    case I have to inherit from Webservice or ServicedComponent which to me
    means it can not then be typed as a MembershipProvider or one of the
    other providers.
    MikeS, Aug 22, 2006

  2. You have to write a Web Service or Service Component and a membership/role
    provider that communicates with them. Thats quite some work. Classes like
    MembershipUser have to be restructured to be marshalable via XmlSerializer
    e.g.

    ---
    Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier, Aug 22, 2006

  3. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    OK Dominick, thanks.

    The network folks don't like the other traffic and/or a lot of mixed
    traffic but I don't want to have to write a whole lot of specialized
    (yet trivial) code to make this happen. Between a rock and a hard
    place.

    MikeS, Aug 22, 2006
  4. MikeS

    MikeS Guest

    I am thinking that it would have been better for the architecture of
    the provider pattern to be implemented with interfaces instead of
    abstract classes in order to have better capability for location
    transparency. Maybe I am missing something about the remoting mechanism
    or maybe that is where the problem is and perhaps WCF solves this, but
    for now I am disappointed since I think this would have been easy to
    off load with COM, where an interface is an interface is an interface
    wherever the 80X86 bits may lie. Kind of a drag that I have to be
    someone's descendent to be able to telecommute as opposed to having
    to work in person.
    Is probably a better topic for the remoting group now.
    MikeS, Aug 24, 2006