Ok, Uncle on Rmagic

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David Hughes, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. David Hughes

    David Hughes Guest

    I am a total newb in RoR. But this community looks awesome. Am really
    looking forward to learning Ruby and its elements.

    Having said that, the following is a really crummy problem. Am running
    Fedora Core 6. Ruby installed fine. Gem appears to have installed as
    well. Went to install the Ruby Asset manager and the following....

    configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find libMagick or one of
    the dependent libraries.
    Check the config.log file for more detailed
    information.


    I searched and know this is a known issue. I've mucked around trying to
    figure out how to get past the problem. The libMagick .so files are
    located in /usr/local/lib. I yum'd the ImageMagick-devel installation
    as was recommended. And a few other things. And continue to get the
    same error.

    Help? I know this is a really simple problem, but am fresh into Ruby on
    Rails and felt I should ask. I will learn more and more as I get into,
    but am asking for help on this.

    tia

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    David Hughes, Mar 5, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. David Hughes

    Tim Hunter Guest

    David Hughes wrote:
    > I am a total newb in RoR. But this community looks awesome. Am really
    > looking forward to learning Ruby and its elements.
    >
    > Having said that, the following is a really crummy problem. Am running
    > Fedora Core 6. Ruby installed fine. Gem appears to have installed as
    > well. Went to install the Ruby Asset manager and the following....
    >
    > configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find libMagick or one of
    > the dependent libraries.
    > Check the config.log file for more detailed
    > information.
    >
    >
    > I searched and know this is a known issue. I've mucked around trying to
    > figure out how to get past the problem. The libMagick .so files are
    > located in /usr/local/lib. I yum'd the ImageMagick-devel installation
    > as was recommended. And a few other things. And continue to get the
    > same error.
    >
    > Help? I know this is a really simple problem, but am fresh into Ruby on
    > Rails and felt I should ask. I will learn more and more as I get into,
    > but am asking for help on this.
    >
    > tia

    Check this out: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html#libmagick.
    If that doesn't help. email rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org.

    The Installing RMagick on Linux HOWTO is here:
    http:/rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-linux.html.

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Tim Hunter, Mar 5, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. David Hughes

    David Hughes Guest

    Thank you for this response. I will study the URL and see if I can
    break this logjam. Am anxious to get under the hood and learn.

    drh

    Tim Hunter wrote:
    > David Hughes wrote:
    >> I am a total newb in RoR. But this community looks awesome. Am really
    >> looking forward to learning Ruby and its elements.
    >>
    >> Having said that, the following is a really crummy problem. Am running
    >> Fedora Core 6. Ruby installed fine. Gem appears to have installed as
    >> well. Went to install the Ruby Asset manager and the following....
    >>
    >> configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find libMagick or one of
    >> the dependent libraries.
    >> Check the config.log file for more detailed
    >> information.
    >>
    >>
    >> I searched and know this is a known issue. I've mucked around trying to
    >> figure out how to get past the problem. The libMagick .so files are
    >> located in /usr/local/lib. I yum'd the ImageMagick-devel installation
    >> as was recommended. And a few other things. And continue to get the
    >> same error.
    >>
    >> Help? I know this is a really simple problem, but am fresh into Ruby on
    >> Rails and felt I should ask. I will learn more and more as I get into,
    >> but am asking for help on this.
    >>
    >> tia

    > Check this out: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-faq.html#libmagick.
    > If that doesn't help. email rmagick AT rubyforge DOT org.
    >
    > The Installing RMagick on Linux HOWTO is here:
    > http:/rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-linux.html.



    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    David Hughes, Mar 6, 2007
    #3
  4. David Hughes

    John Wilger Guest

    On Mar 5, 6:09 pm, David Hughes <> wrote:
    > Thank you for this response. I will study the URL and see if I can
    > break this logjam. Am anxious to get under the hood and learn.


    If your main goal is to learn Ruby/Ruby on Rails, then I might suggest
    doing so with an application that doesn't require rmagick. Even after
    working with Ruby for a couple of years on various systems, I still
    occasionally curse at my computer when I have to do an rmagick
    installation. I'd recommend picking up a copy of "Agile Web
    Development with Ruby on Rails" and "Programming Ruby". Those two
    books should give you a good start, and you can worry about things
    like rmagick after you've decided that you want to stick with Ruby.

    I would hate to see your frustration with a package that you may not
    even need end up turning you off to the language all together.

    --
    Regards,

    John Wilger
     
    John Wilger, Mar 6, 2007
    #4
  5. David Hughes

    Brian Adkins Guest

    David Hughes wrote:
    > I am a total newb in RoR. But this community looks awesome. Am really
    > looking forward to learning Ruby and its elements.
    >
    > Having said that, the following is a really crummy problem. Am running
    > Fedora Core 6. Ruby installed fine. Gem appears to have installed as
    > well. Went to install the Ruby Asset manager and the following....
    >
    > configure: error: Can't install RMagick. Can't find libMagick or one of
    > the dependent libraries.
    > Check the config.log file for more detailed
    > information.


    I don't know the specifics of how you need to use RMagick, but if it's
    fairly simple you can try just shelling out to imagemagick. In my case,
    I only needed to resize an image, so I just used backtick to call the
    imagemagick convert command:

    `convert -resize 480x360 #{temp_file_path} #{file_path}`

    As long as imagemagick has been installed (fairly common on Linux), it
    works fine. Switching to RMagick as been on my list, but it's way down
    on the list :)
     
    Brian Adkins, Mar 6, 2007
    #5
  6. David Hughes

    David Hughes Guest

    This is of course saged advice. I am not so easily discouraged by yet
    another dependency that complains... but agree that working through some
    books and tasks to see if it for me is the smart thing.




    John Wilger wrote:
    > On Mar 5, 6:09 pm, David Hughes <> wrote:
    >> Thank you for this response. I will study the URL and see if I can
    >> break this logjam. Am anxious to get under the hood and learn.

    >
    > If your main goal is to learn Ruby/Ruby on Rails, then I might suggest
    > doing so with an application that doesn't require rmagick. Even after
    > working with Ruby for a couple of years on various systems, I still
    > occasionally curse at my computer when I have to do an rmagick
    > installation. I'd recommend picking up a copy of "Agile Web
    > Development with Ruby on Rails" and "Programming Ruby". Those two
    > books should give you a good start, and you can worry about things
    > like rmagick after you've decided that you want to stick with Ruby.
    >
    > I would hate to see your frustration with a package that you may not
    > even need end up turning you off to the language all together.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > John Wilger



    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    David Hughes, Mar 6, 2007
    #6
  7. David Hughes

    David Hughes Guest

    Was interested in looking at the asset manager which requires RMagick.
    Will fuss with the dependency problem in the morning. Was just quite
    interested to see what the current Ruby Asset Manager did, and was it
    far enough along to bolt on some additional apps.

    Tx a mil for the response.



    Brian Adkins wrote:
    > David Hughes wrote:
    >> information.

    > I don't know the specifics of how you need to use RMagick, but if it's
    > fairly simple you can try just shelling out to imagemagick. In my case,
    > I only needed to resize an image, so I just used backtick to call the
    > imagemagick convert command:
    >
    > `convert -resize 480x360 #{temp_file_path} #{file_path}`
    >
    > As long as imagemagick has been installed (fairly common on Linux), it
    > works fine. Switching to RMagick as been on my list, but it's way down
    > on the list :)



    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    David Hughes, Mar 6, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bengt Richter
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    367
    Bengt Richter
    Dec 9, 2004
  2. Richard Kilmer
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    159
    Kaspar Schiess
    Apr 19, 2004
  3. Paul

    rmagic windows binary ??

    Paul, Nov 8, 2004, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    177
  4. Paul

    gem and rmagic confusion

    Paul, Nov 29, 2004, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    176
    Kaspar Schiess
    Nov 29, 2004
  5. yang jdong

    how to use rmagic in intrantrails

    yang jdong, Jan 17, 2006, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    110
Loading...

Share This Page