[Offtopic] Learning Japanese

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
include Japanese.

I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
a nice Japanese girl ;-)

The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
it work? What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Suraj Kurapati

Gerardo said:
what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did it work?
What would you recommend?

I just watched lots and lots of Japanese anime with English subtitles.
;-)

It is a good approach *in addition* to your usual study of the language
because it helps you learn the culture through immersion... I cannot
afford to visit Japan, so anime is the next best thing.

h4lfl1ng

Some good resources are podcasts. Here are some of the things I use.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/
http://www.japancast.net
http://japanese-online.com

Most of the sites also have a membership fee if you want to go in deeper. I
haven't applied for any, but I think it would be worth it.

=20
Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
include Japanese.
=20
I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
a nice Japanese girl ;-)
=20
The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
it work? What would you recommend?
=20
Thanks.
=20
--=20
Gerardo Santana
=20
=20
=20

--=20
anese-tf3043348.html#a8461997
Sent from the ruby-talk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Tomasz Wegrzanowski

Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
include Japanese.

I've compiled a set of URLs to sites of Japanese tutorials.
Pronunciation seems easy, from my Spanish background, and even though
I'm confident I can teach myself Japanese, I also think that learning
it with the help of another human would be nicer, especially if she is
a nice Japanese girl ;-)

The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
it work? What would you recommend?

It's not total beginner level (you should at least know kana), but if you
get kanji skills in a quick and fun way, check jrpg [ http://zabor.org/jrpg=
/ ].

And yeah, it's coded in Python :p

--=20
Tomasz Wegrzanowski [ http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/ ]

Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido

Thank you everybody for your help. Hope to be able to thank you again
some day in Japanese.

Zev Blut

Thanks to Ruby I've learned a lot recently about programming languages
and it has widen my universe of things I want to learn. These things
include Japanese.

The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
it work? What would you recommend?

It all depends upon how you learn, although there are a few techniques
I can highly recommend:

*) Learn Hiragana and Katakana, do not spend much time on Romanji.
Doing this will really help you pronunciation, plus it will help
you out a bit if you go to Japan.

*) Take a course at your local university / community college.

*) Go to Japan.

I took Japanese at university as my language requirement. I found the
beginning grammar so much easier and different than the other
languages I studied that I really enjoyed studying it. From that I
decided that I did not want to what I learned to go to waste so I
managed to find a way to work in Japan.

Good luck!
Zev

Damian Terentyev

Good day!

The questions are, what was your approach for learning Japanese? Did
it work? What would you recommend?

After learning kana I recommend to learn kanji with "Remembering Kanji"=20=

by JW Heisig or maybe you have a Spanish book that uses a similar=20
approach (I've done well with Russian book "The Way of a Bird Without=20
Tail" =E2=80=94 the idea is to use imagination for mnemonics of kanji).
I've been learning Japanese by myself for two years but considering my=20=

laziness I ended with poor vocabulary and about 400 kanji (I didn't=20
have Heisig's book then) though good grammar. Now I somewhat stopped=20
but I think I'm going to continue my study if I have an opportunity to=20=

find a native Japanese speaker. It's hard to master colloquial speech=20
without that.

Your sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish=

Daniel DeLorme

Suraj said:
I just watched lots and lots of Japanese anime with English subtitles.
;-)

It is a good approach *in addition* to your usual study of the language
because it helps you learn the culture through immersion... I cannot
afford to visit Japan, so anime is the next best thing.

I did that too but now all my Japanese friends tell me I speak like an
anime character.

Can't win 'em all...

Daniel