    Since this is the first project I work on my own, I don't know how much I
    should charge. Any help would be appreciated.
    THanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?Vk1J?=, Apr 18, 2005

  2. First, figure out how many hours it will take to develop. Of course, in
    order to do this, you will need a much more specific set of requirements.
    This set of requirements should be as complete as possible, no room for
    interpretation. Once you've agreed on the requirements, you can calculate
    the number of hours it will take to develop. Remember that it usually takes
    longer than you originally conceive, and account for that. Then it's a
    simple matter of multiplying the number of hours times your hourly rate.
    Make sure you are as detailed as possible again, to ensure that there are no
    misunderstandings between you and your client (of course, there will be, but
    you want to attentuate this as much as possible). Finally, draw up a
    contract, and require that the client sign on the dotted line.

    Also, it may be necessary for you to secure a downpayment, depending on how
    much and if you trust your client.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 18, 2005

  3. This topic is of interest to me too. I think the hourly rate, which you
    didn't mention, is a primary factor. Is there someplace on the Internet
    where there's a rough outline of going rates for development in various
    areas? I sure don't want to be undercutting anyone!

    Sandy

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Apr 18, 2005
  4. I'm not aware of such a site, but I would be surprised if there were not
    several such sites out there. Have you tried Googling it?

    You do bring up a good point. In fact, you don't want your rate to be too
    low, as it will scare many potential clients away!

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 19, 2005
  5. The client already know my hourly rate, I'm just not sure how many hours
    it'll take me. In this case, how many hours would it take to develop
    something like this (http://www.luispachecorg.com)?

    =?Utf-8?B?Vk1J?=, Apr 19, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Vk1J?=

    Hans Kesting Guest

    VMI wrote:
    > The client already know my hourly rate, I'm just not sure how many
    > hours it'll take me. In this case, how many hours would it take to
    > develop something like this (http://www.luispachecorg.com)?

    There is no general rule for this.
    It depends on your skills (are you just starting on web developement or
    do you have years and years of experience in ASP.Net ?) and on the tools
    available. With "tools" I mean not only VS.Net (or whatever)
    but also libraries that you may have that make developing such
    a site easier.

    Hans Kesting, Apr 19, 2005
  7. In this case, how many hours would it take to develop
    > something like this (http://www.luispachecorg.com)?

    How many hours would it take to run 10 miles? Answer: It depends on the
    runner.

    Also, you haven't stated any requirements. That description came from your
    potential client, who know s next-to-nothing about programming and/or
    technology. It's your job to extract the exact details of what the client
    wants, and determine the true and complete requirements.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP