Older versions of Ruby

Dave Ford

Hello,

I am a total newbie with regard to Ruby. I am finding that the only
version available for download is 1.9.2. However, I need this as a
prerequisite for installing Redmine, which requires 1.8.6 or 1.8.7. I
lack the ability/experience to troubleshoot install issues, so I am
wondering if 1.9.2 will work with Redmine 1.1.1. My platform is Oracle
Enterprise Linux, which is basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Any help
or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

David Jacobs

I don't know what the package repositories have in Oracle Enterprise Linux, but you can always download 1.8.7 from the Ruby language site and compile it to your liking. (Ruby is written in C.)

David

Chris Kottom

This problem goes away if you use Ruby Version Manager (rvm). Wayne Seguin
maintains the tool with a set of Rubies that includes latest patch releases
of MRI 1.8.6, 1.8.7, 1.9.1, 1.9.2 as well as alternative interpreters.

See:
http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/
<http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/>http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/
<http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/>

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:25 AM, David Jacobs <
I don't know what the package repositories have in Oracle Enterprise Linux,
but you can always download 1.8.7 from the Ruby language site and compile it
to your liking. (Ruby is written in C.)

David

Brian Candler

Dave Ford wrote in post #984839:
Hello,

I am a total newbie with regard to Ruby. I am finding that the only
version available for download is 1.9.2.

Where did you look?
My platform is Oracle
Enterprise Linux, which is basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Then by default you'll probably get something ancient like 1.8.1 :)

A search for "ruby rpm" gives:
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=ruby

The Fedora packages might be usable, but you might have to rebuild them
from the source RPM. Last time I did this, I think there was a minor
dependency change needed (one of the X11 libs had changed its name, I'm
sorry I can't remember exactly which one)

Otherwise, you can just build from source. All the versions are
available at ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/

Dave Ford

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunaly, RVM is not an option for
me, as the server is on a network with no connection to the internet.
The FTP site is precisely what I was looking for. Again, thank you so
much for your quick and thorough replies. What a great community! And
thank you for not slamming a total newbie question.

Cheers,
Dave