    It would be great if the software could generate a invoice at the end
    of the month.

    Thanks
    Fred, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Fred

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Fred <> writing in

    > This may be a bit off topic but I think this is a good place to pose
    > this question.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend software that handles time sheets?
    > You know, a program that helps you log your time when working hourly
    > for a client.
    >
    > It would be great if the software could generate a invoice at the end
    > of the month.
    >
    > Thanks

    HTNL-Kit has that, it's not the best in the world, but it works for me,
    <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Mar 5, 2005

  3. On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:57:11 -0800, Fred wrote:

    > This may be a bit off topic but I think this is a good place to pose
    > this question.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend software that handles time sheets?
    > You know, a program that helps you log your time when working hourly
    > for a client.
    >
    > It would be great if the software could generate a invoice at the end
    > of the month.
    >
    > Thanks

    Imendio planner can be used for task & project management. KOrganizer is
    quite good at time management. Any spreadsheet can be made to do an OK
    job of time management and invoicing. GnuCash can be used for invoicing,
    and there is some time management ability within it. All of these come
    with many linux distributions, and some of them are available for windows
    and mac based computers.

    Carolyn
    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 5, 2005
  4. In article <>, says...
    > This may be a bit off topic but I think this is a good place to pose
    > this question.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend software that handles time sheets?
    > You know, a program that helps you log your time when working hourly
    > for a client.
    >
    > It would be great if the software could generate a invoice at the end
    > of the month.

    SharpOwl.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Fred

    Fred Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:57:11 -0800, Fred <> wrote:

    >This may be a bit off topic but I think this is a good place to pose
    >this question.
    >
    >Can anyone recommend software that handles time sheets?
    >You know, a program that helps you log your time when working hourly
    >for a client.
    >
    >It would be great if the software could generate a invoice at the end
    >of the month.
    >
    >Thanks

    Yep, I do currently use a spread sheet and it works well.

    I'm an advocate as working as efficiently as possible and having to
    boot Excel every time I punch in our out is tedious.

    Ultimately I'd like the program to reside in the system tray so every
    time I clock in all I have to do is hit a key stroke and I would be
    prompted with questions like

    Who are you working for (client name): = name is entered in this field
    What are you working on (project details) = project description is
    entered in this field

    You then hit the enter key and the program starts timing you.

    Then at the end of the month you can hit a button and review your
    times and descriptions to confirm their accuracy.

    I have been surfing Google for "Time Sheet Software" (I'm not sure if
    that's the best search) and I see a lot of online apps that fall into
    this category. I wonder if this is the best way to handle time sheet
    tracking.

    Thanks for posting your suggestions.
    Fred
    Fred, Mar 5, 2005
  6. Per Fred:
    >Ultimately I'd like the program to reside in the system tray so every
    >time I clock in all I have to do is hit a key stroke and I would be
    >prompted with questions like

    >Then at the end of the month you can hit a button and review your
    >times and descriptions to confirm their accuracy.
    >
    >I have been surfing Google for "Time Sheet Software" (I'm not sure if
    >that's the best search) and I see a lot of online apps that fall into
    >this category. I wonder if this is the best way to handle time sheet
    >tracking.

    I've been doing the DB thing. Wound up writing my own MS Access application -
    probably mostly out of ignorance about what's already out there.

    The "punch-in-punch-out" idea has sounded good to me from time-to-time; but I
    always passed on it after some thought.

    I used to write my time into DayTimers until I got fed up with their billing
    system. Now I write it into little 4x6 spiral-bound notebooks that I get at
    Staples - one per month and batch-transcribe into my timekeeping app when the
    mood strikes.

    Advantages:
    -----------
    1) Not all of my billable hours happen with a computer (especially ths *same*
    computer) at hand.

    2) I can scribble into the notebook faster than I can fill out an online form.

    3) The book serves as a sort of diary....in some cases faster and more
    conviently scanned by thumb/eyeball than any database.

    4) I've got something to go back to if an "official" (i.e. billing report)
    activity looks suspicious - like maybe a typo in the hours or the wrong
    project/client entered.

    5) I need to carry a book anyhow - if only for random notes and other things
    that don't work so well on a Palm Pilot.

    6) (marginal) It's backup in case my DB goes south and hasn't been backed up
    recently enough.

    Disadvantages:
    --------------
    1) Double entry. But also an advantage per #s 4 & 6 above.

    2) If I lose a booklet before entering the time I'm screwed. Came close two
    times in the 12 years I've been doing it....but hasn't happened yet. Knock on
    wood....
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Mar 5, 2005
  7. Fred

    Bob Long Guest

    In news:eek:,
    Fred <> typed:
    > This may be a bit off topic but I think this is a good place to pose
    > this question.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend software that handles time sheets?
    > You know, a program that helps you log your time when working hourly
    > for a client.
    >
    > It would be great if the software could generate a invoice at the end
    > of the month.
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.syntap.com/products_timestamp.htm
    Can export to XML and delimited ASCII.

    Bob Long
    Bob Long, Mar 8, 2005
  8. Fred

    pixelmeow Guest

    You won't *believe* what Fred <> said on Sat, 05 Mar 2005
    08:30:19 -0800, in alt.html!!!

    >On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:57:11 -0800, Fred <> wrote:
    >
    >>This may be a bit off topic but I think this is a good place to pose
    >>this question.
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend software that handles time sheets?
    >>You know, a program that helps you log your time when working hourly
    >>for a client.
    >>
    >>It would be great if the software could generate a invoice at the end
    >>of the month.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    >Yep, I do currently use a spread sheet and it works well.
    >
    >I'm an advocate as working as efficiently as possible and having to
    >boot Excel every time I punch in our out is tedious.
    >
    >Ultimately I'd like the program to reside in the system tray so every
    >time I clock in all I have to do is hit a key stroke and I would be
    >prompted with questions like
    >
    >Who are you working for (client name): = name is entered in this field
    >What are you working on (project details) = project description is
    >entered in this field
    >
    >You then hit the enter key and the program starts timing you.
    >
    >Then at the end of the month you can hit a button and review your
    >times and descriptions to confirm their accuracy.
    >
    >I have been surfing Google for "Time Sheet Software" (I'm not sure if
    >that's the best search) and I see a lot of online apps that fall into
    >this category. I wonder if this is the best way to handle time sheet
    >tracking.
    >
    >Thanks for posting your suggestions.
    >Fred

    I could write a program that does this for you. If you are
    interested, contact me at teresa @ teresarobinson dot net. I'm trying
    to get up to speed with HTML using suggestions I read here, so there's
    nothing to see on that website, but I will gladly forward my resume if
    you desire.

    Let me know, and apologies to the group for my blatant
    self-promotion.

    --
    Teresa Robinson
    Pixel Software