old repository for old C++ source code

*Prot3anThr3ad*

that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)

working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
its inception up until now.

-Woodzy
http://www.rtdos.com

Gianni Mariani

*Prot3anThr3ad* said:
that pre-dates the current standard? (such as that which would work
with borland's dos based Turbo C++ or Windows based Borland C++ 4.5x)

working on a historical narrative (compare contrast style) of C++ from
its inception up until now.

I think you can get an old version of the Inventor (SGI) source code. I
remember when I looked at it that it was doing many things to work
around compiler issues that you wouldn't even dream of doing today. It
probably won't run on borland tho.

Greg Comeau

I think you can get an old version of the Inventor (SGI) source code. I
remember when I looked at it that it was doing many things to work
around compiler issues that you wouldn't even dream of doing today. It
probably won't run on borland tho.

He could also look at some of Stroustrup's books (D&E, ARM) which
contains many of the technicalities many in painful detail,
as well as Stroustrup's various books (same ones) and papers
(many available on his website http://www.research.att.com/~bs )
listing many aspects of the history, again main in painful details.
Actually, unless the narrative is for school, I would say most
of the job is already done and no need to duplicate it.

*Prot3anThr3ad*

yea its for school.

-Woodzy

--
Greg Comeau / 20 years of Comeauity! Intel Mac Port now in alpha!

*Prot3anThr3ad*

Greg said:
He could also look at some of Stroustrup's books (D&E, ARM) which
contains many of the technicalities many in painful detail,
as well as Stroustrup's various books (same ones) and papers
(many available on his website http://www.research.att.com/~bs )
listing many aspects of the history, again main in painful details.
Actually, unless the narrative is for school, I would say most
of the job is already done and no need to duplicate it.
--

Thanks, Greg. I never realized that Stroustrup also worked at bell
labs.

Peter Gordon

Thanks, Greg. I never realized that Stroustrup also worked at bell
labs.

If you are trying to document the history of C++, you have a long
way to go. It was developed to write the software for Bell's
telephone exchanges.

*Prot3anThr3ad*

Peter said:
If you are trying to document the history of C++, you have a long
way to go. It was developed to write the software for Bell's
telephone exchanges.

What I would like to do is document the changes in C++ from the early
days until the current standard (for example, how many different ways
can you write the plain hello.cpp program using the different
standards) which is why i want to look at older source code.