    CANNOT - contain a comma?

    Thanks so much!

    Toni
    Toni, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Toni

    Evertjan. Guest

    Toni wrote on 06 aug 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I've got a simple ASP script that logs access to a particular file.
    > The access log is just a simple comma-delimited text file.
    >
    > I've been looking, but I can't find this info: what are the
    > specifications for what a User Agent string can or cannot contain?
    >
    > I am PARTICULARLY interested in if a UA string is allowed to contain a
    > comma ",". (I'm hoping that they cannot).
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a resource that will tell if a User Agent
    > string can - or CANNOT - contain a comma?

    Just replace() the comma with something else,
    if there never is a comma, it won't hurt.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Aug 6, 2008

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Toni" <> writing
    in news:OL2esx#:

    > I've got a simple ASP script that logs access to a particular file.
    > The access log is just a simple comma-delimited text file.
    >
    > I've been looking, but I can't find this info: what are the
    > specifications for what a User Agent string can or cannot contain?
    >
    > I am PARTICULARLY interested in if a UA string is allowed to contain a
    > comma ",". (I'm hoping that they cannot).
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a resource that will tell if a User Agent
    > string can - or CANNOT - contain a comma?
    >
    > Thanks so much!
    >
    > Toni

    Here's a UA string from one of my logs, and yes, it contains a comma:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_4; en-us)
    AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 6, 2008
  4. Toni

    Toni Guest

    "Adrienne Boswell" wrote...
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Toni" writing...
    >
    > > I've got a simple ASP script that logs access to a particular file.
    > > The access log is just a simple comma-delimited text file.
    > >
    > > I've been looking, but I can't find this info: what are the
    > > specifications for what a User Agent string can or cannot contain?
    > >
    > > I am PARTICULARLY interested in if a UA string is allowed to contain a
    > > comma ",". (I'm hoping that they cannot).
    > >
    > > Can anyone point me to a resource that will tell if a User Agent
    > > string can - or CANNOT - contain a comma?
    > >
    > > Thanks so much!
    > >
    > > Toni
    > >

    > Here's a UA string from one of my logs, and yes, it contains a comma:
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_4; en-us)
    > AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1

    Very useful - thanks, Adrienne!!!

    Toni
    Toni, Aug 9, 2008