Offline Browser-Based

soroushe

Hi all -

I am starting a plan for building a web application based on .NET 2.0
Framework in conjunction with Spring Framework. However, my market
requirements requires me to allow the application to run completely
offline in the browser. Meaning, the same application that is deployed
on our servers, would have to be deployed (along with the DB) on the
client's machine and run completely disconnected.

Since this is new to me, I like to know if any one can point me in the
right direction in regards to the following questions.

1) How would such a application be installed on the client's machine?
2) What kind of DB would be feasable to run on the client's machine?
3) Once the application is installed, how could we deliver incremental
updates?

Thanks,

bruce barker

it depends on what disconnected means.

a) load web page from internet, but will run disconnected after
b) will startup with no internet access.

you solve a with a library like google grears which supports IE, firefox,
and webkit safari.

for b, you have three options:

1) run the html pages from from disk (no aspx or .net required). this is
getting harder due to browser security settings.

2) install a web server on the client that hosts the pages.

3) write a fat client that uses web services to access internet data.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

soroushe

it depends on what disconnected means.

a) load web page from internet, but will run disconnected after
b) will startup with no internet access.

you solve a with a library like google grears which supports IE, firefox,
and webkit safari.

for b, you have three options:

1) run the html pages from from disk (no aspx or .net required). this is
getting harder due to browser security settings.

2) install a web server on the client that hosts the pages.

3) write a fat client that uses web services to access internet data.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the help. I define disconnected as not havinig the need to
be connected at all once the application is installed. The application
server and DB is run on the client's machine. I you suggested, the
best method is to install a server on the client's machine and have it
server the pages. In your opinion what would be the best way to
install the server on the client's machine? I am assuming not all
systems have IIS installed.

Registered User

Hi all -

I am starting a plan for building a web application based on .NET 2.0
Framework in conjunction with Spring Framework. However, my market
requirements requires me to allow the application to run completely
offline in the browser. Meaning, the same application that is deployed
on our servers, would have to be deployed (along with the DB) on the
client's machine and run completely disconnected.

Since this is new to me, I like to know if any one can point me in the
right direction in regards to the following questions.

1) How would such a application be installed on the client's machine?
2) What kind of DB would be feasable to run on the client's machine?
3) Once the application is installed, how could we deliver incremental
updates?
I mean no disrespect but I think there is a need to re-consider what
you're trying to do before moving on to the how. I have to question
the need for a web application if the clients will each have their own
full installation.

Apparently each client will need a web server and a database server.
Each client's software/hardware combination will be an unknown
fingerprint and this will not simplify installations. Once the servers
are installed administration becomes the issue. Expecting the user
install and administer these tools just run an application in a
browser seems excessive. Installation and set-up may be a one time
thing but the need for administrative support will never go away.

It sounds like someone got carried away with 'runs anywhere in a
browser'.

regards
A.G.