Oh, The Horror!

Matt Lawrence

I'm having to rewrite a bunch of broken Perl code. I would be converting
it to Ruby, but I haven't been able to get Ruby to work correctly under
AIX. This is frustrating.

Also, I find myself thinking in Ruby and translating the code into Perl.

-- Matt
Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_

Robert Klemme

Matt Lawrence said:
I'm having to rewrite a bunch of broken Perl code. I would be converting
it to Ruby, but I haven't been able to get Ruby to work correctly under
AIX. This is frustrating.

Any specific problems? Maybe here's someone who can help out.
Also, I find myself thinking in Ruby and translating the code into Perl.

This will likely yield better code than thinking and coding in Perl. :)

Good luck!

robert

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng

I'm having to rewrite a bunch of broken Perl code. I would be converting
it to Ruby, but I haven't been able to get Ruby to work correctly under

Can you narrow down the failure cases?

I remember AIX does some things differently, but I can't remember
what. ISTR that you can't build GCC on it that easily, and you need
to get a GCC binary, but this is from
wasn't-really-paying-attention-at-the-time memory, and a few years
back. But, if my brain isn't totally addled, your results may
depend on how you built ruby.

Maybe someone can confirm or deny this before you do anything
drastic.
AIX. This is frustrating.

Also, I find myself thinking in Ruby and translating the code into Perl.

Tricky one to fix, that. :)
Hugh

Alexey Verkhovsky

Matt said:
but I haven't been able to get Ruby to work correctly under AIX. This
is frustrating.

I have the same problem with HPUX - I can compile Ruby, but not with
--enable-pthread option, and without that option Ruby is nearly useless,
because it can't access Oracle. :(((

--
Best regards,

Alexey Verkhovsky

Ruby Forum: http://ruby-forum.org (moderator)
RForum: http://rforum.andreas-s.net (co-author)
Instiki: http://instiki.org (maintainer)

tony summerfelt

Also, I find myself thinking in Ruby and translating the code into Perl.

i'm still doing it the other way around...as i get more comfortable
with ruby, it's starting to change...

the thing i miss the most with going from perl to ruby is using '$' in
front of all variables...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org