Ode to Keith

Wade Ward

Ode to Keith

Push, pop, and pope.

Bloop. It isn't so much that I don't know what a bloop is, but more the
case that the C Programming Language doesn't have it in the
Stichwortverzeichnis. What's that mean, troll.

Gloop. Thunderfist is in San Diego. Where art thou, brother. Where's the
supercomputer, troll.

Floop. Hofstadter's for loop. Brilliantly presented.

Dan, dane, Dan-ite. Do you have something against Mormons, because I know
with 100% clarity that people who might turn into stone while others fill
themselves with large, jelly-filled donauts mean mitch caboolean. Tja.

Richard Bos

Wade Ward said:
Ode to Keith

Push, pop, and pope.

Bloop. It isn't so much that I don't know what a bloop is, but more the
case that the C Programming Language doesn't have it in the
Stichwortverzeichnis. What's that mean, troll.

Gloop. Thunderfist is in San Diego. Where art thou, brother. Where's the
supercomputer, troll.

Floop. Hofstadter's for loop. Brilliantly presented.

Dan, dane, Dan-ite. Do you have something against Mormons, because I know
with 100% clarity that people who might turn into stone while others fill
themselves with large, jelly-filled donauts mean mitch caboolean. Tja.

Utter, utter failure. You are not a good enough poet to be admitted to
social society, and you are not even bad enough to be a Vogon. I advise
slitting your wrists with the tip of your quill.

Richard

Chris Thomasson

Richard Bos said:
Utter, utter failure. You are not a good enough poet to be admitted to
social society, and you are not even bad enough to be a Vogon.
LOL!

I advise slitting your wrists with the tip of your quill.

Well, that could end up hurting him: We don't want anything like that.
Perhaps next time he gets one of his brilliant idea's, something will
suddenly jump up and slap him clear across the face... A quick sting is
better than cutting veins!

ouch!

Chris Thomasson

Wade Ward said:
Ode to Keith
Push, pop, and pope.
Bloop. It isn't so much that I don't know what a bloop is, but more the
case that the C Programming Language doesn't have it in the
Stichwortverzeichnis. What's that mean, troll.

Where's the supercomputer, troll.

[...]

http://www.sdsc.edu/

Christopher Benson-Manica

[comp.lang.c] Keith Thompson said:

Keith, a keen guru
cleaving through pointless drivel
with wonderful aplomb.

(Fortunately I don't get paid for my poetry either.)

C. Benson Manica

Keith, a keen guru
cleaving through pointless drivel
with wonderful aplomb.

(Apologies if this eventually appears twice; my regular news server is
having one of its bad days.)

Army1987

Ode to Keith

Push, pop, and pope.

Bloop. It isn't so much that I don't know what a bloop is, but more the
case that the C Programming Language doesn't have it in the
Stichwortverzeichnis.

It has, whatever a Stichwortverzeichnis is.

For example,
int i;
for (i=0; i<8; i++) putchar(i["*plonk*\n"]);
is one.
What's that mean, troll.
As we say in Italy, "è il bue che dice cornuto all'asino".
(Literally "it is the ox who calls the donkey horny").

Richard Heathfield

C. Benson Manica said:
Keith, a keen guru
cleaving through pointless drivel
with wonderful aplomb.

Thompson reflects on
Meaningful language questions,
Not the mayfly troll.

Keith Thompson

Richard Heathfield said:
C. Benson Manica said:

Thompson reflects on
Meaningful language questions,
Not the mayfly troll.

Trolls and poets both
Gobble up late summer days.
Let's move on. (But thanks.)

Army1987

Ode to Keith

Push, pop, and pope.

Bloop. It isn't so much that I don't know what a bloop is, but more the
case that the C Programming Language doesn't have it in the
Stichwortverzeichnis.

It has, whatever a Stichwortverzeichnis is.

For example,
int i;
for (i=0; i<8; i++) putchar(i["*plonk*\n"]);
is one.
Of course, one could argue that for is defined as "do that until
expression2 is false", and this definition doesn't care whether it
is trivial to prove that it will become false at the eighth
iterations. But then, I don't know of any programming language
which has true BlooP-like bounded loops (nor I can see what the
usefulness of that would be). It's been a long time since I last
programmed on a Commodore 64, but I don't remember about
FOR I = 1 TO 0 doing anything different from an endless loop.
And if I understand correctly, one could pass an object of a class
with a custom iterator to Python's for, so in principle it is not
required to halt.