On Mozilla composer : how to show quoted text in an HTML page ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Frank Olieu, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. Frank Olieu

    Frank Olieu Guest

    Re: On Mozilla composer : how to show quoted text in an HTML page?

    Vinayak wrote:

    > Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

    I'm afraid you'll have to code it manually (in "source view") and use something
    like:

    Quoted text goes here...

    > and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
    > quoted text ?

    With CSS. Try this on the previous example:

    <...>

    You may use any of the following units: % , em , px , pt.
    You could also use *external CSS*, but this is beyond the scope of your
    question, I guess...

    --
    Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
    Frank

    Frank Olieu, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Frank Olieu

    Vinayak Guest

    Hi

    Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

    and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
    quoted text ?

    Thanks in advance

    Vinayak

    Vinayak, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Re: On Mozilla composer : how to show quoted text in an HTML page?

    Vinayak wrote :

    > Hi
    >
    > Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

    Your question is about semantic markup. Either q or blockquote will
    render quoted text.

    HTML 4.01
    Section 9.2.2 Quotations: The BLOCKQUOTE and Q elements
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-Q
    The difference being "BLOCKQUOTE is for long quotations (block-level
    content) and Q is intended for short quotations (inline content) that
    don't require paragraph breaks."

    > and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
    > quoted text ?

    Either text-indent or margin

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#propdef-margin

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-text-indent

    Note that browser manufacturers will render blockquote with a default
    horizontal (left and right) margin.

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Nov 28, 2005
  4. Frank Olieu

    _Vinayak_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (28-11-2005 16:01):

    > what should I do if I wish to
    > a) blockquote and also have a border around the quoted text
    > b) show the quoted text on a different colour background

    Here's a sample document. Try it out...
    Try to experiment with the values in style"...", to modify the borders, the
    colors etc.
    I don't know about Composer, but Nvu has a CSS-editor, where this can be done
    more easily. (http://www.nvu.com/ free download).

    <head>
    <title>Test</title>
    </head>
    felis elit pretium dolor, in consequat nunc lectus sed est. Fusce eu nisl non
    quam dapibus ultricies. Suspendisse mollis molestie elit.</p>

    background-color: yellow;">

    elit pretium dolor, in consequat nunc lectus sed est. Suspendisse mollis
    molestie elit.</p>

    Pellentesque varius aliquet mi. Donec et lacus nec tortor blandit lobortis.
    Vivamus non velit.</p>

    Frank Olieu, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Frank Olieu

    Vinayak Guest

    Gérard Talbot wrote:

    > Vinayak wrote :
    >

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?

    > Your question is about semantic markup. Either q or blockquote will
    > render quoted text.
    >
    > HTML 4.01
    > Section 9.2.2 Quotations: The BLOCKQUOTE and Q elements
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-Q
    > The difference being "BLOCKQUOTE is for long quotations (block-level
    > content) and Q is intended for short quotations (inline content) that
    > don't require paragraph breaks."
    >

    >> and ... How to decide the indent / margin (in inches or chars) for
    >> quoted text ?
    >>

    > Either text-indent or margin
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#propdef-margin
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-text-indent
    >
    > Note that browser manufacturers will render blockquote with a default
    > horizontal (left and right) margin.
    >
    > Gérard
    > --
    > remove blah to email me

    Thanks to all those who answered on this thread

    blogger doesn't seem to accept <blockquote> at least it just indents the
    para and does not show the quoted text in different background

    I shall try <Q> , </Q> an revert

    Regards

    Vinayak, Nov 28, 2005
  6. Frank Olieu

    Vinayak Guest

    Frank Olieu wrote:

    > Vinayak wrote:
    >

    >>Using Mozilla composer, how to show quoted text ?
    >>

    > I'm afraid you'll have to code it manually (in "source view") and use something
    > like:

    > Quoted text goes here...

    thanks

    what should I do if I wish to
    a) blockquote and also have a border around the quoted text
    b) show the quoted text on a different colour background

    TIA

    Vinayak, Nov 28, 2005