    (shell-like) language where you run under an interpreter? Does anyone
    know where I can find either a compiler or an interpreter for this?
    Anti-spam email: rwatkins at dssolutions dot com.

    usao, Oct 7, 2003

  2. usao wrote:

    > Ok, so I just recently found out about VHDL. Im interested in
    > simulating a digital circuit to see how it works. I built a simple
    > VHDL script, but now I don't see any way to run this script. Im on Sun
    > Solaris 9, and aparently, you need a seperate compiler other than GCC
    > to compile this.

    VHDL is not connected to any operating system. GCC is a software
    compiler. VHDL is a hardware description language.

    > Is VHDL compiled to binary then run or is it more of an interpreted
    > (shell-like) language where you run under an interpreter?

    No, you need a simulator-environment (consisting of a compiler,
    elaborator and simulator).

    > Does anyone
    > know where I can find either a compiler or an interpreter for this?

    Do not program VHDL. A HDL is a hardware description languaga. You have
    to model hardware. Don't think in C-style.

    Ralf

    Ralf Hildebrandt, Oct 7, 2003

  3. usao

    Jim Wu Guest

    Take a look at comp.lang.vhdl FAQ at http://www.vhdl.org/vi/comp.lang.vhdl/

    Jim Wu
    (remove capital letters)
    http://www.geocities.com/jimwu88/chips

    Jim Wu, Oct 8, 2003
  4. usao wrote:
    > Ok, so I just recently found out about VHDL. Im interested in
    > simulating a digital circuit to see how it works. I built a simple
    > VHDL script, but now I don't see any way to run this script.

    You need a simulator like Modelsim.

    vlib work
    vmap work work
    vcom my_script.vhd
    vsim -c my_script -do "run"

    related thread
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=simulator environment Ramenan

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Oct 8, 2003
  5. Mike Treseler wrote:
    > usao wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, so I just recently found out about VHDL. Im interested in
    >> simulating a digital circuit to see how it works. I built a simple
    >> VHDL script, but now I don't see any way to run this script.

    > You need a simulator like Modelsim.
    >
    > vlib work
    > vmap work work
    > vcom my_script.vhd
    > vsim -c my_script -do "run"

    While the other comments about modeling vs compiling are true, and
    essential in the "mind set" for VHDL, I should mention GHDL, which is a
    gcc extension to compile VHDL into a simulation model.

    http://ghdl.free.fr/

    Regards,

    John

    John Williams, Oct 9, 2003