Offline XHTML validator ?

Justin Sane

I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator (I
can't stand error!)
I also develop using application/xhtml+xml header, but still, there are
errors that are not XML errors but that the W3C reports as errors because
some elements are not supposed to be where they are at times.

Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator to
use locally, maybe a PHP debug script, I don't know...?
That would save time :)

C A Upsdell

Justin said:
I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator
(I can't stand error!)
I also develop using application/xhtml+xml header, but still, there are
errors that are not XML errors but that the W3C reports as errors
because some elements are not supposed to be where they are at times.

Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator
to use locally, maybe a PHP debug script, I don't know...?
That would save time :)

aRealValidator.com has a true validator. Highly recommended.

Matt-the-Hoople

Justin said:
I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator
(I can't stand error!)
I also develop using application/xhtml+xml header, but still, there are
errors that are not XML errors but that the W3C reports as errors
because some elements are not supposed to be where they are at times.

Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator
to use locally, maybe a PHP debug script, I don't know...?
That would save time :)

Try the web developer toolbar in Firefox. I've come to rely on that
pretty heavily. It's just like having a local validator. Actually, It
will validate 'local HTML' sez here, but I've never used that.

Johannes Koch

Justin said:
I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator
(I can't stand error!)

For XHTML you can use any validating XML parser.

xpost and f'up2 c.t.x.

Johannes Koch

Johannes said:
For XHTML you can use any validating XML parser.

And it would even be better because the W3C Markup Validator uses OpenSP
(an SGML tool) for validating XHTML, which has known limitations in XML
support.

Andy Dingley

And it would even be better because the W3C Markup Validator uses OpenSP
(an SGML tool) for validating XHTML, which has known limitations in XML
support.

OTOH, it's still common practice to server XHTML as text/html and to
comply with Appendix C. Running it through a HTML validator can often
be a useful insight.

Alan J. Flavell

OTOH, it's still common practice to serve XHTML as text/html and to
comply with Appendix C.

(you omitted to say that this is only applicable to XHTML/1.0)
Running it through a HTML validator can often
be a useful insight.

Except that a true SGML-based HTML validator will not have the bug(s)
upon which Appendix C needs to rely. To name just one that frequently
trips people up: the SGML NET shorttag.

I recall that emacs-w3 browser had to be deliberately broken to get
this to work the way that the W3C intended. Previously it had taken
seriously the W3C claim that HTML was an "application of SGML".

Peter Flynn

Justin said:
I'm always sending back and forth my pages to the W3C XHTML validator (I
can't stand error!)
I also develop using application/xhtml+xml header, but still, there are
errors that are not XML errors but that the W3C reports as errors because
some elements are not supposed to be where they are at times.

Is there a way to have the exact equivalent of the W3C XHTML validator to
use locally, maybe a PHP debug script, I don't know...?

Just use a validating editor.
FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/developers/software/

///Peter