ok,if theres a god of css, i'll pray!

Paul Watt

Hi yet again,
first can I say a big load of thanks to everyone who's replyed to my posts
so far, I *think* this should be the last.

I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the leftcell
div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and this
fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.

So,
a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell div
?
or
b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
style sheet?

TIA

Paul

Paul Watt

Paul Watt said:
Hi yet again,
first can I say a big load of thanks to everyone who's replyed to my posts
so far, I *think* this should be the last.

I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the leftcell
div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and
this fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.

So,
a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell
div ?
or
b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
style sheet?

Ooops forgot the URL: http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/ .
http://www.paulwatt.info/test/turn/css/turnlayout.css

Buzby

Paul Watt said:
Hi yet again,
first can I say a big load of thanks to everyone who's replyed to my posts
so far, I *think* this should be the last.

I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the leftcell
div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and
this fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.

So,
a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell
div ?
or
b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
style sheet?

try floating the menu section to the left

Paul Watt

GreyWyvern said:
And lo, Paul Watt didst speak in
alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

Paul, this is not a FF problem, it's a MSIE problem, since it looks just
fine in Opera as well. If you must hack, hack it for MSIE, not FF.

Grey

Hi Grey,

Why cant everyone use firefox??
Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet that
all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All I need is a
margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be gone.

cheers

Paul

GreyWyvern

And lo, Paul Watt didst speak in
alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
Hi Grey,

Why cant everyone use firefox??

Because some of us use Opera :p
Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet
that
all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All I need
is a
margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be gone.

Look up "MSIE conditional comments" and serve MSIE an additional
stylesheet.

Grey

Toby Inkster

Paul said:
I've got the page looking practically perfect in FF but in IE the leftcell
div covers part of the maincontent div. I tried margin-left:-255px; and this
fixs it for IE but in FF the div disapears of the page.

Sounds like something I've seen before. Try something like:

* HTML #maincontent { margin-left: -255px; }

It's a hack, and it won't work in IE 7. (But perhaps the big won't appear
in IE 7 anyway? One can but hope.)

Jim Higson

Is there a hack that will allow me have a statement in the stylesheet that
all other browsers will ignore and only be visible for MSIE? All I need is
a margin-left:-255px statement and all my worries will be gone.

you can write rules like this:

* html .foo
{ margin-left:-255px;
}

IE is the only browser that thinks there is an element above html when it
looks at css rules, so you can use it for stuff you only want IE to use.

Paul Watt

Toby Inkster said:
Sounds like something I've seen before. Try something like:

* HTML #maincontent { margin-left: -255px; }

It's a hack, and it won't work in IE 7. (But perhaps the big won't appear
in IE 7 anyway? One can but hope.)

Got it sorted. I used the "underscore" hack in the end. _margin-left:-255px;
did the trick

Thanks to all who helped!

Paul

JDS

So,
a) is there something i've missed with the posistioning of the leftcell div
?
or
b) is there someway of making FF ignore the margin-left selector in the
style sheet?

You already used your last question in an earlier post. Sorry.

John Bokma

Jim Higson said:
you can write rules like this:

* html .foo
{ margin-left:-255px;
}

IE is the only browser that thinks there is an element above html when
it looks at css rules, so you can use it for stuff you only want IE to
use.

Don't use hacks, use conditional stuff if this is an IE thing:
url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp

Alan J. Flavell

But the conditional stuff *is* a hack!

Half of it is more of a hack (syntactically invalid) than the other
half (treated as bona fide comments by web-compatible clients).

I ought to turn this test-page of mine into something in my main
hierarchy, but meantime it's:

http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/tests/obj.html

which includes some remarks in the issue, and a link elsewhere, which
may be of use.

h t h

dwight.stegall

ie measures the box model differently than the others do. ie measures
from outside border to outside border. other browsers do it differently
and the box model ends up smaller in the other browsers.

here is a flash tutorial on how to fix the box model in ie
http://www.idest.com/csshacks/demos.htm

box model hack examples. click on "Chapter 3: Hiding Css From Newer
Browsers"
http://www.idest.com/csshacks/files.htm

also see
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

this might be a bit intense for a newbie to follow
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModelHack

if you still don't understand it join http://www.cssdiscuss.org/ it's a
css email list. get a throw away email address just for this list.
you'll get about a dozen emails from them maybe more. they help newbies
and professionals.

kchayka

ie measures the box model differently than the others do.

Um, IE6 in standards mode uses the same W3C-standard box model other
browsers do.

You shouldn't be using quirks mode anyway, which does use the IE5x box
model.