ODE, GUI, plotter in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ala, Jun 16, 2009.

  1. Ala

    Ala Guest

    Hello everyone.

    I am starting on implementing a simulator using python, and since it's
    the first time I code in python would appreciate a few pointers:

    The simulator will use a coupled ODE for the most part of the
    simulation, I plan to use scipy. (Anything considered faster/better
    than scipy for solving coupled ODEs? )

    I plan for a GUI program with network graph plotting. I am leaning
    towards using Qt for the GUI (internet forums seem to recommend it,
    anyone got other preferences? )

    Since the GUI application will contain few buttons and a plot, I am
    planning to implement matplotlib into the GUI. But does anyone know if
    matplotlib allows for interaction with the graph plot? (say for a
    network simulation, allowing to right click on nodes and disable them
    for instance, or alter some other properties of nodes and/or links
    across them).

    I am just starting out, hence I'd rather get some advice and experiment
    a bit for my self as I go along.

    Thank you.
    Ala, Jun 16, 2009

  2. > you should take a look at
    > http://pyode.sourceforge.net/

    I think he's talking about "ordinary differential equations". While these
    are part of physics-simulations (and the ODE-libraries' name might be a
    PUN), PyODE is not what the OP is after.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Jun 16, 2009

  3. Ala

    Eduardo Lenz Guest

    Em Ter 16 Jun 2009, às 09:00:02, Ala escreveu:
    > Hello everyone.
    >
    > I am starting on implementing a simulator using python, and since it's
    > the first time I code in python would appreciate a few pointers:
    >
    > The simulator will use a coupled ODE for the most part of the
    > simulation, I plan to use scipy. (Anything considered faster/better
    > than scipy for solving coupled ODEs? )
    >
    > I plan for a GUI program with network graph plotting. I am leaning
    > towards using Qt for the GUI (internet forums seem to recommend it,
    > anyone got other preferences? )
    >
    > Since the GUI application will contain few buttons and a plot, I am
    > planning to implement matplotlib into the GUI. But does anyone know if
    > matplotlib allows for interaction with the graph plot? (say for a
    > network simulation, allowing to right click on nodes and disable them
    > for instance, or alter some other properties of nodes and/or links
    > across them).
    >
    > I am just starting out, hence I'd rather get some advice and experiment
    > a bit for my self as I go along.
    >
    > Thank you.

    you should take a look at
    http://pyode.sourceforge.net/

    and pygame.

    []'s
    Eduardo.
    --

    Eduardo Lenz Cardoso
    Dr. Eng.

    State University of Santa Catarina
    Department of Mechanical Engineering
    89223-100 - Joinville-SC - Brasil

    Tel: +55 47 4009-7971 - Fax: +55 47 4009-7940
    E-mail:

    Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
    acredita-se estar livre de perigo.
    Eduardo Lenz, Jun 16, 2009
  4. Ala

    Rob Clewley Guest

    There was just an announcement on this list and the scipy list for
    PyLab_Works, which sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I
    would not recommend starting over with a new simulator at this point.
    -Rob

    Rob Clewley, Jun 17, 2009