(Off topic) Cyberwar question

Discussion in 'Java' started by Skybuck, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Skybuck

    Skybuck Guest

    Hello,

    One of my internet providers has blocked my broadband adsl internet
    connection for over a 2 months now. They still steal money from my bank
    account and they still hold the adsl line hostage, so I can switch over
    to another ADSL internet provider. I could switch over to a (tv) cable
    internet provider, however these are more expensive and only few
    providers available because of mergers.

    I am not happy about all this:

    1. Blocked internet access.
    2. Vastly reduced internet provider choice.
    3. They stealing money and providing no service for it in return.
    4. They received false complaints, they were too lazy to do proper
    research, and now they accuse me of things I did not do, and even if I
    did do it, it's not serious enough to disconnect anybody for 2 months.
    What are they, internet police ? I don't think so ?!

    The question is what to do about it ? I can see 4 options:

    1. Switch to a more expensive (tv) cable internet provider.
    2. Sue the ADSL internet provider.
    3. Start a cyberwar against the ADSL internet provider. It's the
    Italian Internet Provider (Tiscali). However I live in the Netherlands
    where they are also present !
    4. Stick with the current dial-up internet provider.

    Here is what I have to say about the options:

    1. I don't really want to switch to a more expensive (tv) cable
    internet provider, since it's more expensive, and they also have the
    same kind of contracts, so they may also disconnect me for no reason at
    all ! Most internet providers have some lines in their contracts which
    say: "We have the right to disconnect you at any time !". Ridicilous I
    say ! That's dangerous ! People might have internet telephone, and then
    they can't call the help services in case of fire or injury or other
    dangerous situations ! Furthermore internet is becoming more and more
    important, just disconnecting people for no reason or bullshit reasons
    should not be allowed anymore ! Internet has become to important to
    just let some internet provider mess it all up !

    2. The law in the Netherlands even states that disconnecting equipment
    from open communication networks without valid reason is a crime.
    However the goverment does little against it. It's a new law.
    Furthermore, most lawyers and judges know little about internet and
    it's technology, the same can be said for the police, they know little
    about it all, they are mostly busy catching street criminals and such.
    Going to the police at least in my neighbourhood is useless. Same can
    be said for the lawyers. However I am still waiting for the lawyers
    response... they still have to make up their minds. Gje. It's only been
    2 months... Gje.

    3. So that brings me to option three. Cyberwar ! We could start a
    cyberwar against such ISP's like Tiscali and block their networks from
    our webservers, websites and homepages. They don't provide me, and us,
    with services then we don't provide anymore of our services to them !
    So their networks will become less valuable ! At some point if enough
    people take part in the cyberwar, their users will switch, because they
    can no longer access any websites. It's mean, it's not nice, but the
    ISP is doing it already ! Should we do they same back at them ?

    That's my question really:

    Who is willing to start or support a Cyberwar against these kinds of
    Evil ISP's ? and maybe you have some ideas about such a war yourself ?
    we can discuss those.

    You can also reply via e-mail at:

    If we do start a cyberwar maybe we will become anonymous to protect
    ourselves somewhat.

    I can be short about option four, it's working, but it ain't great. Me
    not too happy about it. I was lucky I still have an old computer, with
    an old 33k6 modem which is still supported by Windows 98. I can forget
    about windows xp, it doesn't support it, as well as other older
    phone/fax/data modems <- no driver support. I might buy a new 56k6
    modem, but then I would have to replace one my graphics cards in my new
    computer, and that kinda sucks as well... and the improvement won't be
    that much and dial-up is kinda expensive... need to pay per minute...
    but it's not too expensive for now. The problem is... downloading
    larger stuff becomes a
    problem... so that's not good. I am not happy about that.

    Bye,
    Skybuck !
    Skybuck, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Skybuck

    Chris Smith Guest

    Skybuck <> wrote:
    > 3. So that brings me to option three. Cyberwar ! We could start a
    > cyberwar against such ISP's like Tiscali and block their networks from
    > our webservers, websites and homepages.

    Umm, yeah. Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.

    --
    Chris Smith
    Chris Smith, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Skybuck

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Skybuck wrote On 08/31/06 11:02,:
    > Hello,
    >
    > One of my internet providers has blocked my broadband adsl internet
    > connection for over a 2 months now. They still steal money from my bank
    > account and they still hold the adsl line hostage, so I can switch over
    > to another ADSL internet provider. I could switch over to a (tv) cable
    > internet provider, however these are more expensive and only few
    > providers available because of mergers.
    >
    > I am not happy about all this:
    >
    > 1. Blocked internet access.
    > 2. Vastly reduced internet provider choice.
    > 3. They stealing money and providing no service for it in return.
    > 4. They received false complaints, they were too lazy to do proper
    > research, and now they accuse me of things I did not do, and even if I
    > did do it, it's not serious enough to disconnect anybody for 2 months.
    > What are they, internet police ? I don't think so ?!

    Somebody using the name "Skybuck Flying" posted quite a
    lot of offensive nonsense to multiple Usenet groups some
    months ago, and I can easily believe that his ISP received
    complaints about his activities. If you happen to share the
    same ISP he uses, the unlucky similarity of screen names may
    have fooled the ISP into taking measures against you that
    were meant for him. Alert your ISP to the possibility that
    their ban has affected the wrong person; they'll probably be
    very apologetic if this is a case of "reverse identity theft."

    Eric Sosman, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Skybuck

    Skybuck Guest

    Update:

    5. I will prepare all evidence and I will ask a Dutch
    "Telecommunication watch dog" (called OPTA in short) to study my case.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck, Sep 3, 2006