    PROBLEM 2: COMPUTE PI AS IN THE ABOVE!

    PROBLEM 3: LIST ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A STRING WITHOUT ANY REPEATED STRING IN THE LIST!

    PROBLEM 4: IMPLEMENT A HASH THAT COULD BE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND VERY STABLE AND ROBUST TO BE USED EVERYWHERE TO BEAT OTHER LANGUAGES WITH A HASH BUILT IN.
    88888 Dihedral, Nov 20, 2011

  2. 88888 Dihedral

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 11/21/11 08:12 AM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    > PROBLEM 1: COMPUTE THE EULER'S NUMBER UP TO 30 DIGITS AFTER 1.
    > THE DIGIT REQUIRED SHOULD BE PARAMETER BY THE CALLER!
    >
    > PROBLEM 2: COMPUTE PI AS IN THE ABOVE!
    >
    > PROBLEM 3: LIST ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A STRING WITHOUT ANY REPEATED STRING IN THE LIST!
    >
    > PROBLEM 4: IMPLEMENT A HASH THAT COULD BE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND VERY STABLE AND ROBUST TO BE USED EVERYWHERE TO BEAT OTHER LANGUAGES WITH A HASH BUILT IN.

    Problem 5: Locate and turn off caps-lock.

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Nov 20, 2011

  3. I solved those long time ago in C.
    88888 Dihedral, Nov 20, 2011
  4. 88888 Dihedral

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 11/20/2011 2:23 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    > I solved those long time ago in C.

    Glad to hear it. Just to verify, please post the output of
    your Problem 3 solution for the string

    I solved those long time ago in C

    .... and state whether you are considering or ignoring letter case,
    so we can check your answer.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    Eric Sosman, Nov 20, 2011
  5. 88888 Dihedral

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    On 2011-11-20, Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    > On 11/20/2011 2:23 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    >> I solved those long time ago in C.

    > Glad to hear it. Just to verify, please post the output of
    > your Problem 3 solution for the string

    I like problem 4, because of its well-quantified and concretely targettable
    requirement: "as fast as possible".
    Kaz Kylheku, Nov 20, 2011
  6. 1. Define an order in the symbol set of the string by a sort.
    2. Start from the smallest mapped by the ordered defined which will yield the maximum if reversed.
    3. From the smallest string by the order defined, just generate the next until the maximum is reached.

    I hate to answer trivial questions!
    88888 Dihedral, Nov 20, 2011
  7. 88888 Dihedral

    Ian Collins Guest

    On 11/21/11 09:13 AM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    > 1. Define an order in the symbol set of the string by a sort.
    > 2. Start from the smallest mapped by the ordered defined which will yield the maximum if reversed.
    > 3. From the smallest string by the order defined, just generate the next until the maximum is reached.
    >
    > I hate to answer trivial questions!

    Like you hate quoting context?

    --
    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Nov 20, 2011
  8. 88888 Dihedral

    Eric Sosman Guest

    On 11/20/2011 3:13 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    > 1. Define an order in the symbol set of the string by a sort.
    > 2. Start from the smallest mapped by the ordered defined which will yield the maximum if reversed.
    > 3. From the smallest string by the order defined, just generate the next until the maximum is reached.
    >
    > I hate to answer trivial questions!

    I'm sure you'll be happy to learn that you're tied for third
    place in my fastest-to-PLONK list.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    Eric Sosman, Nov 20, 2011
  9. 88888 Dihedral

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    88888 Dihedral <> writes:

    > PROBLEM 1: COMPUTE THE EULER'S NUMBER UP TO 30 DIGITS AFTER 1.
    > THE DIGIT REQUIRED SHOULD BE PARAMETER BY THE CALLER!
    >
    > PROBLEM 2: COMPUTE PI AS IN THE ABOVE!
    >
    > PROBLEM 3: LIST ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A STRING WITHOUT ANY REPEATED STRING IN THE LIST!
    >
    > PROBLEM 4: IMPLEMENT A HASH THAT COULD BE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND VERY STABLE AND ROBUST TO BE USED EVERYWHERE TO BEAT OTHER LANGUAGES WITH A HASH BUILT IN.

    Please provide the email address of your instructor, so we can submit
    our homework directly.

    Also, please do something about your broken caps-lock key.
    Joe Pfeiffer, Nov 20, 2011
  10. 88888 Dihedral

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    On Nov 20, 2:12 pm, 88888 Dihedral <>
    wrote:
    > PROBLEM 1: COMPUTE THE EULER'S NUMBER UP TO 30 DIGITS AFTER 1.
    > THE DIGIT REQUIRED SHOULD BE PARAMETER BY THE CALLER!

    "Euler's Number"? Do you mean "the mathematical constant e"? Or
    perhaps "a sequence En of integers defined by a specific Taylor series
    expansion"?

    If you mean /e/, then
    a) the number starts with a /2/, not a /1/ (as in 2.718281828...),
    b) Steve Wozniak published a solution to 116000 places, in 1981, and
    c) /I/ wrote and published a C-language solution to 5000 places in the
    1990s
    What's so difficult about a /30 place/ solution?

    > PROBLEM 2: COMPUTE PI AS IN THE ABOVE!

    It's been done. Many times over.

    > PROBLEM 3: LIST ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A STRING WITHOUT ANY REPEATED STRING IN THE
    > LIST!

    A little more difficult, but again, it's been done many times over.

    > PROBLEM 4: IMPLEMENT A HASH THAT COULD BE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND VERY STABLE AND
    > ROBUST TO BE USED EVERYWHERE  TO BEAT OTHER LANGUAGES WITH A HASH BUILTIN.

    Again, it's been done, many times. And it's simpler than e or pi.

    So, what's your point? Or is this a sad attempt to get others to do
    your homework for you?
    Lew Pitcher, Nov 20, 2011
  11. On 11/20/2011 2:12 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    > PROBLEM 1: COMPUTE THE EULER'S NUMBER UP TO 30 DIGITS AFTER 1.
    > THE DIGIT REQUIRED SHOULD BE PARAMETER BY THE CALLER!
    >
    > PROBLEM 2: COMPUTE PI AS IN THE ABOVE!
    >
    > PROBLEM 3: LIST ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A STRING WITHOUT ANY REPEATED STRING IN THE LIST!
    >
    > PROBLEM 4: IMPLEMENT A HASH THAT COULD BE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND VERY STABLE AND ROBUST TO BE USED EVERYWHERE TO BEAT OTHER LANGUAGES WITH A HASH BUILT IN.

    The subject line "OK. LETS START REAL PROGRAMMING IN C FOR PROBLEMS!!!"
    is a lie. It should read: "a cretin who can't turn off his shift lock
    and engages in childish multiple exclamation marks wants someone else to
    do his homework." Or just "Dihedral is a troll, please ignore."
    Martin Ambuhl, Nov 20, 2011
  12. Martin Ambuhl <> writes:
    > On 11/20/2011 2:12 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    >> PROBLEM 1: COMPUTE THE EULER'S NUMBER UP TO 30 DIGITS AFTER 1.
    >> THE DIGIT REQUIRED SHOULD BE PARAMETER BY THE CALLER!
    >>
    >> PROBLEM 2: COMPUTE PI AS IN THE ABOVE!
    >>
    >> PROBLEM 3: LIST ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A STRING WITHOUT ANY REPEATED STRING IN THE LIST!
    >>
    >> PROBLEM 4: IMPLEMENT A HASH THAT COULD BE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND VERY STABLE AND ROBUST TO BE USED EVERYWHERE TO BEAT OTHER LANGUAGES WITH A HASH BUILT IN.

    > The subject line "OK. LETS START REAL PROGRAMMING IN C FOR PROBLEMS!!!"
    > is a lie. It should read: "a cretin who can't turn off his shift lock
    > and engages in childish multiple exclamation marks wants someone else to
    > do his homework." Or just "Dihedral is a troll, please ignore."

    Quite possibly, but it's also possible that the OP has seen the
    recent spate of off-topic flaming and is making a clumsy attempt
    to encourage actual discussion of C programming.

    Perhaps we should consider following his example, if not his
    typography.

    Some advice to 88888 Dihedral:

    1. Don't post in all-caps. It's considered equivalent to shouting, and
    is generally seen as rude. Same for exclamation points.

    2. Questions about actual problems you've encountered are more likely to
    generate good answers than contrived puzzles (unless the puzzles are
    particularly interesting, but frankly these aren't).

    Keith Thompson, Nov 20, 2011
  13. There was some library for big numbers written C. Of course, printing the big numbers won't be the same as printing native types. With other languages supporting big numbers C with some libraries seems not attractive to novices.
    88888 Dihedral, Nov 21, 2011
  14. 88888 Dihedral <> writes:
    > There was some library for big numbers written C. Of course, printing
    > the big numbers won't be the same as printing native types. With other
    > languages supporting big numbers C with some libraries seems not
    > attractive to novices.

    If you're actually interested in particating here, then please
    (a) format your text in lines shorter than 80 columns, preferably
    around 72 and (b) quote some context from the article to which you're
    replying (see 99% of the followups here for examples; Google Groups
    can make this difficult, but the "old" interface isn't as bad as
    the new one).

    Keith Thompson, Nov 21, 2011
  15. On Nov 20, 11:45 pm, Lew Pitcher <> wrote:

    > "Euler's Number"? Do you mean "the mathematical constant e"?

    That is Euler's number.

    The confusion arises because e doesn't stand for "Euler". He chose it
    because other mathematicians had already bagged a, b, c, and d for
    other uses. The C programming language was named on the same system.
    --
    Brand new: seqlogo generator
    http://www.malcolmmclean.site11.com/www
    Malcolm McLean, Nov 21, 2011
  16. On Monday, November 21, 2011 5:45:22 AM UTC+8, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > On Nov 20, 2:12 pm, 88888 Dihedral <>
    > wrote:
    > > PROBLEM 1: COMPUTE THE EULER'S NUMBER UP TO 30 DIGITS AFTER 1.
    > > THE DIGIT REQUIRED SHOULD BE PARAMETER BY THE CALLER!

    > "Euler's Number"? Do you mean "the mathematical constant e"? Or
    > perhaps "a sequence En of integers defined by a specific Taylor series
    > expansion"?
    >
    > If you mean /e/, then
    > a) the number starts with a /2/, not a /1/ (as in 2.718281828...),
    > b) Steve Wozniak published a solution to 116000 places, in 1981, and
    > c) /I/ wrote and published a C-language solution to 5000 places in the
    > 1990s
    > What's so difficult about a /30 place/ solution?

    > > PROBLEM 2: COMPUTE PI AS IN THE ABOVE!

    > It's been done. Many times over.
    >
    > > PROBLEM 3: LIST ALL PERMUTATIONS OF A STRING WITHOUT ANY REPEATED STRING IN THE
    > > LIST!

    > A little more difficult, but again, it's been done many times over.
    >
    > > PROBLEM 4: IMPLEMENT A HASH THAT COULD BE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND VERY STABLE AND
    > > ROBUST TO BE USED EVERYWHERE  TO BEAT OTHER LANGUAGES WITH A HASH BUILT IN.

    > Again, it's been done, many times. And it's simpler than e or pi.
    >
    > So, what's your point? Or is this a sad attempt to get others to do
    > your homework for you?

    I am talking about language features to be checked to be used as a tool to solve problems.
    88888 Dihedral, Nov 21, 2011
  17. 88888 Dihedral

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Malcolm McLean <> writes:
    > On Nov 20, 11:45 pm, Lew Pitcher <> wrote:
    > >
    > > "Euler's Number"? Do you mean "the mathematical constant e"?
    > >

    > That is Euler's number.

    Except when one of them's ~2.781828 and the other one's ~0.577215665.
    Better to include either the e or the gamma in the name to reduce
    ambiguity.

    Phil
    -- Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011), Unix Co-Creator
    Phil Carmody, Nov 21, 2011
  18. 88888 Dihedral

    jacob navia Guest

    Re: Euler's constant

    Le 20/11/11 20:12, 88888 Dihedral a écrit :
    > PROBLEM 1: COMPUTE THE EULER'S NUMBER UP TO 30 DIGITS AFTER 1.
    > THE DIGIT REQUIRED SHOULD BE PARAMETER BY THE CALLER!

    Euler's constant is the limit of the sum when N goes to infinity of:

    1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... 1/N - ln(n)

    This is related to the PSI function (digamma) by

    Euler constant = -psi(1)

    This can be calculated in C with this program:
    (Using lcc-win. Other compilers will be able to do this too
    but in a different way)

    d:\lcc\mc79\test>type teuler.c
    #include <qfloat.h>
    #include <specialfns.h>
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main(void)
    {
    qfloat e=psiq(1.0q);
    printf("Euler constant is:\n%.95qf\n",-e);
    }

    OUTPUT:
    Euler constant is:
    +0.577215664901532860606512090082402431042159335939923598805767234884867726777664670936947063291747

    Thanks to this poster I have uncovered a bug in that function, that I
    could correct.

    lcc-win uses the Cephes Mathematical library of Stephen L Moshier. He uses:

    *
    * d +-
    * psi(x) = -- ln | (x)
    * dx
    *
    * is the logarithmic derivative of the gamma function.
    * For general positive x, the argument is made greater than 16
    * using the recurrence psi(x+1) = psi(x) + 1/x.
    * Then the following asymptotic expansion is applied:
    *
    * inf. B
    * - 2k
    * psi(x) = log(x) - 1/2x - > -------
    * - 2k
    * k=1 2k x
    *
    * where the B2k are Bernoulli numbers.
    *
    * psi(-x) = psi(x+1) + pi/tan(pi(x+1))
    jacob navia, Nov 21, 2011
  19. I suggest 2 or 3 new built in types added to C that will certainly beat other computer languages. I don't think after 10 years C is still not evolved.
    88888 Dihedral, Nov 21, 2011
  20. On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 04:00:21 -0800, 88888 Dihedral wrote:

    > I suggest 2 or 3 new built in types added to C that will certainly beat
    > other computer languages.

    Such as?

    > I don't think after 10 years C is still not evolved.

    Me neither. In fact i think it's evolved quite a bit.

    ___________________________________
    / I'm DESPONDENT ... I hope there's \
    | something DEEP-FRIED under this |
    \ miniature DOMED STADIUM ... /