    using 'File / Save As...', but the frames get all confused.

    Any help greatly appreciated.
    - Paul Davidowitz

    Paul, May 29, 2007

  2. Paul

    Jano Svitok Guest

    On 5/29/07, Paul <> wrote:
    > I would like to download the Rails Framework Documentation (http://
    > rails.rubyonrails.com/) so I can use it offline.
    > I tried doing 'File / Save As...' but that didn't work.
    >
    > I had limited success with downloading http://corelib.rubyonrails.org/
    > using 'File / Save As...', but the frames get all confused.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    > - Paul Davidowitz

    1. download wget, and run wget -m -k api.rubionrails.com (I'm not
    about the switches, use --help and or google to find out)

    2. you can obtain docs for a particular gem if you run rdoc in the
    respective directory. Or, run rdoc with a list of paths to all the
    rails gems. i.e.

    rdoc c:/ruby/lib/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.x.x/lib c:/ruby/lib/... etc.

    3. there was a recent thread about generating rdoc for the ruby core,
    as seen on ruby-doc.org ;-). The rails docs are generated similarly.

    DISCLAIMER: It's midnight here, so take this as a hint, and please
    work out the details ;-)

    Jano

    Jano Svitok, May 29, 2007

  3. Paul

    Emilio Tagua Guest

    On 5/29/07, Paul <> wrote:
    > I would like to download the Rails Framework Documentation (http://
    > rails.rubyonrails.com/) so I can use it offline.
    > I tried doing 'File / Save As...' but that didn't work.
    >
    > I had limited success with downloading http://corelib.rubyonrails.org/
    > using 'File / Save As...', but the frames get all confused.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    > - Paul Davidowitz

    $gem_server

    Then open your browser @ http://localhost:8808/

    Enjoy!

    Emilio Tagua, May 30, 2007
  4. Paul

    James Britt Guest

    Jano Svitok wrote:
    > On 5/29/07, Paul <> wrote:
    >> I would like to download the Rails Framework Documentation (http://
    >> rails.rubyonrails.com/) so I can use it offline.
    >> I tried doing 'File / Save As...' but that didn't work.
    >>
    >> I had limited success with downloading http://corelib.rubyonrails.org/
    >> using 'File / Save As...', but the frames get all confused.
    >>
    >> Any help greatly appreciated.
    >> - Paul Davidowitz

    > 1. download wget, and run wget -m -k api.rubionrails.com (I'm not
    > about the switches, use --help and or google to find out)

    Please do not encourage people to do this.

    It will eat up considerable bandwidth from a site that is offering a
    free service, and gains you nothing you cannot get for yourself in
    other, better ways.

    --
    James Britt

    www.ruby-doc.org

    James Britt, May 30, 2007
  5. Create a Rails app, and then from the root of the application execute:
    rake doc:rails

    That will place the API documentation in doc/api/.

    --Jeremy

    --
    http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

    My free Ruby e-book:

    My blogs:
    http://www.mrneighborly.com/
    http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

    Jeremy McAnally, May 31, 2007
  6. Paul

    James Britt Guest

    list. rb wrote:
    > Can you share with the list what those better ways are? Is it tar'd up
    > somewhere? I've always wanted to get a local copy of the api and never
    > thought about using wget until this mail.

    Get the source (i.e gem install rails -y)
    Run rdoc over the source

    I'm pretty sure that's how it gets created for display on rubyonrails.com

    If there's more to than that, then perhaps someone on the rails list
    could give more detail.

    James

    James Britt, May 31, 2007
  7. List Rb wrote:
    > What am I doing wrong? Perhaps because when I installed rails I didn't
    > pass
    > the -y flag?
    >
    > Thanks in advance:

    That's exactly what I get. On the other hand, doesn't using the
    installed gems for docs mean that they will be split up into rails,
    activerecord etc...?

    best,
    Dan

    Daniel Lucraft, May 31, 2007
  8. Paul

    Jano Svitok Guest

    On 6/2/07, list. rb <> wrote:
    > I guess it's wget for the win?
    >
    > On 5/31/07, Daniel Lucraft <> wrote:
    > >
    > > List Rb wrote:
    > > > What am I doing wrong? Perhaps because when I installed rails I didn't
    > > > pass
    > > > the -y flag?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance:

    > > That's exactly what I get. On the other hand, doesn't using the
    > > installed gems for docs mean that they will be split up into rails,
    > > activerecord etc...?
    > >
    > > best,
    > > Dan

    Ok, so some more things to try:

    1. [1] says do
    rake rails:freeze:gems
    before
    rake doc:rails

    2. if you don't want to freeze your rails app, create a new one and freeze that.

    3. this is a Rails specific question now, so it'd better to ask on
    rails list/group - this is not a question of rdoc anymore, it's about
    how their rakefiles are set up.

    [1] http://squizlog.keithpitty.org/archives/000501.html

    (I didn't try this, I just googled, so I might be wrong.)

    Jano

    Jano Svitok, Jun 2, 2007