    Thanks,

    Justin.
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

    Justin Sane, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Justin Sane wrote:

    > Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator to
    > use locally

    http://validator.w3.org/source/

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Justin Sane

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Justin Sane wrote:
    > I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator
    > (I can't stand error!)
    > I also develop using application/xhtml+xml header, but still, there are
    > errors that are not XML errors but that the W3C reports as errors
    > because some elements are not supposed to be where they are at times.
    >
    > Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator
    > to use locally, maybe a PHP debug script, I don't know...?
    > That would save time :)

    aRealValidator.com has a true validator. Highly recommended.

    C A Upsdell, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Justin Sane wrote:
    > I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator
    > (I can't stand error!)
    > I also develop using application/xhtml+xml header, but still, there are
    > errors that are not XML errors but that the W3C reports as errors
    > because some elements are not supposed to be where they are at times.
    >
    > Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator
    > to use locally, maybe a PHP debug script, I don't know...?
    > That would save time :)

    Try the web developer toolbar in Firefox. I've come to rely on that
    pretty heavily. It's just like having a local validator. Actually, It
    will validate 'local HTML' sez here, but I've never used that.

    Matt-the-Hoople, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Justin Sane wrote:

    > I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator
    > (I can't stand error!)

    For XHTML you can use any validating XML parser.

    xpost and f'up2 c.t.x.
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

    Johannes Koch, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Johannes Koch wrote:

    > For XHTML you can use any validating XML parser.

    And it would even be better because the W3C Markup Validator uses OpenSP
    (an SGML tool) for validating XHTML, which has known limitations in XML
    support.
    --
    Johannes Koch
    (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

    Johannes Koch, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Justin Sane

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:48:15 +0200, Johannes Koch
    <> wrote:

    >And it would even be better because the W3C Markup Validator uses OpenSP
    >(an SGML tool) for validating XHTML, which has known limitations in XML
    >support.

    OTOH, it's still common practice to server XHTML as text/html and to
    comply with Appendix C. Running it through a HTML validator can often
    be a useful insight.

    Andy Dingley, Jun 17, 2005
  8. On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:48:15 +0200, Johannes Koch
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >And it would even be better because the W3C Markup Validator uses OpenSP
    > >(an SGML tool) for validating XHTML, which has known limitations in XML
    > >support.

    > OTOH, it's still common practice to serve XHTML as text/html and to
    > comply with Appendix C.

    (you omitted to say that this is only applicable to XHTML/1.0)

    > Running it through a HTML validator can often
    > be a useful insight.

    Except that a true SGML-based HTML validator will not have the bug(s)
    upon which Appendix C needs to rely. To name just one that frequently
    trips people up: the SGML NET shorttag.

    I recall that emacs-w3 browser had to be deliberately broken to get
    this to work the way that the W3C intended. Previously it had taken
    seriously the W3C claim that HTML was an "application of SGML".

    Alan J. Flavell, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Alan J. Flavell wrote:

    > I recall that emacs-w3 browser had to be deliberately broken to get
    > this to work the way that the W3C intended. Previously it had taken
    > seriously the W3C claim that HTML was an "application of SGML".

    And just to see how bad it is:
    http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/gr.png (note the ">")

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 18, 2005
  10. Justin Sane

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Justin Sane wrote:

    > I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator (I
    > can't stand error!)
    > I also develop using application/xhtml+xml header, but still, there are
    > errors that are not XML errors but that the W3C reports as errors because
    > some elements are not supposed to be where they are at times.
    >
    > Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator to
    > use locally, maybe a PHP debug script, I don't know...?

    Just use a validating editor.
    FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/developers/software/

    ///Peter
    &;top"