end?

    > Notice that it's part of the query string? It can mean whatever
    > /interest/i.htm wants it to mean.
    >
    > In this case, the frameset page (/interest/i.htm) uses some rather
    > badly-written client-side code to load its content frame from the query
    > string. The tilde (~) acts as a separator between the document URL and
    > the name of the frame to load.

    I should've figured that it was for the frame... {sigh}

    I'd never come across a tilde as part of a query string before, and was
    wondering if it was indicative of a particular technology being used
    somewhere on the server side, such as language X or vendor's script Y.

    > This can be done, and should have been, server-side (though omitting
    > frames altogether would be the best option).

    Particularly when they're badly implemented: I can't see the bottom
    part of the left-hand menu! When will these people ever learn...

    Anyway, thanks!

    --
    AGw.
    frederick, Apr 20, 2006
  5. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    > > I've just come across a link to this odd-looking URL:
    > > http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?manuscripts-d-f.shtml~main
    > >
    > > Can anyone enlighten me as to use of the "~main" at the end?

    > A token to compensate for the limitation of frames and bookmarkable URLs

    Now that explains it still further. Must be having an off day for not
    realising that...!

    I suppose that it indicates that someone's trying to use their brains
    for that site; a bit of a shame that they solved the wrong problem!

    --
    AGw.
    frederick, Apr 20, 2006
  6. frederick

    Jim Higson Guest

    frederick wrote:

    > I've just come across a link to this odd-looking URL:
    > http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?manuscripts-d-f.shtml~main
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me as to use of the "~main" at the end?

    In general (but not in this case) ~foo is UNIX-speak for a user's home
    directory. A home directory is like "My Documents" on Windows. For example
    on my machine, ~jim is shorthand for the path /home/jim

    You sometimes see addresses like http://example.com/~harry to mean harry's
    webspace on example.com's servers. Academia seems to be quite keen on this
    URL scheme.

    Anyway, web servers can interpret the part of the URL between the domain and
    the first '?' symbol any way they want. For the URL you posted it seems
    they just use '~' because the author couldn't think of anything better.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Apr 20, 2006
  7. frederick

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > I've just come across a link to this odd-looking URL:
    > http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?manuscripts-d-f.shtml~main
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me as to use of the "~main" at the end?

    It appears that you have received the correct answer. Actually there
    are many odd-looking URLs, and many of these are associated with media.
    If you go to the new Google video service and examine how they link to
    various free video files, their special Google player, etc, you will
    find many unusual URLs used as well as a special extension for the
    Google player. Also there are some very long ones that run over 2 or 3
    lines. Also when you call a streaming media file on a streaming Real or
    Windows Media server you often use a URL structure not used elsewhere.
    As one example, when you are using a recent Real Player to display a
    SMIL page, you code for a progressive download video, image, music, etc
    may start with either the usual http://... or chttp//... . Using the
    "c" at the start of the url tells the Real player to cache what you
    called in a special Real player cache so that it does not have to be
    reloaded at a second pass.
    cwdjrxyz, Apr 21, 2006
  8. cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> I've just come across a link to this odd-looking URL:
    >> http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?manuscripts-d-f.shtml~main
    >>
    >> Can anyone enlighten me as to use of the "~main" at the end?

    > It appears that you have received the correct answer. Actually there
    > are many odd-looking URLs, and many of these are associated with media.
    > If you go to the new Google video service and examine how they link to
    > various free video files, their special Google player, etc, you will
    > find many unusual URLs used as well as a special extension for the
    > Google player. Also there are some very long ones that run over 2 or 3
    > lines. Also when you call a streaming media file on a streaming Real or
    > Windows Media server you often use a URL structure not used elsewhere.
    > As one example, when you are using a recent Real Player to display a
    > SMIL page, you code for a progressive download video, image, music, etc
    > may start with either the usual http://... or chttp//... . Using the
    > "c" at the start of the url tells the Real player to cache what you
    > called in a special Real player cache so that it does not have to be
    > reloaded at a second pass.

    Yes, but what you are describing is the protocol part of the url and has
    nothing to do with the OP. The OP's situation is pseudo query string
    that with JavaScript is used to select a frame to be displayed in a
    attempt of overcome the shortcomings of frame whereby only the outermost
    containing frame is 'visiable' in the URL. Best solution would be to
    abandon the frames or at least employ a real query string and use
    server-side scripting to select the internal frame.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 21, 2006
  9. frederick

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Jim Higson <> wrote:

    > frederick wrote:
    >
    > > I've just come across a link to this odd-looking URL:
    > > http://www.prbm.com/interest/i.htm?manuscripts-d-f.shtml~main
    > >
    > > Can anyone enlighten me as to use of the "~main" at the end?

    > In general (but not in this case) ~foo is UNIX-speak for a user's home
    > directory. A home directory is like "My Documents" on Windows. For example
    > on my machine, ~jim is shorthand for the path /home/jim
    >
    > You sometimes see addresses like http://example.com/~harry to mean harry's
    > webspace on example.com's servers. Academia seems to be quite keen on this
    > URL scheme.

    Yes, on the Optus servers, e.g., one puts a /~username at the end
    of http://username.optusnet.com.au to get to a username's home or
    index page.

    --
    dorayme