(off topic) GOT-STL-P (Re: Interesting developments since "Beating the averages"?)

Discussion in 'C++' started by alex.gman@gmail.com, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

    > > What do Mohammed, Richard Stallman, Jesus Christ, Linux Torvalds and
    > > Erik Naggum have in common?

    Sorry to disappoint, but I was 100% serious about STL. The ideas that
    went into STL are indeed brilliant, on par with the "code is data"
    mantra Lispers like to talk about.

    , Feb 11, 2006

  2. Re: (off topic) GOT-STL-P (Re: Interesting developments since "Beatingthe averages"?)

    wrote:
    > Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
    >
    >>>What do Mohammed, Richard Stallman, Jesus Christ, Linux Torvalds and
    >>>Erik Naggum have in common?

    > Sorry to disappoint, but I was 100% serious about STL. The ideas that
    > went into STL are indeed brilliant, on par with the "code is data"
    > mantra Lispers like to talk about.

    OK - I'll bite.

    Let me preface this by saying I'm a proponent of the STL however there
    is nothing special about it that has not been done before.

    It's using the "It's all about the interface" mantra that has been
    touted since before I can remember. Admitedly, C++ just got a whole lot
    more knobs in the ability to generate Very Cool (TM) interfaces, but
    this is not attributable to the STL.

    C++ templates are brilliant. The learning curve may be a bit steep, but
    it's one of those things you can learn gradually and be useful early.
    Having said that, I think C++ templates was not designed in light of
    many of the uses it has today and so some things that would seem like
    obvious things to do are much harder than you would think they should be).

    Perhaps my biggest peeve about the STL is that there is no "null"
    iterator. This one simple thing can cause so much bother when creating
    generic interfaces that I've resorted to writing ny own containers in
    some cases.

    (Is Erik Naggum reputation still alive and kicking ? Last time I heard
    about Mr Naggum was about 10 years ago).

    Gianni Mariani, Feb 11, 2006