Oldest usable computer for development ?

msswasstastic

I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
I go?

Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

My old P2 MMX 233mhz desktop still runs this stuff fine.

Jonathan N. Little

I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
I go?

Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

My old P2 MMX 233mhz desktop still runs this stuff fine.

I had MDK7.2 on a K6-233 160MB running Apache 1.3 with 10 local mirrors
of websites, samba server, bind (dns for lan and local mirrored sites)
and was the router and firewall for lan 6 computers to internet...ran
fine. I would not expect Fedora core 3 would be too peppy though!

saz

I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
I go?

Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

My old P2 MMX 233mhz desktop still runs this stuff fine.
That should be fine for testing purposes, but I would definitely bump up
the RAM to 128 or better.

Toby Inkster

Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

Yeah -- you could even run a medium sized (1000-ish visitors per day)
production website or two off that. Plenty good for testing.

JDS

would not expect Fedora core 3 would be too peppy though!

FC3 would be fine as long as you don't use (or install) Gnome or KDE. But
why would you need either of those on a server, anyways?

Leonard Blaisdell

I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
I go?

Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

I used to run all of what you want on a 200Mz PowerMac 9600 with 128Mb
of RAM running Linux and ICEwm. And very well too. I suspect you can go
"very" cheap. Especially if you're running development and not looking
for guests. At the most, you will need a RAM upgrade which ought to be
cheap, and most importantly, you need builds of the applications you
will run that are compatabile with your system. Apache, PHP, MySQL,
browsers for checking your work and a decent editor. Some builds drop
off the map as the years go by. Some source code might not compile on
modern OS's. That's your challenge if you want to maintain an OS that
doesn't require excessive RAM and CPU power.
Tell your friend that if there's a cost to the computer, you'd rather
defray it until you find out if it does what you want. I doubt the
computer is anything to him but a biohazard. Otherwise, go for it.

leo

Lauri Raittila

in said:
I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
I go?

Do you also want to test your websites on it? That would limit you a lot
more than server stuff.
Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

For small server, it is OK. For webbrowsers it is not much. I assume you
have some reason to want laptop? You can get better desktop computers for
free (or cheaper).