Off topic, but my read only in winxp wont change...

manokumar

hiye, i notice that some if not all of my folders in winxp
pro. are set as read only and its giving me some problem
with development. so as the natural thing, i unchecked the
read only option and click apply then click ok. and when i
right click on the same folder again JUST TO MAKE SURE the
read only option is checked AGAIN. so again, unchecked,
and again its check and the cycle repeats. anyway, i'm the
administrator to this computer. so i should have all the
almight power right?

i'm having sleepless nights here, please helpme out..
thanks.

yours truly,
manokumar

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Manokumar,

This is by-design. See the following article:

326549 You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

mano kumar

okie it is a by design at stated by ms, but why wont my
read only changed, i did what the article told me to do
and still, nothing happend. but if i try attrib -h c:\data
the folder goes hidden but when i type attrib -r c:\data
nothing happends. why is that?

i still cant save data into my access tables cos the
folder is still marked as read only. why is that?

thanks for the reply...

mano.

From: "manokumar" <[email protected]>
Sender: "manokumar" <[email protected]>
Subject: Off topic, but my read only in winxp wont change...
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:40:29 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

hiye, i notice that some if not all of my folders in winxp
pro. are set as read only and its giving me some problem
with development. so as the natural thing, i unchecked the
read only option and click apply then click ok. and when i
right click on the same folder again JUST TO MAKE SURE the
read only option is checked AGAIN. so again, unchecked,
and again its check and the cycle repeats. anyway, i'm the
administrator to this computer. so i should have all the
almight power right?

i'm having sleepless nights here, please helpme out..
thanks.

yours truly,
manokumar

.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Mano,

This isn't going to prevent you from saving data into your Access database.
For that operation, only the read-only attribute on the file itself is
checked. The read-only attribute of the folder is not an issue.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)