Off topic (with explanation and apologies): Game authoring software for bright pre-adolescent?

Steven O.

I tried posting this in some newsgroups dedicated specifically to
gaming software, but found there was almost no traffic at all. The
few replies I received were well-intentioned, but didn't really
provide pointers to the kind of software I was seeking. So, with
apologies, I thought I would try again in some high-traffic software
newsgroups. With luck, you will help steer a bright young child into
a brilliant future in software engineering:

I have some friends who have a very bright eleven year old son. The
kid loves to write up detailed, elaborate adventure stories, in the
spirit of Lord Of The Rings, and to illustrate them. He also likes to
play with computers. Is there some kind of programming tool he can
use that would let him author his own game programs? I'm thinking of
something that might let him use pre-designed art, and/or scan in his
own art, plus add text, game rules, etc. For the sake of his own
learning and growth, it would be nice if the program could have a
simple, "Wizard" driven/dialog mode; but could also have a more
advanced mode that would let him learn to do some simple coding, at a
Visual Basic type level. Any suggestions for such a tool, at an
affordable price, would be much appreciated.

Reply in the newsgroup, or to
steveqdr AATT RemoveSpamPhrase yahoo DDOOTT youKnowTheRest

Andrew Thompson

..apologies, I thought I would try again in some high-traffic software
newsgroups.

I speak for me when I say. (shrugs) It's cool.
Especially given the circumstances you outlined,
and for being upfront about it being a repost
(few people have that level of common-sense).
..With luck, you will help steer a bright young child into
a brilliant future in software engineering:
:)

I have some friends who have a very bright eleven year old son. The
kid loves to write up detailed, elaborate adventure stories, in the
spirit of Lord Of The Rings, and to illustrate them. He also likes to
play with computers. Is there some kind of programming tool he can
use that would let him author his own game programs? I'm thinking of
something that might let him use pre-designed art, and/or scan in his
own art, plus add text, game rules, etc. For the sake of his own
learning and growth, it would be nice if the program could have a
simple, "Wizard" driven/dialog mode; but could also have a more
advanced mode that would let him learn to do some simple coding, at a
Visual Basic type level. Any suggestions for such a tool, at an
affordable price, would be much appreciated.

I have not done much Flash development, but I suspect Flash
could provide a lot of what this kid needs, with a much easier
learning curve than either Java or VB, or (checks headers) C++.

If this kid is as bright as folks suspect, they may outgrow
Flash relatively quickly, but it would not hurt to have done
a little Flash development in any case.

[ I am not too sure about the 'Wizards' and such, but
Java does not have them. Though some of the more
advanced 'integrated development environments' (Java
editors) might offer Wizards in one form or another,
these IDE's are designed for programmers that are
already familiar and comfortable with writing the
language. ]

As an aside. I am hoping, that should you ever need to
make another post to the comp.lang.java.* groups, you
might choose a shorter 'subject' (without the apologies
in the subject line!).

Also, to be an 'extra fine' citizen. You might also
set Follow-Ups to one of the chosen groups (of an x-post).
I am setting any follow-ups to my post, to c.l.j.programmer only.

HTH

Paul Sinnett

Steven said:
Any suggestions for such a tool, at an
affordable price, would be much appreciated.

I can't recommend any because I haven't tried any myself. But the
phrase you need is "rpg maker". Put that in Google and you'll get about
a million hits. The following is an index to some of them:

http://rmlist.rpgsource.net/

Vadim Gaidukevich

Hello, Steven!
You wrote on Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:01:56 GMT:

SO> I have some friends who have a very bright eleven year old son. The
SO> kid loves to write up detailed, elaborate adventure stories, in the
SO> spirit of Lord Of The Rings, and to illustrate them. He also likes to
SO> play with computers. Is there some kind of programming tool he can
SO> use that would let him author his own game programs? I'm thinking of
SO> something that might let him use pre-designed art, and/or scan in his
SO> own art, plus add text, game rules, etc. For the sake of his own
SO> learning and growth, it would be nice if the program could have a
SO> simple, "Wizard" driven/dialog mode; but could also have a more
SO> advanced mode that would let him learn to do some simple coding, at a
SO> Visual Basic type level. Any suggestions for such a tool, at an
SO> affordable price, would be much appreciated.

The latest useful tool I saw was written on ZX-Spectrum :)
However, for some types of games you can write such tool by yourself within
a weekend.
The simplest games rules are:
Question with one or more answers. New question is showed depending of
answer.
spending one more weekend you can add monsters to the game (trols, orcs) and
possibility to fight with them.

With best regards,
Vadim Gaidukevich
Best Agile Management Software
http://www.targetprocess.com

Horace

Vadim Gaidukevich:
The latest useful tool I saw was written on ZX-Spectrum :)

Oh, what good old days!

I remember two: The Quill, and The Adventure Construction Kit, the latter
used (if I am not mistaken) by the glorious Level 9. I am sure there
was at least one or two more.
It existed even The Hurg, but aimed at arcade gaming

Unsatisfacted with the parser, I started writing my own engine, and I
learned very much about programming... that son can have a career in
programming! :)