Off-Topic: Public Access NNTP servers

CJM

Apologies for the OT post, but as you will see my options were limited:

In addition to all these wonderful NG's, I also need access to the
comp.infosystems.www.* NG's. The open nntp server I had found and was using
seems to have disappeared into the void, so now I am looking for an
alternative.

Obviously Google have their Groups service, but apart from having a terrible
UI, it takes 3-9 hours to get my posts updated, rather than the 5-15mins
with an nntp server.

I would have liked to use my home ISP's server but it requires I be
connected via their dial-up service to access it.

Does anyone know of any open nntp servers I can use? Or a more responsive
web-based system?

I'm afraid my luddite bosses are not in the mood to throw *any* money at
this, so budget is zero!

HELP!

Thanks

Chris

CJM

William,

Thanks for that.

I'd tried that server before, but couldnt gain access.

I assumed you knew what you were talking about, therefore there must be a
way through. My german is sadly lacking, but I managed to stumble across a
registration page for the English server (news.individual.net).

So I'm registered, and connected now! Thanks for your help.

PS. I also notice you hanging around the same NG's. I'm surprised there
aren't more ASPers across there....

Chris

CJM

William Tasso said:
I'd consider there are two major reasons for their absence:
o They keep a low profile because of the *nix/apache zealots - as if the
server makes any difference to the quality of delivered markup.
o So many ASP programmers are working on intranets where the principals of
standards compliance (HTML) are simply not regarded as important - BTDTGTTS
but I'm ok now ;o)

Yeah, I found that too. But I'm getting more immune to the zealots. When
they remember to get to the point they can be quite helpful.
I have one client that has worked exclusively in the intranet world. Their
latest project is an extranet and they are flapping about like fish out of
water trying to control the browser environment. Unfortunately I have
failed to convince them that sending over a P.O. will be more cost-effective
than plying me with curry and beer to tell them what type of band-aid they
need to fix their latest self-induced 'problem'. /sighs oh well ....

Just what my current employers are like. 'But we only use IE!'. I try to
point out that the next version of IE will certainly be (almost)
standards-compliant, thus all out current pages will collapse in big heap!
They still only have the long-term planning capacity of a goldfish.
btw: the news admins that look after the Berlin server are very helpful and
will (usually) add a group if asked.

No need. Have all the groups I want. Happy as a pig in poo!

Cheers

Michael D. Kersey

CJM said:
Apologies for the OT post, but as you will see my options were limited:

In addition to all these wonderful NG's, I also need access to the
comp.infosystems.www.* NG's. The open nntp server I had found and was using
seems to have disappeared into the void, so now I am looking for an
Does anyone know of any open nntp servers I can use? Or a more responsive
web-based system?

Visit http://www.newzbot.com/
Remember that Google is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=free+newsgroups+servers&btnG=Google+Search