Official User Agent Format?

Toni

I've got a simple ASP script that logs access to a particular file. The access log is
just a simple comma-delimited text file.

I've been looking, but I can't find this info: what are the specifications for what a
User Agent string can or cannot contain?

I am PARTICULARLY interested in if a UA string is allowed to contain a comma ",". (I'm
hoping that they cannot).

Can anyone point me to a resource that will tell if a User Agent string can - or
CANNOT - contain a comma?

Thanks so much!

Toni

Evertjan.

Toni wrote on 06 aug 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I've got a simple ASP script that logs access to a particular file.
The access log is just a simple comma-delimited text file.

I've been looking, but I can't find this info: what are the
specifications for what a User Agent string can or cannot contain?

I am PARTICULARLY interested in if a UA string is allowed to contain a
comma ",". (I'm hoping that they cannot).

Can anyone point me to a resource that will tell if a User Agent
string can - or CANNOT - contain a comma?

Just replace() the comma with something else,
if there never is a comma, it won't hurt.

Adrienne Boswell

I've got a simple ASP script that logs access to a particular file.
The access log is just a simple comma-delimited text file.

I've been looking, but I can't find this info: what are the
specifications for what a User Agent string can or cannot contain?

I am PARTICULARLY interested in if a UA string is allowed to contain a
comma ",". (I'm hoping that they cannot).

Can anyone point me to a resource that will tell if a User Agent
string can - or CANNOT - contain a comma?

Thanks so much!

Toni

Here's a UA string from one of my logs, and yes, it contains a comma:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_4; en-us)
AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1

Toni

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Toni" writing...

Here's a UA string from one of my logs, and yes, it contains a comma:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_4; en-us)
AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1

Very useful - thanks, Adrienne!!!

Toni