Off Topic - Client Billing Question

Randy Rahbar

This is a little off topic, but I know a lot of you do custom work for
clients and may have some input on this...

I recently did some paid work for a client - I created a fully customizable
site, complete with an admin side and a shopping cart that is integrated
into the PayPal system. It all works fine and he's happy with it. Now he
wants to be able to resell "sub-stores" - sites that are identical to his,
but with their own customizable information. He pretty much wants to sell
copies of his code and wants me to help him set it up so he can do this on
the fly. Ok, no big deal.

My question (finally) is - how would you bill a client for a project like
this? Would you bill him a one-time lump fee for making the necessary
changes or charge him for each sub-store he sells - or both? Has anyone
ever had any experience with something like this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

middletree

Don't have an answer for you, but would like to let you know that for
business topics for web freelancers, there is a great newsgroup.
forums.webdevbiz.net, and the group is called Public

Randy Rahbar

Peter,

Thanks for you input - I think I'm going to go with the one time fee idea,
if for no other reason than less stress and headaches in the future.

Thanks again,
Randy

Randy Rahbar

Don't have an answer for you, but would like to let you know that for
business topics for web freelancers, there is a great newsgroup.
forums.webdevbiz.net, and the group is called Public

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely check it out.

Randy

David C. Holley

I've not encountered this personally. I suspect that legally your client
can resell the code without having to pay you a dime, unless of course
that there was a contract that stated otherwise. In short, he paid you
for the code and thus owns it. I would push to bill him on a per-site
basis given the fact that you are potentially losing business on the
basis of his actions. I would strongly recommend speaking with a lawyer
to discuss what rights you and your client have to the code when it
comes to reselling. Granted, if there was no contract specifically
stating that the code can't be resold or licensed, you may not have too
much control over who ends up being able to utilize it. I, however, am
not a lawyer and thus cannot speak definitely.

David