ok,if theres a god of css, i'll pray!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul Watt, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    Hi yet again,
    first can I say a big load of thanks to everyone who's replyed to my posts
    so far, I *think* this should be the last.

    I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the leftcell
    div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and this
    fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.

    So,
    a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell div
    ?
    or
    b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
    style sheet?

    TIA

    Paul

    --
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    Ooops forgot the URL: http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/ .
    http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/css/turnlayout.css

    Paul Watt, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Paul Watt

    GreyWyvern Guest

    And lo, Paul Watt didst speak in
    alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

    > "Paul Watt" wrote...
    >
    >> I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the
    >> leftcell
    >> div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and
    >> this fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.
    >>
    >> So,
    >> a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell
    >> div ?
    >> or
    >> b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
    >> style sheet?

    > Ooops forgot the URL: http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/ .
    > http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/css/turnlayout.css

    Paul, this is not a FF problem, it's a MSIE problem, since it looks just
    fine in Opera as well. If you must hack, hack it for MSIE, not FF.

    Grey

    --
    The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
    pitfall corollary that nothing is ridiculous.

    GreyWyvern, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Paul Watt

    Buzby Guest

    "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    > Hi yet again,
    > first can I say a big load of thanks to everyone who's replyed to my posts
    > so far, I *think* this should be the last.
    >
    > I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the leftcell
    > div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and
    > this fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.
    >
    > So,
    > a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell
    > div ?
    > or
    > b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
    > style sheet?

    try floating the menu section to the left

    Buzby, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    "GreyWyvern" <> wrote in message
    > And lo, Paul Watt didst speak in
    > alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
    >
    >> "Paul Watt" wrote...
    >>
    >>> I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the
    >>> leftcell
    >>> div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and
    >>> this fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.
    >>>
    >>> So,
    >>> a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell
    >>> div ?
    >>> or
    >>> b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
    >>> style sheet?

    >> Ooops forgot the URL: http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/ .
    >> http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/css/turnlayout.css

    > Paul, this is not a FF problem, it's a MSIE problem, since it looks just
    > fine in Opera as well. If you must hack, hack it for MSIE, not FF.
    >
    > Grey

    Hi Grey,

    Why cant everyone use firefox??
    Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet that
    all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All I need is a
    margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be gone.

    cheers

    Paul

    Paul Watt, Apr 5, 2006
  6. Paul Watt

    GreyWyvern Guest

    And lo, Paul Watt didst speak in
    alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

    > Hi Grey,
    >
    > Why cant everyone use firefox??

    Because some of us use Opera :p

    > Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet
    > that
    > all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All I need
    > is a
    > margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be gone.

    Look up "MSIE conditional comments" and serve MSIE an additional
    stylesheet.

    Grey

    GreyWyvern, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Paul Watt

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Paul Watt wrote:

    > I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the leftcell
    > div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and this
    > fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.

    Sounds like something I've seen before. Try something like:

    * HTML #maincontent { margin-left: -255px; }

    It's a hack, and it won't work in IE 7. (But perhaps the big won't appear
    in IE 7 anyway? One can but hope.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Apr 5, 2006
  8. Paul Watt

    Jim Higson Guest

    > Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet that
    > all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All I need is
    > a margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be gone.

    you can write rules like this:

    * html .foo
    { margin-left:-255px;
    }

    IE is the only browser that thinks there is an element above html when it
    looks at css rules, so you can use it for stuff you only want IE to use.

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Apr 5, 2006
  9. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Watt wrote:
    >
    >> I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the
    >> leftcell
    >> div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and
    >> this
    >> fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.

    > Sounds like something I've seen before. Try something like:
    >
    > * HTML #maincontent { margin-left: -255px; }
    >
    > It's a hack, and it won't work in IE 7. (But perhaps the big won't appear
    > in IE 7 anyway? One can but hope.)

    Got it sorted. I used the "underscore" hack in the end. _margin-left:-255px;
    did the trick

    Thanks to all who helped!

    Paul

    Paul Watt, Apr 5, 2006
  10. Paul Watt

    JDS Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:51:30 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:

    > So,
    > a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell div
    > ?
    > or
    > b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
    > style sheet?

    You already used your last question in an earlier post. Sorry.

    --
    JDS | lid

    JDS, Apr 5, 2006
  11. Paul Watt

    John Bokma Guest

    Jim Higson <> wrote:

    >> Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet
    >> that all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All
    >> I need is a margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be
    >> gone.

    > you can write rules like this:
    >
    > * html .foo
    > { margin-left:-255px;
    > }
    >
    > IE is the only browser that thinks there is an element above html when
    > it looks at css rules, so you can use it for stuff you only want IE to
    > use.

    Don't use hacks, use conditional stuff if this is an IE thing:
    url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp

    --
    John

    Google Suggest Perl script http://johnbokma.com/perl/google-suggest.html

    John Bokma, Apr 5, 2006
  12. Paul Watt

    Paul Watt Guest

    "JDS" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:51:30 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:
    >
    >> So,
    >> a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell
    >> div
    >> ?
    >> or
    >> b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
    >> style sheet?

    > You already used your last question in an earlier post. Sorry.

    I obey no mans rules, not even my own :p

    Paul Watt, Apr 5, 2006
  13. Paul Watt

    Jim Higson Guest

    John Bokma wrote:

    > Jim Higson <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet
    >>> that all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All
    >>> I need is a margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be
    >>> gone.

    >> you can write rules like this:
    >>
    >> * html .foo
    >> { margin-left:-255px;
    >> }
    >>
    >> IE is the only browser that thinks there is an element above html when
    >> it looks at css rules, so you can use it for stuff you only want IE to
    >> use.

    > Don't use hacks, use conditional stuff if this is an IE thing:

    But the conditional stuff *is* a hack! It just happens to be a hack that
    Microsoft added on purpose rather than all the ones they allowed by
    mistake.

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
    > url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp

    What awful URLs MS uses!

    --
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Apr 6, 2006
  14. On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Jim Higson wrote:

    > But the conditional stuff *is* a hack!

    Half of it is more of a hack (syntactically invalid) than the other
    half (treated as bona fide comments by web-compatible clients).

    I ought to turn this test-page of mine into something in my main
    hierarchy, but meantime it's:

    http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/tests/obj.html

    which includes some remarks in the issue, and a link elsewhere, which
    may be of use.

    h t h

    Alan J. Flavell, Apr 6, 2006
  15. Paul Watt

    Guest

    ie measures the box model differently than the others do. ie measures
    from outside border to outside border. other browsers do it differently
    and the box model ends up smaller in the other browsers.

    here is a flash tutorial on how to fix the box model in ie
    http://www.idest.com/csshacks/demos.htm

    box model hack examples. click on "Chapter 3: Hiding Css From Newer
    Browsers"
    http://www.idest.com/csshacks/files.htm

    also see
    http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

    this might be a bit intense for a newbie to follow
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModelHack

    if you still don't understand it join http://www.cssdiscuss.org/ it's a
    css email list. get a throw away email address just for this list.
    you'll get about a dozen emails from them maybe more. they help newbies
    and professionals.

    , Apr 8, 2006
  16. Paul Watt

    kchayka Guest

    wrote:
    > ie measures the box model differently than the others do.

    Um, IE6 in standards mode uses the same W3C-standard box model other
    browsers do.

    You shouldn't be using quirks mode anyway, which does use the IE5x box
    model.

    kchayka, Apr 8, 2006