    its inception up until now.

    -Woodzy
    http://www.rtdos.com
    *Prot3anThr3ad*, Sep 29, 2006

  2. *Prot3anThr3ad* wrote:
    > that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
    > with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)
    >
    > working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
    > its inception up until now.

    I think you can get an old version of the Inventor (SGI) source code. I
    remember when I looked at it that it was doing many things to work
    around compiler issues that you wouldn't even dream of doing today. It
    probably won't run on borland tho.
    Gianni Mariani, Sep 30, 2006

  3. *Prot3anThr3ad*

    Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <451e517b$0$15637$>,
    Gianni Mariani <> wrote:
    >*Prot3anThr3ad* wrote:
    >> that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
    >> with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)
    >>
    >> working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
    >> its inception up until now.

    >I think you can get an old version of the Inventor (SGI) source code. I
    >remember when I looked at it that it was doing many things to work
    >around compiler issues that you wouldn't even dream of doing today. It
    >probably won't run on borland tho.

    He could also look at some of Stroustrup's books (D&E, ARM) which
    contains many of the technicalities many in painful detail,
    as well as Stroustrup's various books (same ones) and papers
    (many available on his website http://www.research.att.com/~bs )
    listing many aspects of the history, again main in painful details.
    Actually, unless the narrative is for school, I would say most
    of the job is already done and no need to duplicate it.
    --
    Greg Comeau / 20 years of Comeauity! Intel Mac Port now in alpha!
    Greg Comeau, Sep 30, 2006
  4. yea its for school.

    -Woodzy

    *Prot3anThr3ad*, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Greg Comeau wrote:

    > He could also look at some of Stroustrup's books (D&E, ARM) which
    > contains many of the technicalities many in painful detail,
    > as well as Stroustrup's various books (same ones) and papers
    > (many available on his website http://www.research.att.com/~bs )
    > listing many aspects of the history, again main in painful details.
    > Actually, unless the narrative is for school, I would say most
    > of the job is already done and no need to duplicate it.
    > --

    Thanks, Greg. I never realized that Stroustrup also worked at bell
    labs.
    *Prot3anThr3ad*, Sep 30, 2006
  6. *Prot3anThr3ad*

    Peter Gordon Guest

    "*Prot3anThr3ad*" <> wrote in news:1159636979.584471.168240
    @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

    > Thanks, Greg. I never realized that Stroustrup also worked at bell
    > labs.

    If you are trying to document the history of C++, you have a long
    way to go. It was developed to write the software for Bell's
    telephone exchanges.

    --
    Peter Gordon
    Peter Gordon, Sep 30, 2006
  7. Peter Gordon wrote:

    > If you are trying to document the history of C++, you have a long
    > way to go. It was developed to write the software for Bell's
    > telephone exchanges.

    What I would like to do is document the changes in C++ from the early
    days until the current standard (for example, how many different ways
    can you write the plain hello.cpp program using the different
    standards) which is why i want to look at older source code.
    *Prot3anThr3ad*, Oct 2, 2006