off-topic: cost for developing site?

Guest

A client asked me to develop a site similar to http://www.luispachecorg.com
and I don't know how much I should charge for it. The site will have about 6
pages, and one of the pages will include a Search engine that will search for
houses in a DB that I will also create (similar to the Search under "Nuestras
propiedades" menu). Another page will include two calculators (similar to the
ones in
http://pacheco.elistados.com/calc_es.php?PHPSESSID=e707953ab584260dd40dab7518754bc5). The Flash will NOT be included (at least for now).
Since this is the first project I work on my own, I don't know how much I
should charge. Any help would be appreciated.
THanks.

Kevin Spencer

First, figure out how many hours it will take to develop. Of course, in
order to do this, you will need a much more specific set of requirements.
This set of requirements should be as complete as possible, no room for
interpretation. Once you've agreed on the requirements, you can calculate
the number of hours it will take to develop. Remember that it usually takes
longer than you originally conceive, and account for that. Then it's a
simple matter of multiplying the number of hours times your hourly rate.
Make sure you are as detailed as possible again, to ensure that there are no
misunderstandings between you and your client (of course, there will be, but
you want to attentuate this as much as possible). Finally, draw up a
contract, and require that the client sign on the dotted line.

Also, it may be necessary for you to secure a downpayment, depending on how
much and if you trust your client.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Guest

This topic is of interest to me too. I think the hourly rate, which you
didn't mention, is a primary factor. Is there someplace on the Internet
where there's a rough outline of going rates for development in various
areas? I sure don't want to be undercutting anyone!

Sandy

Kevin Spencer

I'm not aware of such a site, but I would be surprised if there were not
several such sites out there. Have you tried Googling it?

You do bring up a good point. In fact, you don't want your rate to be too
low, as it will scare many potential clients away!

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Hans Kesting

VMI said:
The client already know my hourly rate, I'm just not sure how many
hours it'll take me. In this case, how many hours would it take to
develop something like this (http://www.luispachecorg.com)?

There is no general rule for this.
It depends on your skills (are you just starting on web developement or
do you have years and years of experience in ASP.Net ?) and on the tools
available. With "tools" I mean not only VS.Net (or whatever)
but also libraries that you may have that make developing such
a site easier.

Kevin Spencer

In this case, how many hours would it take to develop

How many hours would it take to run 10 miles? Answer: It depends on the
runner.

Also, you haven't stated any requirements. That description came from your
potential client, who know s next-to-nothing about programming and/or
technology. It's your job to extract the exact details of what the client
wants, and determine the true and complete requirements.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP