Off-Topic: Public Access NNTP servers

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by CJM, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Apologies for the OT post, but as you will see my options were limited:

    In addition to all these wonderful NG's, I also need access to the
    comp.infosystems.www.* NG's. The open nntp server I had found and was using
    seems to have disappeared into the void, so now I am looking for an
    alternative.

    Obviously Google have their Groups service, but apart from having a terrible
    UI, it takes 3-9 hours to get my posts updated, rather than the 5-15mins
    with an nntp server.

    I would have liked to use my home ISP's server but it requires I be
    connected via their dial-up service to access it.

    Does anyone know of any open nntp servers I can use? Or a more responsive
    web-based system?

    I'm afraid my luddite bosses are not in the mood to throw *any* money at
    this, so budget is zero!

    HELP!

    Thanks

    Chris
    CJM, Oct 7, 2003

  2. CJM

    CJM Guest

    William,

    Thanks for that.

    I'd tried that server before, but couldnt gain access.

    I assumed you knew what you were talking about, therefore there must be a
    way through. My german is sadly lacking, but I managed to stumble across a
    registration page for the English server (news.individual.net).

    So I'm registered, and connected now! Thanks for your help.

    PS. I also notice you hanging around the same NG's. I'm surprised there
    aren't more ASPers across there....

    Chris
    CJM, Oct 7, 2003

  3. CJM

    CJM Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > I'd consider there are two major reasons for their absence:
    > o They keep a low profile because of the *nix/apache zealots - as if the
    > server makes any difference to the quality of delivered markup.
    > o So many ASP programmers are working on intranets where the principals of
    > standards compliance (HTML) are simply not regarded as important -

    BTDTGTTS
    > but I'm ok now ;o)

    Yeah, I found that too. But I'm getting more immune to the zealots. When
    they remember to get to the point they can be quite helpful.

    > I have one client that has worked exclusively in the intranet world.

    Their
    > latest project is an extranet and they are flapping about like fish out of
    > water trying to control the browser environment. Unfortunately I have
    > failed to convince them that sending over a P.O. will be more

    cost-effective
    > than plying me with curry and beer to tell them what type of band-aid they
    > need to fix their latest self-induced 'problem'. /sighs oh well ....

    Just what my current employers are like. 'But we only use IE!'. I try to
    point out that the next version of IE will certainly be (almost)
    standards-compliant, thus all out current pages will collapse in big heap!
    They still only have the long-term planning capacity of a goldfish.

    > btw: the news admins that look after the Berlin server are very helpful

    and
    > will (usually) add a group if asked.

    No need. Have all the groups I want. Happy as a pig in poo!

    Cheers
    CJM, Oct 8, 2003
  4. CJM wrote:
    > Apologies for the OT post, but as you will see my options were limited:
    >
    > In addition to all these wonderful NG's, I also need access to the
    > comp.infosystems.www.* NG's. The open nntp server I had found and was using
    > seems to have disappeared into the void, so now I am looking for an

    <snipped>
    > Does anyone know of any open nntp servers I can use? Or a more responsive
    > web-based system?

    Visit http://www.newzbot.com/
    Remember that Google is your friend:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=free newsgroups servers&btnG=Google Search