Ok experts...answer this one

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html

    Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on the
    screen?
    Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.
     
    Richard, Jan 7, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html


    > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on
    > the screen?
    > Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    > I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.


    Found out how to keep the image from moving with the hand movement.
    And a way to kind of change the location.
    But would like the large image more static in the center just below the
    thumbnail row if possible.
     
    Richard, Jan 7, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Richard

    Steve R. Guest

    Richard wrote in message ...
    > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on

    the
    > screen?


    Oh, but that would have been so simple using tables,
    yet some of these guys persist in using complex CSS :~(
     
    Steve R., Jan 7, 2004
    #3
  4. In article <uE_Kb.9307$>, "Steve
    R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> says...
    > Richard wrote in message ...
    > > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    > > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on

    > the
    > > screen?

    >
    > Oh, but that would have been so simple using tables,
    > yet some of these guys persist in using complex CSS :~(


    He's trying to improve his skills. Usually he talks crap, but I have to
    give him credit for what he's trying to do.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
     
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 7, 2004
    #4
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Steve R. wrote:

    > Richard wrote in message ...
    >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    >> Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on

    > the
    >> screen?


    > Oh, but that would have been so simple using tables,
    > yet some of these guys persist in using complex CSS :~(


    Rule #1 young grasshopper, around here "tables are for tabular data" and not
    for presentation.
    Sheeeesh. Like tables is akin to the "f" word.
    Duh. I don't see in the group name where it's CSS only.
    If I want to use tables, that's my damn business.
    Bitch to www.cnn.com then and see how well that goes over with them.
    Oh and if you really want to get sick, www.msn.com
    I just looked at that source code and Bill Gates actually paid an idiot to
    write it?
    An idiot with a college degree no less.
    I've seen kids write better code than that.
     
    Richard, Jan 7, 2004
    #5
  6. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    > > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html

    >
    > > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on
    > > the screen?
    > > Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    > > I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.

    >
    >Found out how to keep the image from moving with the hand movement.
    >And a way to kind of change the location.
    >But would like the large image more static in the center just below the
    >thumbnail row if possible.


    You're using the wrong script. The script you have is designed to
    create tooltips (ie boxes that appear at whatever location the mouse
    is at). From the sound of it you want a script that will display a box
    at a fixed location. I'd through away the script you're using and find
    or write a new one. You'll find that as what you want is a lot simpler
    than displaying a tooltip the script you end up with will be a lot
    simpler as well.

    Steve

    --
    "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
     
    Steve Pugh, Jan 7, 2004
    #6
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:


    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    > >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html

    >>
    > >> Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on
    > >> the screen?
    > >> Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    > >> I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.

    >>
    >>Found out how to keep the image from moving with the hand movement.
    >>And a way to kind of change the location.
    >>But would like the large image more static in the center just below the
    >>thumbnail row if possible.


    > You're using the wrong script. The script you have is designed to
    > create tooltips (ie boxes that appear at whatever location the mouse
    > is at). From the sound of it you want a script that will display a box
    > at a fixed location. I'd through away the script you're using and find
    > or write a new one. You'll find that as what you want is a lot simpler
    > than displaying a tooltip the script you end up with will be a lot
    > simpler as well.


    > Steve


    That's the point of the script. A popup window without the popup.
    I have found how to somewhat control placement of the large image, but not
    the part where it gets pushed off the screen.
    I like the script, just needs a few tweaks.
     
    Richard, Jan 8, 2004
    #7
  8. Richard wrote:
    > Sheeeesh. Like tables is akin to the "f" word.


    Abusing markup in general is akin to saying "****", yes.

    > Duh. I don't see in the group name where it's CSS only.


    It isn't. Most of the regulars around here do know what they're talking
    about, though.

    > If I want to use tables, that's my damn business.


    It becomes the group's business when you submit your website to public
    review here.

    > Bitch to www.cnn.com then and see how well that goes over with them.
    > Oh and if you really want to get sick, www.msn.com


    Did either of them submit their sites here?
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 8, 2004
    #8
  9. > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    >
    > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on the
    > screen?


    I'm no expert but the way I would do it would be a little different to how
    you've got it.
    The way it's done at the moment, the tooltip won't display if I have
    JavaScript disabled so I would have the images actually link to a page with
    the tooltip/image even if the user doesn't _have_ to click on the link to
    see it.

    Then, use a script similar to:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    function showTip(id,display)
    {
    if(document.getElementById)
    {
    if(display)
    document.getElementById(id).style.display = "block";
    else
    document.getElementById(id).style.display = "none";
    }
    }
    //-->
    </script>

    From there, your HTML would be similar to:

    <div>

    <a href="img1.html" onmouseover="showTip('img1',true)"
    onmouseout="showTip('img1',false)"><img src="images/img1.gif"
    alt="Image1"></a>

    <a href="img2.html" onmouseover="showTip('img2',true)"
    onmouseout="showTip('img2',false)"><img src="images/img2.gif"
    alt="Image2"></a>

    </div>

    <div id="img1" class="hidden">
    <img src="bigImg1.gif" alt="Larger Version Img1">
    Tooltip text
    </div>

    <div id="img2" class="hidden">
    <img src="bigImg2.gif" alt="Larger Version Img2">
    Tooltip text
    </div>

    and you can use the following CSS:

    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    ..hidden{display:none}
    //-->
    </style>

    If you don't like that, perhaps someone else can help - or, if I've made an
    error, someone will be likely to pick it up.

    HTH,
    Nicko.
     
    e n | c k m a, Jan 8, 2004
    #9
  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    e n | c k m a wrote:

    >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    >>
    >> Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on
    >> the screen?


    > I'm no expert but the way I would do it would be a little different to
    > how you've got it.
    > The way it's done at the moment, the tooltip won't display if I have
    > JavaScript disabled so I would have the images actually link to a page
    > with the tooltip/image even if the user doesn't _have_ to click on the
    > link to see it.


    Thanks for the assistance. The point to the script is, that the author says
    it works in "ALL" browsers.
    I don't want to rewrite it. If I did that, I'd start from scratch.
    Then I'd have browser problems for sure.

    I've run into another snag, where the image does not float offscreen if the
    bottom edge is detected as it does for the left and right edges.

    If you can figure out a way to close out the tooltip window with a click,
    that'd be perfect.
    I have it set now to close the window with a click on the thumbnail rather
    than using onmouseout.
    When the thumbnail is covered by the tooltip, you can't click and close.
     
    Richard, Jan 8, 2004
    #10
  11. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    >
    > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on the
    > screen?
    > Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    > I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.


    Have a look at function positionTip(evt)

    This is where the mouse x and y positions are set, into variables mouseX and
    mouseY, in the first two statements in the function, within the if.

    After the if add:

    // the following overrides the mouse position calculation above.
    mouseX = 50;
    mouseY = 100;

    Flavour to taste.

    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Jan 8, 2004
    #11
  12. Richard wrote:
    > The point to the script is, that the author says it works in "ALL" browsers.


    Doesn't work in Lynx.
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 8, 2004
    #12
  13. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> The point to the script is, that the author says it works in "ALL"
    >> browsers.

    >
    >
    > Doesn't work in Lynx.


    Of course it works, Lynx has perfect Javascript support - it ignores
    everything without fail!


    Matthias
     
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Jan 8, 2004
    #13
  14. Richard

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message
    news:EI5Lb.491$...
    >
    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    > >
    > > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on

    the
    > > screen?
    > > Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    > > I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.

    >
    > Have a look at function positionTip(evt)
    >
    > This is where the mouse x and y positions are set, into variables mouseX

    and
    > mouseY, in the first two statements in the function, within the if.
    >
    > After the if add:
    >
    > // the following overrides the mouse position calculation above.
    > mouseX = 50;
    > mouseY = 100;
    >
    > Flavour to taste.


    Hmm. A clasic [the other Richard] problem. He has not seen my solution, I
    think he has killfiled me.

    Can somebody reply to this, quoting the entire thread, so [the other
    Richard] can see it, please?

    Cheers
    the first Richard.
     
    rf, Jan 8, 2004
    #14
  15. > "rf" <> wrote in message
    > news:EI5Lb.491$...
    > >
    > > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    > > >
    > > > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on

    > the
    > > > screen?
    > > > Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    > > > I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.

    > >
    > > Have a look at function positionTip(evt)
    > >
    > > This is where the mouse x and y positions are set, into variables mouseX

    > and
    > > mouseY, in the first two statements in the function, within the if.
    > >
    > > After the if add:
    > >
    > > // the following overrides the mouse position calculation above.
    > > mouseX = 50;
    > > mouseY = 100;
    > >
    > > Flavour to taste.

    >
    > Hmm. A clasic [the other Richard] problem. He has not seen my solution, I
    > think he has killfiled me.
    >
    > Can somebody reply to this, quoting the entire thread, so [the other
    > Richard] can see it, please?
    >
    > Cheers
    > the first Richard.
    >
     
    e n | c k m a, Jan 8, 2004
    #15
  16. Richard

    Richard Guest

    rf wrote:


    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    >>
    >> Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on
    >> the screen? Rather than having the image move around with the hand
    >>position? I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script
    >>doing it.


    > Have a look at function positionTip(evt)


    > This is where the mouse x and y positions are set, into variables mouseX
    > and mouseY, in the first two statements in the function, within the if.


    > After the if add:


    > // the following overrides the mouse position calculation above.
    > mouseX = 50;
    > mouseY = 100;


    > Flavour to taste.


    > Cheers
    > Richard.


    I was just playing around with your idea. The image still floats around
    regardless.
     
    Richard, Jan 8, 2004
    #16
  17. Richard

    A Hess Guest

    Additional question for (Ok experts...answer this one)

    Somewhere around 1/7/04 12:06 PM, Richard typed wildly with reckless
    abandon:

    > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    >
    > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on the
    > screen?
    > Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    > I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.
    >
    >


    Here's a question to add to the original:

    Can what he's trying to do be done with css with a series of hidden
    (div/span... whatever) set to show on hover of a thumbnail? It seems to
    me if that were possible, it would be the desirable way. Thanks, Aron

    --
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
     
    A Hess, Jan 8, 2004
    #17
  18. Richard

    Steve R. Guest

    Richard wrote in message ...
    > Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set
    > position on the screen?


    Of course you could always use the *Brucies Butterflies* technique, which
    in a way is better, as you only call the large image if you request it. It'
    in the URL below.

    In your case the images are being preloaded whether the user requires to
    view then or not, which to my mind is not a *good* thing.

    http://www.porjes.com/butterflies/
     
    Steve R., Jan 8, 2004
    #18
  19. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Re: Additional question for (Ok experts...answer this one)

    A Hess <> wrote:

    >Somewhere around 1/7/04 12:06 PM, Richard typed wildly with reckless
    >abandon:
    >
    >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/tooltip.html
    >>
    >> Is there any way to fix the floating larger image to a set position on the
    >> screen?
    >> Rather than having the image move around with the hand position?
    >> I'll assume there is but I don't want to butcher the script doing it.
    >>

    >Here's a question to add to the original:
    >
    >Can what he's trying to do be done with css with a series of hidden
    >(div/span... whatever) set to show on hover of a thumbnail? It seems to
    >me if that were possible, it would be the desirable way. Thanks, Aron


    Yes. See http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo2.html

    Steve

    --
    "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
     
    Steve Pugh, Jan 8, 2004
    #19
  20. Daniel Ruscoe, Jan 8, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Luther Miller

    Here's one for you ASP.NET experts...

    Luther Miller, Jul 3, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    350
    Luther Miller
    Jul 3, 2003
  2. B Wagner
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    344
    B Wagner
    Aug 18, 2003
  3. Akram Baig
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    341
    Akram Baig
    Apr 7, 2011
  4. Guest

    One for the Experts

    Guest, Oct 16, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net Datagrid Control
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    148
  5. .NET Follower
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    134
    .NET Follower
    Feb 9, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page