    thedarkman Guest

    Actually,he is not quite so clever; he has lost quite a few. I'm
    restoring them now from my backup.
    thedarkman, Oct 28, 2011

  2. thedarkman

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:48:06 -0700 (PDT), thedarkman
    <> wrote in alt.html:

    > Actually,he is not quite so clever; he has lost quite a few. I'm
    > restoring them now from my backup.

    There once was a eunuch Baron
    A man quite afraid of the dark,
    Hyper text markup language
    representing his package
    Proved that he was, forever barren.

    --
    idle
    Why do they call it an asteroid when it's outside the hemisphere, but
    idle, Oct 28, 2011

  3. thedarkman

    picayunish Guest

    On 28-10-2011 21:48, thedarkman wrote:
    > Actually,he is not quite so clever; he has lost quite a few. I'm
    > restoring them now from my backup.

    Well...
    The days gone by. The days changed into years.
    Many things are changed.
    Some things are being added and some things are being removed.

    This exercise was intended how to locate the problems and learn how to
    code / program the page manually. It wasn't intended to change the
    function of the page, but the layout of the orginal page by using the
    proper codes / markups.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Oct 29, 2011
  4. On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:48:06 -0700, thedarkman wrote:

    > Actually,he is not quite so clever; he has lost quite a few. I'm
    > restoring them now from my backup.

    Yes, and I notice that when you put the "<a name="...."> links back in
    you're fucking the page up again because you're breaking the html all
    over again.

    ANCHOR ELEMENTS MUST BE CLOSED!!

    When you put in an <a name="....."> element you MUST close it with a </a>
    *before* the next <a .......>.

    If you don't do this, you will at some point have the same problems all
    over again that were caused by your unclosed elements.

    In addition, you need to decide whether to use:

    a)

    <h2><a name="......"></a>Limerick Title</h2>

    or

    b)

    <a name="......"></a>
    <h2>Limerick Title</h2>

    or even

    c)

    <a name="......">
    <h2>Limerick Title</h2>
    </a>

    But I do suggest you settle on a consistent format and keep it
    throughout. Putting the name anchor inside the h2 element (option a) is
    better practice, as it keeps the inline elements inside the block
    elements.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    p.s. You have been told about this issue (unclosed anchor elements)
    already in this thread, and several times previously. Why are you still
    writing this broken html? Are you incapable of reading? Or just incapable
    of comprehending?
    Denis McMahon, Oct 29, 2011
  5. Denis McMahon wrote:
    > c)
    >
    > <a name="......">
    > <h2>Limerick Title</h2>
    > </a>

    Actually (c) is not a valid option. A elements are INLINE and cannot
    contain H# elements which are BLOCK. Your (c) Option should be what I
    suggested. Use an ID for the anchor.

    <h2 id="anchor_name">Limerick Title</h2>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 29, 2011
  6. On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:10:48 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Denis McMahon wrote:
    >> c)
    >>
    >> <a name="......">
    >> <h2>Limerick Title</h2>
    >> </a>

    > Actually (c) is not a valid option. A elements are INLINE and cannot
    > contain H# elements which are BLOCK. Your (c) Option should be what I
    > suggested. Use an ID for the anchor.
    >
    > <h2 id="anchor_name">Limerick Title</h2>

    Yeah, see my later comment, only option a is valid, because option b
    doesn't enclose the in-line <a> in a block either.

    Do IDs work with links of the form host/path/page#anchor ?

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Oct 29, 2011
  7. thedarkman

    picayunish Guest

    On 29-10-2011 15:12, Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 08:10:48 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Denis McMahon wrote:
    >>> c)
    >>>
    >>> <a name="......">
    >>> <h2>Limerick Title</h2>
    >>> </a>

    >> Actually (c) is not a valid option. A elements are INLINE and cannot
    >> contain H# elements which are BLOCK. Your (c) Option should be what I
    >> suggested. Use an ID for the anchor.
    >>
    >> <h2 id="anchor_name">Limerick Title</h2>

    > Yeah, see my later comment, only option a is valid, because option b
    > doesn't enclose the in-line<a> in a block either.
    >
    > Do IDs work with links of the form host/path/page#anchor ?

    Yes.
    In the menu or context use an anchor e.g. <a
    href="host/path/page#anchor">words</a>.
    somewhere in context <h2 id="anchor">words</h2>

    e.g. see at http://www.evandervaart.nl/page1.php
    in menu "Over mij" -> "Werkervaring" is forward to the context <h2
    id="ervaring">Werk ervaring</h2>
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Oct 29, 2011
  8. Denis McMahon wrote:

    > Do IDs work with links of the form host/path/page#anchor ?

    Yes see:

    <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#anchors-with-id>

    --
    Take care,