    Thanks.

    --
    Gerardo Santana
    Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido, Jan 20, 2007

  2. Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

    Harry Guest

    Harry, Jan 20, 2007

  3. On Jan 19, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Greg Pederson wrote:

    > I don't know Japanese, only a couple of expressions that I learned
    > when I
    > was traveling to Japan for work, but I'd maybe recommend trying
    > Rosetta
    > Stone <http://www.rosettastone.com/en/individuals/languages/japanese>

    I use the Rosetta Stone, for Japanese, and love it.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Jan 20, 2007
  4. Re: Learning Japanese

    Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:
    > what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did it work?
    > What would you recommend?

    I just watched lots and lots of Japanese anime with English subtitles.
    ;-)

    It is a good approach *in addition* to your usual study of the language
    because it helps you learn the culture through immersion... I cannot
    afford to visit Japan, so anime is the next best thing.

    Suraj Kurapati, Jan 20, 2007
  5. Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

    h4lfl1ng Guest

    Some good resources are podcasts. Here are some of the things I use.

    http://www.japanesepod101.com/
    http://www.japancast.net
    http://japanese-online.com

    Most of the sites also have a membership fee if you want to go in deeper. I
    haven't applied for any, but I think it would be worth it.

    Gerardo Santana G=C3=B3mez Garrido wrote:
    >=20
    > Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
    > and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
    > include Japanese.
    >=20
    > I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
    > Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
    > I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
    > it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
    > a nice Japanese girl ;-)
    >=20
    > The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
    > it work? What would you recommend?
    >=20
    > Thanks.
    >=20
    > --=20
    > Gerardo Santana
    >=20
    >=20
    >=20

    --=20
    anese-tf3043348.html#a8461997
    Sent from the ruby-talk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
    h4lfl1ng, Jan 20, 2007
  6. On 1/20/07, Gerardo Santana G=F3mez Garrido <> wro=
    te:
    > Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
    > and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
    > include Japanese.
    >
    > I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
    > Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
    > I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
    > it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
    > a nice Japanese girl ;-)
    >
    > The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
    > it work? What would you recommend?

    It's not total beginner level (you should at least know kana), but if you
    get kanji skills in a quick and fun way, check jrpg [ http://zabor.org/jrpg=
    / ].

    And yeah, it's coded in Python :p

    --=20
    Tomasz Wegrzanowski [ http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/ ]
    Tomasz Wegrzanowski, Jan 20, 2007
  7. Thank you everybody for your help. Hope to be able to thank you again
    some day in Japanese.

    --
    Gerardo Santana
    Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido, Jan 21, 2007
  8. Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

    Zev Blut Guest

    On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:03:25 +0900, Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
    > and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
    > include Japanese.

    < Snip >

    > The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
    > it work? What would you recommend?

    It all depends upon how you learn, although there are a few techniques
    I can highly recommend:

    *) Learn Hiragana and Katakana, do not spend much time on Romanji.
    Doing this will really help you pronunciation, plus it will help
    you out a bit if you go to Japan.

    *) Take a course at your local university / community college.

    *) Go to Japan.

    I took Japanese at university as my language requirement. I found the
    beginning grammar so much easier and different than the other
    languages I studied that I really enjoyed studying it. From that I
    decided that I did not want to what I learned to go to waste so I
    managed to find a way to work in Japan.

    Good luck!
    Zev
    Zev Blut, Jan 22, 2007
  9. Good day!

    On Jan 20, 2007, at 03:03, Gerardo Santana G=C3=B3mez Garrido wrote:

    > The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
    > it work? What would you recommend?

    After learning kana I recommend to learn kanji with "Remembering Kanji"=20=

    by JW Heisig or maybe you have a Spanish book that uses a similar=20
    approach (I've done well with Russian book "The Way of a Bird Without=20
    Tail" =E2=80=94 the idea is to use imagination for mnemonics of kanji).
    I've been learning Japanese by myself for two years but considering my=20=

    laziness I ended with poor vocabulary and about 400 kanji (I didn't=20
    have Heisig's book then) though good grammar. Now I somewhat stopped=20
    but I think I'm going to continue my study if I have an opportunity to=20=

    find a native Japanese speaker. It's hard to master colloquial speech=20
    without that.

    Your sincerely,
    Damian/Three-eyed Fish=
    Damian Terentyev, Jan 22, 2007
  10. Re: Learning Japanese

    Suraj Kurapati wrote:
    > Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido wrote:
    >> what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did it work?
    >> What would you recommend?

    > I just watched lots and lots of Japanese anime with English subtitles.
    > ;-)
    >
    > It is a good approach *in addition* to your usual study of the language
    > because it helps you learn the culture through immersion... I cannot
    > afford to visit Japan, so anime is the next best thing.

    I did that too but now all my Japanese friends tell me I speak like an
    anime character.

    Can't win 'em all...

    Daniel
    Daniel DeLorme, Jan 23, 2007