Off loading the providers

MikeS

Anyone have a good idea how to make the membership, role and profile
providers be remote and be accessed only using http/soap so that I
don't have to have LDAP, msldap and SQL traffic from my web server to
the middle tier/back end?

I looked at using a web service or enterprise services but in either
case I have to inherit from Webservice or ServicedComponent which to me
means it can not then be typed as a MembershipProvider or one of the
other providers.

Dominick Baier

You have to write a Web Service or Service Component and a membership/role
provider that communicates with them. Thats quite some work. Classes like
MembershipUser have to be restructured to be marshalable via XmlSerializer
e.g.

MikeS

OK Dominick, thanks.

The network folks don't like the other traffic and/or a lot of mixed
traffic but I don't want to have to write a whole lot of specialized
(yet trivial) code to make this happen. Between a rock and a hard
place.

MikeS

I am thinking that it would have been better for the architecture of
the provider pattern to be implemented with interfaces instead of
abstract classes in order to have better capability for location
transparency. Maybe I am missing something about the remoting mechanism
or maybe that is where the problem is and perhaps WCF solves this, but
for now I am disappointed since I think this would have been easy to
off load with COM, where an interface is an interface is an interface
wherever the 80X86 bits may lie. Kind of a drag that I have to be
someone's descendent to be able to telecommute as opposed to having
to work in person.
Is probably a better topic for the remoting group now.