Ok how the hell was this done:

Steve

Hi guys,

Basically I want to float a graphic in the bottom right hand corner of a
page that already has a background graphic. Some kind person made it work
for me last time, but they never explained to me how they did it. The page
is:

http://www.designred.co.uk/nextup/homepage.htm

See how the 8ball graphic stays in the bottom right?

Now I just *cannot* reproduce that effect! I know it's done in .css and from
pulling it all apart I can see that basically it's a div set to 100% of
browser width and height and the graphic set to bottom right. But if I try
and recreate the effect, I can never get the graphic to stay at the bottom
of my browser!! I spent an hour and a half trying and I'm damned if I know
the answer! By the way, I'm using dreamweaver, but not afraid to get my
hands dirty with a text editor... Any ideas?!!

Cheers,

Steve M.

John McGaw

Steve said:
[...]

What is there to figure out? Looking at the source, the following jumped out
at me immediately:

background-attachment: fixed;
background-image: url(../Misc/New%20Folder/images/8ball.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: right bottom;

This is part of the CSS definition of the body element.

Steve

indeed, but if i paste that into my new .css document and apply it to my
div, it no longer sticks to the bottom of the browser window! very annoying!

S.

John McGaw

Steve said:
in fact, here is what my attempt looks like:

http://www.designred.co.uk/test/test.htm

see a thin sliver of the graphic stuck at the top of the screen, rather than
at the bottom right?

HELP!!! Arrrrgghgh!

S.
I've looked at your sample and the CSS is nothing at all like what appears
in the "good" example. The definition in that is:

body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
background-attachment: fixed;
background-image: url(../Misc/New%20Folder/images/8ball.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: right bottom;
}

While that in your sample is:

body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
}

Note the total lack of all the background stuff in yours. Or am I missing
something else major?

Before I forget, you did notice that you had embedded the body CSS in the
HTML and that this would have precedence over any external CSS file's
contents?

SpaceGirl

John McGaw said:
[...]

people always seem to forget the "cascading" bit of Cascading Style Sheets
:)

Steve

Oh dear! Thanks John, I hadn't even realised I was doing that - it *has* to
be at the root of my problems! I will go and investigate!

Steve

Whitecrest

I've looked at your sample and the CSS is nothing at all like what appears
in the "good" example. The definition in that is:

body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
background-attachment: fixed;
background-image: url(../Misc/New%20Folder/images/8ball.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: right bottom;
}

While that in your sample is:

body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
}

Note the total lack of all the background stuff in yours. Or am I missing
something else major?

This has to be the the best response I have ready in a long long while.
To the point, and with humor attached.

Excellent.

Steve

Goddamnit it worked! John, I can't express enough thanks for you taking the
time to look over my code - you could well have just saved my sanity, and
you certainly just made my weekend! Turns out I didn't know as much about
..css as I liked to think! lol

Steve

Steve

thanks for the advice - it's actually done in Flash, and while I know
exactly what you mean about the swish like effect, it just seems so apt for
the Kitchens being assembled, that I decided to go with it...

s.

John McGaw

Steve said:
Goddamnit it worked! John, I can't express enough thanks for you taking the
time to look over my code - you could well have just saved my sanity, and
you certainly just made my weekend! Turns out I didn't know as much about
.css as I liked to think! lol

Steve
Sanity is not all it's cracked up to be...