Old CGI scripts do not work under Mandrake 9.1

Ceri Hankey

Hi,

I have a few CGI scripts that worked fine under mandrake 8.1 and apache
1.3.?, but having UPGRADED (ie not a new installation) to Mandrake 9.1
and Apache 2.0, I keep on getting a 'file not found' error whwn I run
the scripts - in var/log/httpd/error22.log.

The CGI scripts appear to work fine when called via 'perl -d
scriptname', but fail when called via a Web page.

What has changed in Mandrake 9.1 vs 8.1? Is it Perl or Apache? and where?

regards,

Ceri Hankey

Sisyphus

Ceri said:
Hi,

I have a few CGI scripts that worked fine under mandrake 8.1 and apache
1.3.?, but having UPGRADED (ie not a new installation) to Mandrake 9.1
and Apache 2.0, I keep on getting a 'file not found' error whwn I run
the scripts - in var/log/httpd/error22.log.

The CGI scripts appear to work fine when called via 'perl -d
scriptname', but fail when called via a Web page.

What has changed in Mandrake 9.1 vs 8.1? Is it Perl or Apache? and where?

Don't kmow but it sounds to me like an Apache configuration issue.
You've got a new Apache in the upgrade - and I would think that the
configuration file (httpd.conf, iirc) has been overwritten, and needs
editing. I would start by checking that.

Which "file" is "not found" ? I assume it's the perl script.

Hth.

Cheers,
Rob

Tintin

Ceri Hankey said:
Hi,

I have a few CGI scripts that worked fine under mandrake 8.1 and apache
1.3.?, but having UPGRADED (ie not a new installation) to Mandrake 9.1
and Apache 2.0, I keep on getting a 'file not found' error whwn I run
the scripts - in var/log/httpd/error22.log.

The CGI scripts appear to work fine when called via 'perl -d
scriptname', but fail when called via a Web page.

What has changed in Mandrake 9.1 vs 8.1? Is it Perl or Apache? and where?

It's Apache and hence off-topic for this group.

Ceri Hankey

Tks for reply...
Yeah, it sure looks like an http config problem. Sure would like to know
which file cannot be found - I have tried everything to try to trace this.
Is there any way to get more data in the log files - I have set the LogLevel
to debug, but still do net get not much info on the 'missing' file!

Ceri Hankey

More question re Perl

How to get rid of the following error (in /var/log/httpd/error22_log) when I
try to run a cgi script...

modperl_callback_run_handlers: no PerlChildInitHandler handlers configured
()

What is the correct call please?

Sisyphus

Ceri said:
Tks for reply...
Yeah, it sure looks like an http config problem. Sure would like to know
which file cannot be found - I have tried everything to try to trace this.
Is there any way to get more data in the log files - I have set the LogLevel
to debug, but still do net get not much info on the 'missing' file!

I think the folks at comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi are pretty well
versed in Apache configuration issues. Beyond that, *I* can't really help.

Cheers,
Rob

Ethan Brown

Ceri> Hi,

Ceri> I have a few CGI scripts that worked fine under mandrake 8.1 and apache
Ceri> 1.3.?, but having UPGRADED (ie not a new installation) to Mandrake 9.1
Ceri> and Apache 2.0, I keep on getting a 'file not found' error whwn I run
Ceri> the scripts - in var/log/httpd/error22.log.

Ceri> The CGI scripts appear to work fine when called via 'perl -d
Ceri> scriptname', but fail when called via a Web page.

Ceri> What has changed in Mandrake 9.1 vs 8.1? Is it Perl or Apache? and where?

Ceri> regards,

Ceri> Ceri Hankey

Hi Ceri--

As a fellow "victim" of updating my Mandrake box, I found that some
scripts were having problems because they started with

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

and the later Mandrake versions have perl at

#!/usr/bin/perl

Try running your scripts from the command-line instead of through the
webserver and see if that helps to identify the problem.

--Ethan Brown
--Keyboards: "The Fabulous Pelicans" (www.pelicans.com)
--In a band? Use http://www.WheresTheGig.com for free.