ok so spacers are old hat..

Paul Watt

hi,
Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and position them
on the page.
Maybe styling a <p> tag or something?
Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
tables in a cloumn vertically.

cheers!
Paul

Marc Bissonnette

hi,
Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and
position them on the page.
Maybe styling a <p> tag or something?
Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
tables in a cloumn vertically.

Have you tried using a transparant spacer image ?

<BFG>

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Seriously: If it works for you, go for it - there's about a million other,
worse, transgressions in web design that are far worse.

I've found that in several applications, using a spacer image can often be
the only way to get a layout *just* right when it comes to cross-browser
compatibility :(

William Tasso

Writing in news:alt.html,alt.websites,alt.www.webmaster
From the safety of the cafeteria
Paul Watt said:

How do you do?
Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
margin?

Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
tables in a cloumn vertically.

perhaps a URL would help?

Jonathan N. Little

|-|erc said:
: hi,
: Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
: image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
: The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and position them
: on the page.
: Maybe styling a <p> tag or something?
: Situation: I'm trying to seperate two different
: tables in a cloumn vertically.

<snip>
height attribute is deprecated, give us a URL and we can best give you a
solution

David Dorward

Paul said:
Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?

I answered that when I poured scored on your spacer image:

"Apply a margin-bottom."

-- <[email protected]>

Alan J. Flavell

spacers can be a last resort if you want to stop a fluid design from
shrinking too much

Without seeing a concrete demonstration of what you're trying to
avoid, and just how effective your "solution" would be in various
browsing situations, my only comment would have to be that you'd do
better to define some margins or padding with CSS - and stop worrying
about what this or that browser might do in the hands of this or that
reader.

I have been known to insert the odd &nbsp; in some text for what
seemed to be adequate reasons at the time, but I wouldn't recommend it
as a general technique. Spacer images even LESS so. IMHO anyway.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Paul Watt quothed:
hi,
Seeing as everyone here poured scorn on my use of a transparant spacer
image, what would you guys sugest i use instead?
The only way I can think of is to put them each in a <div> and position them
on the page.

Yeah, if you have to, put at least one in a div and pad the div.

From your previous, I gather that the sole objective is to vertically
space 2 tables???

David Dorward

|-|erc said:
: height attribute is deprecated,
stop giving phony advice.

That wasn't advice, it was a statement[1]. The advice "don't use the height
attribute" could be implied from it, but wasn't actually stated.

"Don't use the height attribute" is, however, good advice in this instance,
and is certainly not phony (unlike your name ("Pipe dash pipe erc"!) and
email address).

[1] Not actually a correct one as it happens, HTML didn't have a height
attribute for <tr> elements in the first place, so such an attribute
couldn't be deprecated.

Jonathan N. Little

David Dorward wrote:

[1] Not actually a correct one as it happens, HTML didn't have a height
attribute for <tr> elements in the first place, so such an attribute
couldn't be deprecated.

Misread, thought he wrote TH not TR. I guess *I* was giving the phony
advice ;-)

Michael Winter

[snip]
[...] HTML didn't have a height attribute for <tr> elements in the
first place, so such an attribute couldn't be deprecated.

[Jonathan Little] said height [was deprecated], not <tr height>.

His words were written directly after you presented a table row start
tag containing a height attribute. I don't think the context could have
been much clearer.
and if you claim height is deprecated cite something,

David didn't claim that height (applied to a TR element) was deprecated;
Jonathan did. David said, quite correctly, that it didn't exist. See for
yourself. Read the 'official' Strict or Transitional DTDs (table-related
elements are near the end), or look at the attribute index after the
appendices. You won't find the attribute applied to TR elements in either.

[snip]

Mike

Jonathan N. Little

|-|erc said:
: |-|erc wrote:
:
: > : height attribute is deprecated,
:
: > stop giving phony advice.
:
: That wasn't advice, it was a statement[1]. The advice "don't use the height
: attribute" could be implied from it, but wasn't actually stated.
:
: "Don't use the height attribute" is, however, good advice in this instance,
: and is certainly not phony (unlike your name ("Pipe dash pipe erc"!) and
: email address).
:
:
: [1] Not actually a correct one as it happens, HTML didn't have a height
: attribute for <tr> elements in the first place, so such an attribute
: couldn't be deprecated.

he said height, not <tr height>. and if you claim height is deprecated cite something,
because I've never heard such a total figment of anyones imagination like yours. maybe its a tumor?

Pardon but no, you Herc said '<tr height=50>'

http://www.message-id.net/[email protected]

I misread your TR as TH (Table Heading) which like TD (Table Data) use
to allow a height attribute, but is now deprecated in HTML 4.01

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#edef-TD

Ready for a MRI now are we? ;-)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, |-|erc quothed:
: |-|erc wrote:
:
[...]

*Height is deprecated.*

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star.
How I wonder where you are.
Only deprecated high,
So you'll fall down by-the-by."

Jonathan N. Little

|-|erc said:
Here's your problem

w3
Deprecated
A deprecated element or attribute is one that has been outdated by newer constructs. Deprecated elements are defined in the
reference manual in appropriate locations, but are clearly marked as deprecated. Deprecated elements may become obsolete in future
versions of HTML.

Answers
deprecate
To make invalid or obsolete by removing or flagging the item. When commands or statements in a language are planned for deletion in
future releases of the compiler or rendering engine, they are said to be deprecated. Programmers should begin to remove them from
the source code in subsequent revisions of their programs

Any HTML that a class can achieve is by definition redundant, so by definition it MAY become obselete
(as its function is doubled up)

So because w3 want attention, they call 'redundant' 'deprecated' as if they control HTML, but their definition
of deprecated is weak, all they say is it MAY become obsolete, meaning its redundant. The real meaning
is it WILL become obselete.

So all you nitwits are reading about redundant code going..... its deprecated!

Of course, considering style sheets are just a secondary system, redundancy is fine and so are the original HTML tags.

style="margins:0" is also redundant, but its not deprecated simply because its the new way to do it.
"been outdated by newer constructs"

Herc

Yeah, oooooookay... <backs away slowly for he may be accompanied by
rabbit monkeys armed with nuclear bananas>

|-|erc

|-|erc said:
:
: Yeah, oooooookay... <backs away slowly for he may be accompanied by
: rabbit monkeys armed with nuclear bananas>
:

What I meant to say was, just because its redundant doesn't mean its going to be obselete, (deprecated).
w3 are calling everything redundant deprecated.

Are you all involved in some movement to change HTML or something, forcing people to use style sheets?
Getting more programming work perhaps?

Herc

Actually when you start exploring CSS you will being to appreciate how
separating the style from content can save a lot of work and code.
Getting a website full of 'bgcolor', 'align' and 'font' and 'table's and
the client says 'I wish it were green with...' Changing 1 stylesheet vs
all those pages...

Take a gander at:

http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

Oh and BTW that was supposed to be *rabid*, way too late last night!

Jonathan N. Little

GreyWyvern said:
And lo, Jonathan N. Little didst speak in alt.html,alt.www.webmaster:

"Rabbit monkeys" makes for a more amusing mental image ;)

Grey
Except there is no defense against 'rabid monkeys', with 'rabbit
monkeys' you can always distract them with carrots! ;-D