    sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

    My old P2 MMX 233mhz desktop still runs this stuff fine.
    , Jun 11, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
    > laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
    > I go?
    >
    > Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
    > sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.
    >
    > My old P2 MMX 233mhz desktop still runs this stuff fine.

    I had MDK7.2 on a K6-233 160MB running Apache 1.3 with 10 local mirrors
    of websites, samba server, bind (dns for lan and local mirrored sites)
    and was the router and firewall for lan 6 computers to internet...ran
    fine. I would not expect Fedora core 3 would be too peppy though!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 11, 2005

  3. saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
    > laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
    > I go?
    >
    > Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
    > sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.
    >
    > My old P2 MMX 233mhz desktop still runs this stuff fine.

    That should be fine for testing purposes, but I would definitely bump up
    the RAM to 128 or better.
    saz, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Toby Inkster Guest

    wrote:

    > Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
    > sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

    Yeah -- you could even run a medium sized (1000-ish visitors per day)
    production website or two off that. Plenty good for testing.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Jun 11, 2005
  5. JDS Guest

    JDS, Jun 12, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
    > laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
    > I go?
    >
    > Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
    > sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

    I used to run all of what you want on a 200Mz PowerMac 9600 with 128Mb
    of RAM running Linux and ICEwm. And very well too. I suspect you can go
    "very" cheap. Especially if you're running development and not looking
    for guests. At the most, you will need a RAM upgrade which ought to be
    cheap, and most importantly, you need builds of the applications you
    will run that are compatabile with your system. Apache, PHP, MySQL,
    browsers for checking your work and a decent editor. Some builds drop
    off the map as the years go by. Some source code might not compile on
    modern OS's. That's your challenge if you want to maintain an OS that
    doesn't require excessive RAM and CPU power.
    Tell your friend that if there's a cost to the computer, you'd rather
    defray it until you find out if it does what you want. I doubt the
    computer is anything to him but a biohazard. Otherwise, go for it.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jun 12, 2005
  7. in alt.html, wrote:
    > I'd like to run Apache with PHP and MySQL for development purposes on a
    > laptop. This is the only thing I'd use the laptop for, so how cheap can
    > I go?

    Do you also want to test your websites on it? That would limit you a lot
    more than server stuff.

    > Someone offered me a P1 MMX 233 or 266 mhz with 64mb RAM. Would this be
    > sufficient? I can always add more RAM if need be.

    For small server, it is OK. For webbrowsers it is not much. I assume you
    have some reason to want laptop? You can get better desktop computers for
    free (or cheaper).

    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173